Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

It's harder to stop drinking with alcohol in your face all the time.

Notices

Old 06-07-2012, 01:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm seeing triggers all around me because alcohol is everywhere I go and it's very embedded into society. This is even causing my mind to make stupid excuses about why drinking alcohol won't be any harm, though I'm getting better at fighting them off. It made me think that people trying to stop taking hard drugs don't have this problem, as society hates them. But for people trying to stop drinking, because it's legal, socially acceptable, easy to get hold of and everywhere it seems like a big psychological barrier in overcoming a drink problem. Has anyone else felt this way?
Old 06-07-2012, 01:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
So it goes

It is tempting to see alcohol everywhere, but when you are trying to avoid it, then you will notice it

My office is particularly bad, on both sides of the doors, there is a pub, and as one is a Wetherspoons, people start drinking at 8am or earlier

Fortunately now , it doesnt bother me, but when it was warm earlier this year (remember that, back in March!) I hated it, and it was a big test for me.

Keep it up Newstep, and welcome to SR, great to see another member of Team GB
Old 06-07-2012, 01:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Just try and see it as mass brainwashing, believe it or not more and more people are waking up to the fact that alcohell is the Biggest con/illusion ever invented.

Its also very cool and rebellious to be sober.

Let the sheep poison themselves.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
LDT

Story of my life NewStep. Everyone I know ( except for here of course ) drinks. I live in a state that is notorious for it's celebrations and festivals! When I feel confident and comfortable, I can be around it. When I don't, I just exit the scene. I always have an exit strategy... I (finally) pay attention to my inner voice. I recently and very sadly had to turn down a trip to a place I've been wanting to go to all my life. The reason? Too much alcohol would be there and no escape plan possible. I realize there is a lot more to staying sober than just giving up the booze.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I definitely felt that way NewStep, and still do in a way. But the paranoia that people are gonna force me into drinking is slowly slipping away I agree with Billy that you are bound to notice it alot at first though too. Why not avoid it as much as possible for a while? I found that my entire lifestyle was drinking friendly so I had to keep out of it a bit. Don't let it get to you x
Old 06-07-2012, 01:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
zjw

Yea its funny how they want us to be so concerned with our health yet still cant wait to profit off poison. It causes serious confusion. I stated the other day its unethical to profit of stuff say like booze or cigarettes. Choosing to be ethical should keep you from going into the business of profiting off stuff like that. But it shouldnt be illegal. It should sitll be anyone and everyons freedom and choice to do it or not. Just make it yourself etc..
Old 06-07-2012, 01:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
zjw

The other thing to it is you will always have excuses to drink. Success is even sweeter when the challenge is bigger.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

I agree that the challenge of exposure to the drink can make our 'long-term' sobriety stronger, sure has with me, but I really had to break away from all those old haunts, friends etc... even had to walk different paths through the grocery store to avoid it in the first 90 days. Just earlier today I walked into the store with my list of stuff, picked up the paper ad and looked right past all the alcohol sales. It's hell to get there, but stay strong and you will.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I understand what you are thinking and feeling.

But I think how we are conditioned to think about booze, especially in the UK, is not all right.

I started to ask myself 'why is everything celebrated with a drinking session?' Should you always celebrate a birthday, christmas, or the birth of a baby with a massive drinking session?
Why can you not celebrate your birthday with a walk at the seaside and a picnic and no booze. I was really shocked when a friend invited us to celebrate her sons first birthday and it was one giant drinking session. I never saw the baby. She was in bed for two days after as she was so hungover - that's not celebrating a milestone is it? Laying in bed and puking all day?

On television why is there not outrage that most soap characters go to the pub twice a day? Is that real life? When I worked in an office, there was no way I could drink all lunch time then work without falling asleep at my desk later.

I also wonder about sporting events and booze - or rather it makes me smile that we celebrate athletic prowess by getting so smashed we cannot walk straight never mind run or score a goal.

And then finally I think about all the things sad aspects of society that booze is linked to. Like the fact that my regional burns centre is usually surrounded by empty cans of lager and lots of people who have been burnt badly by falling asleep drunk, or cooking drunk.
That so many life changing accidents and choices made happen with booze and you have to live with the consequences forever or other people who don't drink have to, like children etc.

Just a few thoughts that often run through my head.

Take care and let me know what you think x
Old 06-07-2012, 02:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

for me ....I had to want sobreity more than I wanted to drink..regardless.
sure knew how to drink...now I sure know I don't have to.

That required many changes in my lifestyle....turned out to be all positive......
Old 06-07-2012, 03:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

When you've built a sober life you love and don't want to give up for anything, the fact that other people drink or alcohol is prevalent really does recede into the distance...

stick with it NewStep

D
Old 06-07-2012, 04:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

it use to bug me. but not anymore. I don't need to see alcohol to use as an excuse to drink. It just was. Now? Yes I alcohol is everywhere but it doesn't bug me as much anymore. I went to Toronto for a day to celebrate my 6 months of dating my girlfriend and we walked by pubs with patios etc. I saw people drinking but didn't stare and envy them. I see commercials on tv all the time. Smirnoff especially with their new vodka flavors coming out now a days. Last year that tempted me when watching tv once on a night off from the nite shift. Next day? I went out and bought that exact smirnoff item.

I guess it all depends on your recovery on how you see things. For me it doesn't tempt me anymore. I've been sober almost 10 months now which never happened in my recovery so far of being in AA for 4 years now.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Oh yes. I felt surrounded by it too. It is everywhere in our society. I still see it but it doesn't really bother me now. Peace Just say no.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

change yer view. theres more poeple than you are letting yourself see that arent drinking.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

Originally Posted by DarkDays View Post
Just try and see it as mass brainwashing, believe it or not more and more people are waking up to the fact that alcohell is the Biggest con/illusion ever invented.

Its also very cool and rebellious to be sober.

Let the sheep poison themselves.
Cool and rebellious!!! Rock on!!!
Old 06-07-2012, 07:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It used to really bother me to walk past the local bars and stores in my small town but now (5 months later) I don't really notice. I even walk down the wine isle at the grocery store and don't get teary eyed at what I can't buy. So it does get easier if you stick with it!
Old 06-07-2012, 08:20 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NewStep View Post
I'm seeing triggers all around me because alcohol is everywhere I go and it's very embedded into society. This is even causing my mind to make stupid excuses about why drinking alcohol won't be any harm, though I'm getting better at fighting them off. It made me think that people trying to stop taking hard drugs don't have this problem, as society hates them. But for people trying to stop drinking, because it's legal, socially acceptable, easy to get hold of and everywhere it seems like a big psychological barrier in overcoming a drink problem. Has anyone else felt this way?
I don't know about over there, but here in USA drugs are VERY easy to come by.... I expect if you were a drug addict you wouldn't be able to walk around town without seeing someone who knew was holding.

I found that the rest of the world wasn't about to stop drinking just because I can't handle my booze. I had to be honest with me about what it does to ME when I drink it...the rest of the world can do what they like with it.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:04 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I have lived in Australia and the UK for equal parts of my life- both have massive drinking cultures- i to am unsure how to say i don't want a drink! at present i can't get out but that time will come and I know the peer pressure can be overwhelimg - I guess there is a difference between the scenario where you actually DON'T want a drink and one where you actually DO but actively suppress this motivation - i hope I can reach the point where i really don't want it then i think i will be much more confortable with its all pervading presence -
D
Old 06-08-2012, 05:34 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

My view on this changed over time.. either with stronger recovery, or because of the life changes I made that didn't lend to being in situations where alcohol is prevalent. I can't think of the last time I noticed anyone drinking.. (I don't go to bars, none of my friends/family are drinkers, I don't have time for concerts or parties), but I had to set my life up to support my recovery, I'm not interested in that old stuff anymore.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:53 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Thumbs up

Yeah, I know what you mean, NewStep. No matter, forget about it. You'll be surprised how little you'll care about all that noise and drama with drinking and whatever, as you keep your life moving forward without alcohol. All that crap will be so behind you, you'll wonder what the hell were you thinking when you were drinking!!

Take it easy. It totally does get easier.