Notices

Triggers To Relapse------

Old 06-14-2012, 01:22 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
TheMostSordidSpotOnEarth

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
Steppingitup, what step do you happen to be on? Do you have a sponser?
I've been through the steps many times, and now I try my best to live in 10, 11 and 12. I do have an amazing sponsor, and I am also a sponsor to other alcoholics and addicts from AA, NA and CA. The reason why I am talking about the steps is that they are where I have found the solution to living sober/clean. My personal experience is that they really work. For an alcoholic/addict of my variety, drinking alcoholically from my teens and then heading into years of major drug use I know how big and seemingly impossible freedom like this really is. You said that you're in the Chicago area? There is some great fellowship in Chicago. I might suggest looking for quality sponsorship at meetings that are making themselves known as Big Book studies or Primary Purpose groups. I would love to see you free and carrying the message of your own miracles to your own proteges. It is all within your reach. Really glad you're here, sending lots of encouragement and much love in fellowship.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:36 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Great job! You should be very proud of yourself!
Old 06-15-2012, 07:04 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
"After a time he (the alcoholic) cannot differentiate the true from the false. His alcoholic life seems the only normal one."

Does " I drank because I went to an AA meeting" have the ring of truth about it? or does it sound like the product of a delusional mind? Would that statement have any more credibility than "I drank because I can't leap tall builings in a single bound"?
Once recovered I saw that I drank because I am an alcoholic and that's what we do. Triggers were just excuses and I could rationalise everything about my life into an excuse for drinking if I needed to.

Very well put.

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
I understand what you guys are saying but I still believe certain things can trigger the memory of a fun drinking experience.
For me I associated EVERYTHING in my day with drinking or getting high. Waking up in the morning, breakfast (a drink), getting to work, lunch break, 3pm, quitting time, after work with the guys, football, baseball, fishing, golf, driving a car, etc. etc. etc. Really there wasn't a thing I did or place I went that I wasn't at least half in the wrapper for. I needed to figure out how to not take that first one under any and all conditions, then apply that to every condition that came up that I could try to talk myself into as an excuse.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:47 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Awesome job! You have to be proud that you dodged ALL of those triggers today Keep up the good work!
Old 06-15-2012, 07:55 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nepsis1 View Post
Then eventually when the cravings got too bad I would go to AA and all the talk about alcohol would be so confronting that I'd want to run away and get drunk...
That makes perfect sense to me. I can't explain why but it does.