Notices

Cannot function

Old 06-13-2012, 08:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Cannot function

I am thirteen days sober today.

I am in a constant state of brain-fog and cannot concentrate at work or on anything else really. My line of work is all mental which doesn't help. I feel completely drained of energy and no amount of sleep I get seems to combat this. I feel like passing out all day.

Unfortunately, I do not have the luxury of recovering, and THEN returning to my normal life. I have to somehow get through this. I fear that if I don't get my "act together" soon I will loose my job due to non-productivity issues. They are already hiring other people to do the same thing I do and I fear they might hire another one to replace me.

Is there anything I can do to make this process easier? It seems to get WORSE with every day, not better.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zeos View Post
Unfortunately, I do not have the luxury of recovering, and THEN returning to my normal life. I have to somehow get through this.
Lots of us have to do this "on the fly" -- that is, while we're still engaged in daily life. It is possible.

I wonder, though, if you could see a doctor? The extreme fatigue and feeling like passing out could be blood sugar issues or something that a doctor could help you with.

Make sure you're drinking enough water and eating good healthy foods. The crap feelings might persist for a bit but it will get better. You already know that going back to drinking won't help. hugs! hang in there.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Hi Zeos, 13 days sober? You are FANTASTIC. I'm 1 year 11 months and it was 9 months before I became comfortable with sobriety. That's not saying it will take you that long to get "normal", whatever that is. I think fear of losing your job would be an excellent motivator to get back to speed. You can do it. Prayin for ya.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Only been off since June04 so I am not an expert. Heavy drinker for 20 years. Don't know why but I only had mild symptoms this time comparing to other times I quit.

The difference this time, I am done for good in my mind. I have let go of the steering wheel of life and surrendered all control to god.

It's so much less stress, all the preasure is one him and not me. His shoulders are widder then mine.

You are doing fine, try to let go, the more you stress about behing sobber the harder it is. I know about the brain fog, not sure when it will go away. I told my boss I have a headache problem and I'm sehing my doctor in 2 weeks, and that my performance is somewhat effected by this... It will buy you 2 weeks for the fog
Old 06-13-2012, 09:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Lack of sleep is frustrating. My job requires sitting in front of the computer all day, so that didn't help me as well. I used to go for a walk, move around as much as possible. By the end of the day, my body was a bit tired and I got some sleep.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
zjw

I'm a year in my situation is similer. I simply cannot get motivated. I start to work on stuff and i get really angry about my job and have to stop. Sometimes its better and then i get interupted and that angers me as i was on a roll and i end up stopping. I have the same concerns is this going to cost me my job. Am i even capable of doing this job anymore?
Its debilitating it really is. I know it will work out in the end tho
Old 06-13-2012, 11:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Try doing word games such as Scrabble or Crosswords at home.....
Set a time limit...maybe an hour and see if that helps sharpen your mind.
It did for me in early sobreity...

Yes...water and eating healthy are also good for improvements
Add walking to your daily routine.

Way to go on your sober time...it really is the best thing you can do for yourself.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats on 13 days - every day counts

Personally, when I was drinking I ran my physical and mental self through hell. Lots of us find that when we quit we've developed medical issues without realizing it.

See a doctor - drink gallons of water and power drinks (electrolytes).
Old 06-13-2012, 11:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats on 13 days!

I'm 33 days sober and so I remember this well... the same thing hit me around the time you are at, but by day 18-21 it started to lift and now I feel better than ever.

The fog will pass, so just keep eating well and sleeping and taking vitamins, and you'll be ok If you're concerned it might be something else, or if it might ease your mind, then speak to a doctor.

Don't give up!
Old 06-13-2012, 12:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

Try carrying and sucking on some hard candies, we used to call them “penny candies,” since those are mostly sugar they tend to put some into your system. Remember that alcohol converts to sugars in the body and when we quit cold turkey the body will crave that sugar.

Walks in the evening and good diet will get you through the physical adjustments that your body is making.

Jon
Old 06-13-2012, 12:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Zeos, are you going to AA meetings?

All the best.

Bob R
Old 06-15-2012, 08:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats on Day 13
Try to get enough sleep and drink enough water each day. I went through the brain fog thing for months, kept a full time job and a single parent so YOU CAN DO IT!!!! Are you taking a multivitamin? Alcohol depletes the body of zinc as well as other vitamins. Research because that also could be making you feel as you do. May God bless you!!!