Notices

Strong urge...

Old 06-26-2012, 11:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Strong urge...

I have a very strong urge to get drunk. I have 24 days sober today.
Thankfully I have to go to work now, but I'm contemplating getting something after work.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can relate, the thoughts are strong, good you blogged it, if you have a trusted person share it...in my experience if I share my thought it doesn't have as much "power". Congratulations on 24 days!
Old 06-26-2012, 11:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Consider going to an AA meeting tonight rather than having a drink. It helped me quite a bit.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My hat is off to you for sharing. Go to a meeting after work or if you don't do AA, call some friends!
Old 06-26-2012, 11:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Don't have that internal debate Renee. You do not need to drink, you have 24 days to prove that (Well done ) Plan something else to do after work and come on here to let us know how you're doing x
Old 06-26-2012, 11:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Think it through....think it through. Don't give up sobriety just for an urge. Its a cycle. You stay clean , you fall, you start over with guilt, depression, regret, and the one thing that will be and stay on your mind is "Why did I do it?" Then you'll start thinking of all the other places you could have gone.........safest place is maybe a meeting or go running. But fight that urge. Its only a feeling and it will soon subside. You have to stand up for your sobriety, and sobriety is your life. Urges come and go, but YOU must teach yourself how to face the urge,tell it no you will not DRINK TODAY and conquer it moment to moment. You can do this. Fight the good fight. Good luck to you.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

As previously said, GO to a meeting after work !!

These thoughts/urges will die off eventually, but for the first little while YOU need a plan of action when they do creep up.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Remember why you quit in the first place and stay strong. The urge will go away and you will have another day under your belt.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The only thing that will accomplish is a few hours of numbness with tomorrow being filled with pain, guilt and misery. Try telling yourself a temporary fix will only hurt you more. Do anything but drink.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

How did you get on? It would be great to read your reply. We all know about those urges or we wouldnt be here.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

You are stronger than that internal voice. You DON'T need to drink. I am also on day 24. We have a good bit of days behind us. Why drink now? It won't make anything better. You clearly are here because you want support. Get through today!!
Old 06-26-2012, 12:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi. Congratulations on 24 days! Yea for you! You will have urges. Not if but when. The question is what will you do about it? I use urge surfing to manage my anxiety. I hope you check it out. It changed my life into being managable. I am 2 years sober. I still have an underlying urge. The urge surfing allows me to be calm about it. Accept it. The duration becomes shorter with practice. I used to overeact. Now, it's like okay this is happening for a minute. Ok, feel it. Then it subsides. Not just for urges, for any kind of strong emotion. These strong emotions for me were worse in early sobriety. I think they do get less strong but also managing them becomes easier. Best thoughts to you for sobriety. I love sobriety.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you to everyone for your support and wise words
I told my boyfriend (my biggest supporter) how I was /am feeling. So glad I did. I am at work until 11pm so the liquor stores close at 11 (thankfully!) . I don't have any AA meetings that late here. Although I haven't been to one in a long time. I seriously need to find some meetings that fit into my schedule.
Thank you all again
Renee