Notices

day 5...blah

Old 05-10-2012, 10:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

day 5...blah

Hey guys,

I am now currently 5 days sober from alcohol , however wife just left for work and I am very tempted to go buy a 12 pack!

Im doing...ok physically...however the mental cravings are insane.

IDK i guess I feel like "5 days?" so what... as I am sure many of you have been thru..." I can control my drinking..I mean its been 5 WHOLE days!! " Crazy thinking right?

Just venting I guess. I have not posted much but have been a long time lurker on these forums. You guys are great for support!
Old 05-10-2012, 11:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

It sure does take a whole lot of determination to get through those first weeks, even though my mind was solid about sobriety it was a hell I never want to repeat.
Keep it going, this is just a temporary stage of recovery and 'that' part of your brain will do\say just about anything to get you to pick the drink back up.
Congrats on five days, most of my early attempts lasted the typical 3 days, now I'm at 7 months and haven't had a those hardcore cravings since the ~90 day mark. (Seems like a long time for you right now, but it goes quick if you can switch up your routine and get busy with other things.)
Old 05-10-2012, 11:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah, I think it's not unusual to feel like you have things under control in early sobriety. Try to stay focused and believe you are doing the right thing. Do you have a support group or a plan?
Old 05-10-2012, 11:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You had better get hooked up with AA,the sooner the better.This is the insanity of alcoholism,the inability to leave it alone no matter how great the wish or necessity.Maybe now you are finding out what it means to be an alcoholic,that the hook is deep in your mind.I know I was horrified to realize how hooked I was on the beer[in my case],went crazy thinking about it until my mind would say to me,"This is the last time,I'll do it once more and then I'll quit forever".And this went on for years.........until.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

In the beginning I would hang out and drink coffee every day at the AA clubroom.

Whatever works for you. All the best.

Bob R
Old 05-10-2012, 12:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The gentleman above me once said something that really helped me...that the ISM in Alcoholism stands for Incredibly Short Memory (thanks Bob! )

I like to 'Think the drink through' too. There's lot's of techniques you can use to help you. I still have these thoughts but it's best not to pay any attention to them and stay strong in your decision to quit. Well done on your 5 days! And welcome to the posting side of SR x
Old 05-10-2012, 12:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
instant

It is insane

cravings are part of the the complexity of withdrawal. They are associted with ideas that promote drinking. They will go away in time if you do not drink- the timeframe for that may not suit you- Try to go with the flow, accept them for what they are, they will go and you will be ok as long as you don't drink.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Didn't drink! Lol headed to my first AA meeting in about an hour. Sorry to devote an entire thread to myself...but since I already did, thought I would give an update
Old 05-10-2012, 04:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Billy - That's what we're here for. Proud of you for not drinking! These cravings will begin to fade away - at least they won't be as intense. Let us know how the meeting goes.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

great decision in the end Billy - awesome

D
Old 05-10-2012, 06:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome, glad you are going to an AA meeting. You will find a lot of face to face support there. I've found that without that (and this website) it's really hard to quit drinking all by yourself.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone!! I enjoyed the meeting and the topics kinda hit home. Guess I was lucky to pick a good meeting. They also gave me a free copy of the big book...4th edition? Gonna start it tonight
Old 05-10-2012, 07:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

When you read the book you will be amazed at how it describes what is going on inside your mind.How did they know?
It is a book written by alcoholics for alcoholics,and if you can apply what is in those first 164 pages into your life you need never drink again.....and be comfortable about it.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by winslynn View Post
When you read the book you will be amazed at how it describes what is going on inside your mind.How did they know?
It is a book written by alcoholics for alcoholics,and if you can apply what is in those first 164 pages into your life you need never drink again.....and be comfortable about it.
lol that is exactly what the guy said to me when he gave it to me.

I really did enjoy the meeting. I felt a little uncomfortable/nervous...for obvious reason being as it was my first time. They were very welcoming, I think 6 different people came and introduced themselves to me (prolly noticed I was a new face)

It was a "discussion" type meeting, lots of people spoke...which I enjoyed.

I will say this. This forum and that meeting saved me from drinking today, so thank you all!

:ghug3
Old 05-10-2012, 08:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
...than never

Are you living, as I was, in a world seemingly specifically set up so that you WOULD drink? You may wannna start building a new world for yourself if that's the case.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:01 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

my 7 years without a drink is a long time. your 5 days is an eternity. keep goin back to meetings,get a sponsor, do what the BB says, and you will understand.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:55 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by betterlate View Post
Are you living, as I was, in a world seemingly specifically set up so that you WOULD drink? You may wannna start building a new world for yourself if that's the case.

Care to elaborate?
Old 05-12-2012, 02:12 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

My doctor agreed that I could follow a healthy eating plan for hypoglycemia i

I re connected with God....very comforting for me..

I also atended AA daily...walked often....cut out caffeine....quit hanging out
in bars and with drinkers....made new friends in AA who shared my new goals.

I timed my cravings....they lasted 5 to 7 minutes in duraation at their strongest.
Not too long to deal with....I took action..put on .music....danced around the
room..took showers and buble baths......drank a lot of water.

They quickly lessened in both time and intensity....had banished bythe end of
my 2nd month of AA recovery...never returned.....

Please do keep your sober time...it's the best thing I ever did for myself.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:21 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Hi Billy,

I have enjoyed your posts. I don't remember much about my first meeting but I think it was similar to your experience. Those guys made me feel welcome, and that was a new experience for me. That's what I remember most, the smiling faces.

Over the next little while they told me how to recover, and they showed me what life could be like sober. You know what? They told me the truth. I followed their suggestions to the best of my ability. I read the Big Book, I saw the promises, it all came to pass. And it was a long term solution. That meeting was over 32 years ago and I haven't needed to drink since. It's so good to see you being offered the same deal.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:18 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hey Billy,

Welcome and congrats on your first meeting. I travel a lot on business, and if you ever need AA contacts in Lexington look me up, I've spent a lot of time there (very hard to do for an Indiana graduate I might add).

Also try and find a big book study meeting, they are the best IMHO.