Notices

Why do I look older now

Old 05-30-2012, 06:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why do I look older now

than I did when I drank? SERIOUSLY! I know you are all going to think that I am nuts but I really do. I looked so much better just 6 months ago than I do now. Just like my picture on my profile. I had nice color, puffy cheeks, my hair looked cute, my eyes were bright and I looked healthy and cute. I do not look like that now. Well, maybe somewhat but I honestly looked better. I looked on other web sites too and others have said the exact same thing about themselves since they have quit. I look older, my hair is not as shiny, my skin does not glow anymore...etc. Has anyone else have this happen? Since I have seen other post like mine on other sites, I know I am not crazy. I still do everything the same as I did back when I drank. Same make up, same hair, etc.... How can one year make a person look so bad when it should be the other way around. I thought I would have looked a lot better since I quit. NOPE! Opposite.... That doesn't mean that I am going to start back up but if it isn't one thing it's another. No wonder my guy friend will no longer talk to me...... I am not trying to sound conceited here but I am being truthful. I am only 44. I do not want to look a lot older than my age. I look blah.... That is also depressing too.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can't comment on you but I'm realizing my bloated face may have been hiding a few wrinkles that are now not so hidden.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

True. I am not beautiful and there are a lot of better looking people out there than I am that is why this is so awkward typing this but I really do wonder what the reason is. I know that when you drink you retain water (I have to take two form of water pills from my Dr.). I would not think that a puffy face from alcohol would make a person look healthier and more attractive and younger but for some odd reason it did for me. Now, when I was wasted? That was another story. But when I was just drinking like 6 or 7 is when I seemed to look like that.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

BTW. That picture was taken Memorial wknd 2011 in the bathroom of the guy that I was dating at that time. It was about 9am and I was on my 4th. UGH!
Old 05-30-2012, 07:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

It takes time for our bodies to recover. Did you only drink for six months or a year?

Go get a facial and a massage. Try a new hairstyle. Pamper yourself a bit. When you mind is healthy and your attitude upbeat, it will show in your skin, your hair, and your looks in general.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You should have seen me before I quit in '89. .......

All the best.

Bob R
Old 05-30-2012, 08:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I too suggest a new look for the new you...shorter hair perhaps?
A tint? New make up to suit your different skin tone?
Softer colors ..shiney smaller earrings? Most deft sun block and
moisturizer helps.

After drink 4 I always thought I was so charming...brilliant and hot
the same with the man I was with... Total fantasy.

Since I've been sober....23 years....I've gotten saggier ..wrinkled and had
severe health and financial reverses. My spirit remains strong...

And...I get regular manicures and hair cuts...put on make up. jewelry and
in style clothes. At 76 I still feel 27 regardless.

All my best as you grow into acceptance and serenity...
Old 05-30-2012, 08:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Maybe your vision is just better now? ;-)

No, but seriously. It could be a lot of reasons, including the stress of learning to deal with life sober, your body going through stages of repair, slight weight loss (you look pretty lean in that pic, so a slight change could have a noticeable impact) revealing wrinkles, etc. I say ignore the possible reasons, address the problem. Get onto a good fish oil capsule, eat lots of protein (good for shiny hair) and treat yourself to a bit of pampering. You must be saving some money on the booze, after all!
Old 05-30-2012, 08:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
a southern belle

Bahahaha.....I chuckle because I keep asking the same thing to myself. I have concluded that I am no longer wearing the "rose colored" glasses and my vision is clearer than I would like it to be! Mags
Old 05-30-2012, 08:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I looked older after I quit. I think I lost some fat under my facial skin. And the bloating was gone... Ah, whatever. I don't feel older.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

i looked older when i stopped drinking because it was the first time in a jillion years i actualy looked at myself in the mirror
Old 05-30-2012, 08:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
I too suggest a new look for the new you...shorter hair perhaps?
A tint? New make up to suit your different skin tone?
Softer colors ..shiney smaller earrings? Most deft sun block and
moisturizer helps.

After drink 4 I always thought I was so charming...brilliant and hot
the same with the man I was with... Total fantasy.

Since I've been sober....23 years....I've gotten saggier ..wrinkled and had
severe health and financial reverses. My spirit remains strong...

And...I get regular manicures and hair cuts...put on make up. jewelry and
in style clothes. At 76 I still feel 27 regardless.

All my best as you grow into acceptance and serenity...
Old 05-30-2012, 08:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

stress of recovery
Old 05-30-2012, 11:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I look a lot better that my old drinking contemporaries. The survivors who are still drinking look at least ten years older, and the others that stayed drinking look rather gaunt these days. They're dead you see.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Zee

Beer goggles... on yourself. You may like to call it 'rose tinted spectacles'!
You are just seeing yourself sober now and have 'cleaned the dust' from your mirror.
I can't tell from your pic really because you have taken it with the light behind you causing a silhouette.
I don't want to blow my own trumpet (but I will anyway) I look heaps better since I quit nine months ago. I expect if you turned me inside-out, my internal organs would look better too!
Old 05-31-2012, 12:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
instant

Maybe it's the lighting?

I ate a lot of chocolate and ice cream for the first six months

I am now a year sober- I have found the opposite to you- There is no doubt I look better- people think I have been on some special diet and exercise

I have never seen alcohol promoted as a beauty product
Old 05-31-2012, 04:32 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
i looked older when i stopped drinking because it was the first time in a jillion years i actualy looked at myself in the mirror
Yes, ts, they say that when an old alcoholic looks in a mirror there is a young man looking back at him saying "What the he!! happened ??!!"

When I look in the mirror in the morning to shave I see my father looking back....

All the best to everyone.

Bob R
Old 05-31-2012, 04:53 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

SummertimeHigh5
I sympathize with you - i am 2 months in and definately look like i have aged- for me it's the unchecked anxiety (i.e. was well checked with alcohol) and weight loss (now struggling to keep up with the calorie intake i managed with alcohol i.e. alcohol provided calories but also stimulated my appetite which is zero without it!). The combination of poor nutrition and stress anxiety can age anyone - and quickly- i'm not saying drinking makes you look better because of such factors but nothing is black and white- my questions to you would be 1/ your levels of anxiety and stress in the recovery period and 2/ weight loss and quality of food you are eating? - i am not up to speed re supplements but i'm sure many are recommended (as in this thread) and as long as you don't go overboard with them I don't think they can hurt - good luck and i hope you soon start to see that gorgeous person again when you look in the mirror :-)
Old 05-31-2012, 05:11 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

everyone looks better, cuter, sexier, after a six pack of beer, or bottle of wine or...etc.. until you wake up in the morning.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:30 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I think it might be your imagination. Lay out in the sun or put on some self tanner. Color always helps. Do you have a skin care regime? Get one if you don't. I use Origins white tea moisturizer and eye cream. A mud mask also helps. Exfoliate too.