Notices

Why do I look older now

Old 05-31-2012, 07:21 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

I'm 30 days clean/sober and look like hell. My face is broken out and I've gained a few pounds. I plan on being gentle and kind to myself (which is hard bc I just want to call myself nasty names and belittle myself) and it will all work out in the end. My focus now is on staying sober and working the steps. The rest will follow. I hope
Old 05-31-2012, 11:45 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

First of all, SummertimeHigh, you have nothing to worry about. You are gorgeous. I mean that. (Lest you or others mistake me, I am happily married, and my wife sometimes reads these posts, so this is a neutral third party comment)

I've been sober for 11 of the past 14 months. I immediately put on 20 lbs, as I developed a sweet tooth to replace alcohol. And then another 5 lbs. It's weight I need to lose, but it's solid weight, not that flab that too much drinking can give. I've noticed since this spring that I have life again in my eyes. And I take much greater care of my appearance, usually.

I agree that we go through many changes in sobriety that take some time to manifest. But, I have to take my hat off to our 27 yr old Carol, who has been on this planet for 76 years. She hit the nail on the head.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:31 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

i also feel the exact same way

as you do. it's so frustrating. i looked old while i was drinking, due to alcohol but also stress of raising 5 children mostly alone, stressful job, etc. one of the reasons i did quit drinking was because i thought it was contributing to my aging face. well since i have stopped drinking, i have aged another several years due to weight loss. the fat in my face has disappeared making my former wrinkles turn to sagging wrinkles. i am 53 and most people think i am in my 60s. the worst was the other day when someone thought i had been in high school with him and he was 68. i am in great physical shape because i work out like a fiend to have a youthful figure to distract from the old hag i have become. it consumes my every thought while i am talking to someone and i wouldn't go to a class reunion if they were handing out sacks of money. i have been working on my self confidence and my self esteem through literature, etc. and that part is getting better and to be honest i really like myself a lot as a person. i just hate my face. i am a christian who prays all the time and i have prayed for God to just let me accept myself and love my saggy face but in addition, maybe some humans can give me some direction or some advice, some book or something. i don't know. BTW: sober 2.5 years and my drinking life consisted of 6-8 beers nightly. thank you
Old 06-20-2012, 07:45 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

For those concerned with sagging/wrinkled skin, why not spend the money you are saving in sobriety on some skin fillers such as restalyne, juvederm and/or botox? Injected by a professional, they are remarkable products and truly make a wonderful difference. You should google some of these products and see some of the before and after pics.

P.S. In full disclosure, I've had this done: botox for crease lines in forehead and (juvederm I think) filler (over a year ago but it lasts!) in my marionette lines etc. I am 42 but am very pleased and don't look *overdone.* I saw some pics of women who had it much older than I, and there was some was really incredible skin improvement.

Just a suggestion for those where sagging and/or wrinkled facial skin is worrisome. It is understanding how it would be bothersome after so much effort in achieving sobriety.

Good luck to all.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:25 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I noticed the next couple days after quitting my face looked kind of dull and dry and I had huge carb cravings, after loading up on pasta and other comfort foods I can see the glow coming back.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:57 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lilyrosemary View Post
as you do. it's so frustrating. i looked old while i was drinking, due to alcohol but also stress of raising 5 children mostly alone, stressful job, etc. one of the reasons i did quit drinking was because i thought it was contributing to my aging face. well since i have stopped drinking, i have aged another several years due to weight loss. the fat in my face has disappeared making my former wrinkles turn to sagging wrinkles. i am 53 and most people think i am in my 60s. the worst was the other day when someone thought i had been in high school with him and he was 68. i am in great physical shape because i work out like a fiend to have a youthful figure to distract from the old hag i have become. it consumes my every thought while i am talking to someone and i wouldn't go to a class reunion if they were handing out sacks of money. i have been working on my self confidence and my self esteem through literature, etc. and that part is getting better and to be honest i really like myself a lot as a person. i just hate my face. i am a christian who prays all the time and i have prayed for God to just let me accept myself and love my saggy face but in addition, maybe some humans can give me some direction or some advice, some book or something. i don't know. BTW: sober 2.5 years and my drinking life consisted of 6-8 beers nightly. thank you
Wow. Here I am complaining and I drank 20 nightly. I am sorry, hon. I know. I have gained about 15 lbs since I have quit drinking and am so into Frosted Flakes with 2% and ice cream. I cannot quit and i have never been a big sweet eater. i have no idea what is up with that. Anyhow, I guess we all just need to be thankful for sobriety and this site and for the rest of what we do have. Not to mention having the strength and willpower. However, you all are doing better than I am because I would probably still be drinking hadn't my Doctor and gastroenterologist told me to quit or else. I have not been to an A.A meeting yet. i have looked on here but nothing seems to come up in Tulsa for some reason. My computer has been giving me a hard time too though.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:27 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Grievous Angel

Originally Posted by kiki5711 View Post
everyone looks better, cuter, sexier, after a six pack of beer, or bottle of wine or...etc.. until you wake up in the morning.

Ice
Is nice
Candy
Is dandy
But liquor
Is quicker.

Ogden Nash
Old 06-23-2012, 02:16 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Sobriety date 12/19/2011

I saw the same thing happen to me.

I got an exfoliater for my face and started scrubbuing! I use it every day now. It is from St Ives - the apricot kernel one.
I also put Castor Oil on my face approx 2 times a week and sleep with it on. I just use a little bc it is so thick. I also put on a good moisturizer.

When I wash my face I use an oil based soap - Dr. Bronner's - have used it since I was 13, I buy it by the gallon.

I have used Castor oil on my face since I was 18 or so. It is wonderful for wrinkles and the complexion. It is fairly cheap and lasts a long time, compared to my daily facial moisturizer.
I am having problems now with my pores staying open, and am still craving sugar. I am thinking that is the connection.. I won't beat myself up over it, but when I decide to quit the sugar, hopefully the pores will shut. The alcohol that I use to drink was so much more damaging to my skin than I thought. Hope this helps!!
Old 06-26-2012, 04:14 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hmm, well like others have said, it might have something to do with your body and mind going through the initial stages of recovery. I sure didn't feel good in the beginning of sobriety, and that probably shows in the face. Or at least, when I feel bad I tend to see more flaws in the mirror.

Alcohol makes you age faster, it's bad for the skin and for most other things in the body, so I sure don't think that it is a beauty elixir=)

Give your body and mind some time to cope with the changes, then you will probably start to blossom!