Notices

What just going out for a beer did

Old 05-04-2012, 05:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What just going out for a beer did

Hi all

It's been along time since I've posted. Just wanted some encouraging words and maybe my post will help someone. I am a weekend binge drinker. I have been in and out of AA. This most recent time, I got a sponsor went to meetings - then I just stopped. I was drinking and for a few weekends was keeping it together. A couple beers out to dinner. No more then three when out watching a band at the bar. But as always, my intake was increasing.

Wednesday I went out to dinner with some old friends. I said I'll just have a beer while waiting. Well, that beer ended up with beers thru dinner, beers after everyone left, beers at the bar, beers after the bar closed (called another drinker to party with), driving my car, ended up backing into something and really messed up my bumper, missed work, family pissed off at me because they had no idea where I was and they were watching my dog for me. I finally called my sponsor and she convinced me what I already knew, that I need serious help - so I'm going into intensive outpatient treatment starting next week.

Once again, moderation doesn't work. I will always, always go back to a binge and the consequences that go along with it.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

Sorry to hear that brdlvr,
I was a binge drinker too (always will be if I pick it up again) and I've enjoyed my 7 months clean\sober so far. Knowing with complete certainty that just one drink would have the exact same result for me as it has for you and so many others (or even worse) has allowed me to get to this point. Once that knowledge settled into my brain along with "You do not have to drink" I really don't feel the cravings for alcohol anymore, although I do not have peer-pressure over the drink in my life now. I sometimes fear your situation could be my downfall, the "I can have one casual drink and that's it" thought, at a weak moment (emotionally too high or too low) and quickly slide back down in the trench.
Hope you can get back on track starting today, don't let the voice make excuses to drink any more. :ghug3 Best Wishes.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good for you for being proactive and reconizing that you need some help. I know if I started again I would slip down the same path. I have tried and the path is plenty worn. I wish you the best.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

brdlvr...Welcome back...

Glad you are getting help...Yes! you too can win over alcohol...
Old 05-04-2012, 07:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yep, moderation never panned out for me. The good news is once I embraced that fact, it made it easy to see that life without alcohol is soooo much easier and more enjoyable than life with alcohol.

Glad you didn't seriously injure or even kill yourself or someone else. It could have been a lot, lot worse. In the big scheme of things, a damaged bumper is a small price to pay for turning your life around. I'm now quite grateful for the low points that propelled me into recovery.

Glad you're back!
Old 05-04-2012, 07:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ready -- you are so right. It could have worse - hurt someone, a dui or wrecked car. Thank goodness I called reached out to my sponsor, did not drink yesterday too and made the call to the treatment center.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
In my Own Little World

The saying that has always gotten me out of a lot of trouble once I realized moderation didn't work: Drinking isn't an option anymore.
No more. No less. Obviously there's A LOT that goes with that too and a program of recovery.
In the end though, I always come back to that.
It's no longer in my vocabulary (drinking).

I hope you learn a lot from the treatment center and have landed a good one! Good luck .
Old 05-04-2012, 01:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I tried the "1 drink" thing about 6 years ago and it got me 2 dui's and a lot of not so good stuff. But the one thing that it did get me was to accept responsibility for me, my actions, my choices and realize that I can't just have 1 drink. Funny how I used to plan around 1 drink because I knew 1 would lead to 12 so I would pick what days I would drink because I knew I could handle a hangover the next day. Thinking that should have told me something long before the cops and the courts did! For me personally I can't wait for the day when I can say "I don't want a drink" instead of "I can't have a drink." I wish you luck brdlvr! Hang in there and remember you are not alone and you are not the first nor the last person to follow that path!