Notices

New to the board and 1 year My story

Old 06-07-2012, 05:11 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

zjw, I love what you wrote. I'm very impressed by you, what you've done.... 'cuz I know what it is to feel alone and unsupported, but to keep doing the right thing regardless.

It's hard. Real hard! I want you to be very proud of yourself for doing this -- and when you feel like no one notices or cares, know that people here definitely notice and care.

You never know who might be reading you, and might be inspired by you.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:22 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
zjw

Yeah thats kind of my thinking. The right person might hear me and I might hit a nerve and be able to help them. Likewise I might find just the right person that helps me as well.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:00 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Congrats on 1 year sober and free!

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
One thing I try to remember is if I’ve got a bad problem and would like to have a beer then I’d have 2 bad problems and 1 bad problem is enough for the moment.
Ain't that the truth.

AA is a good option, Another option in addition to AA is learning some coping skills.. The links below help with addiction recover and with life in general. Maybe have a look and see if there is anything there that you might find helpful.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:33 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
zjw

well went to my first aa meeting. boy are we a sorry bunch of folks i sat there saying wow how on earth did my life land here. Hearing peoples stories watching them I thought wow these poor folks are just like me absolutly helpless to this disease I am so glad I am not that helpless anymore to it. I remeber being just like them 30 days in 90 days in I remember it was downright horrible. It was tough at times sitting there theraputic at others. I think i'll go back too i didnt say much not sure how much i can say or not say etc..
Old 06-08-2012, 06:41 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'm thrilled you went and are willing to explore AA...well done
:
AA's Steps have proven to be the key for me...allowing joy and
purpose in my life.

I suggest you sit next to an older guy...and ask him any questions you have
Best to do either before or after the meeting..
Each group is a bit different in format but it's up to
you to ask for directions.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:20 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
zjw

Yeah seeing this problem break 50 something year old guy down to tears in front of strangers cause he relapsed again is rather sobering.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:53 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
I think i'll go back too i didnt say much not sure how much i can say or not say etc..
Just listen for a little while...Read the Big Book...Find someone that has done the steps right and have them show you how to do it. It will change your life...I know it changed mine. Congrats on one year...Maybe you can share your second year with a room full of friends and a cake with your name on it.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:09 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Kinda crazy people you care about don't understand but strangers do. I think its bc Most people don't understand or don't want to deal with their own problems, since our friends tend to be big drinkers. If you needed to be clean and they drank as much as you, the guilt and denial will stop them from thinking it was a big deal. The bottom line is it is extremely difficult for big drinkers or alcoholics to do it and I am really happy for you! Do not let the negativity and the lack of caring from others get in your way for your success!!!