Notices

day 5...blah

Old 05-12-2012, 07:31 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for all of your support! Im sure you get fly by posts on here all the time from people, yet you are still giving me advice! Very much appreciated

Day 7 now! Yesterday was somewhat difficult. I was driving home after working outside with my brother in law all day...hot, sweaty and tired. Wouldnt ya know I pass my local pizza parlor and there is a HUGE HUGE sign that reads "Ice cold miller lite buckets, $10" I was like REALLY!!! haha Figures...so instead of going in there and getting so drunk i forget which way is up, I stopped at the gas station and got a big coke! Not the same...but still.

I will be attending my next (2nd) meeting on tuesday. Any other book suggestions for a newcomer like myself?

Thanks again everyone!
Old 05-12-2012, 07:34 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dgillz View Post
Hey Billy,

Welcome and congrats on your first meeting. I travel a lot on business, and if you ever need AA contacts in Lexington look me up, I've spent a lot of time there (very hard to do for an Indiana graduate I might add).

Also try and find a big book study meeting, they are the best IMHO.

Thanks dgillz,

I went to school in Lexington (UK) but do not make it back there often. Thank ya much for your support! I recieved a free copy of the big book at my meeting Thursday...Plan on starting it over the weekend.

Oh...and sorry we handed your boys that loss in the Sweet 16 this year
Old 05-12-2012, 07:39 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Books:

12 Steps and 12 Traditions
Dr Bob and the Good Oldtimers (Dr Bob's biography, great on AA history)
Came to Believe
Under the Influence
Beyond the Influence

The first 3 are AAWS books you should be able to buy cheap at your AA meeting/clubhouse. The last 2 do a great job of explaining the science behind alcoholism in layman's terms. I highly recommend these 5 books.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:42 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BillyWeaver View Post
Thanks dgillz,

I went to school in Lexington (UK) but do not make it back there often. Thank ya much for your support! I received a free copy of the big book at my meeting Thursday...Plan on starting it over the weekend.

Oh...and sorry we handed your boys that loss in the Sweet 16 this year
Hey I'm used to getting beat by UK lol.

I think had we not beaten them in December at Bloomington, they would have run the table. Coach Cal wasn't worried about the SEC, he wanted to big trophy.

Its a shame the IU/UK series won't be played next year.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:36 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Made it thru the weekend. Thanks to all for your support
Old 05-13-2012, 10:39 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

That's great news -- congrats! Whether or not you stick with AA, I found going to meetings and being able to talk with others who had gone through the same thing I was going through was invaluable. The face-to-face social support makes such a huge difference. Keep it up!
Old 05-13-2012, 12:12 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Congrats, Billy. Keep up the good work!

:-)
Old 05-15-2012, 11:43 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Ugh I'm sure this is normal... Day 10..or 11?? Idl but starting to feel restless and wanting a drink! Just feel anxious and .... Lethargic? Going to an as meeting tonight
Old 05-15-2012, 12:11 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

What a wonderful thread! I couldn't have gotten or stayed sober without the support of other alcoholics in AA. "Let us love you until you learn to love yourself..." they said. I couldn't have stayed sober without keeping the focus on not drinking TODAY. My mind was all over the place, emotionally it was like 24 hours/day PMS in a full moon. I realized that my best thinking led me to a bottle so I got a sponsor and did whatever she said. I was sure I couldn't stay sober and 20 years later I don't take it for granted.

Thanks so much for sharing your journey with us!
Old 05-16-2012, 09:43 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Went to my 2nd meeting. Didn't care for it much... Still sober though does it take a few meetings , in your alls experience, to find one that sticks? Thanks again for all your support! Still feelin those mental cravings though! Ugh
Old 05-16-2012, 09:53 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BillyWeaver View Post
Went to my 2nd meeting. Didn't care for it much... Still sober though does it take a few meetings , in your alls experience, to find one that sticks? Thanks again for all your support! Still feelin those mental cravings though! Ugh
Theres a million different meetings, best advice I got was "find your own AA" which means I had to shop around a bit to find groups where I could identify with people and felt comfortable. If you don't feel good at one, try a different one that night. If you find some people that you can realy relate to, ask them where they go the next night and check that out with them.

Also grab yourself some ice cream (assuming you're not diabetic). If you really feel like drinking take a half gallon of ice cream, peel the sides of the box down and eat the whole thing. I've never ever ever met a man who put a budweiser on top of a half gallon of ice cream (or two chocolate malted's). Stuffing your gut with sugar goes a long way to reduce cravings.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:02 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Billy are you still with us? Just checking in.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:11 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Yes! Still here and still sober (19 days) it's getting... Somewhat easier I guess but still hard. Especially at my usual drinking times , after work, fri nights , nice Saturday afternoons... Etc but I hanging in there.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:29 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

It was kind of...funny? Maybe that is not the right word. Yesterday I went to the toy store to get a toy for my son. When I got home I went to hide it in this wardrobe thing we have in our living room...and low and behold a half bottle of vodka came rolling out! It was "hidden" lol. I didnt drink it, poured it down the drain, then about an hour later I found two 22 oz empty beer cans in our sheet closet...blah. Just kind of made me realize what kind of dark place I was for these past few years. I am on day 19 and starting to feel a little bit better!

Just taking it day by day for the time being. Thanks again everyone for all of your support!
Old 05-21-2012, 07:59 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

19 days is great!

I love the story about finding the bottle and the empties. I was about as effective as my dog burying a bone in the bedcovers. Like, you didn't expect me to find this?

Keep up the good work!