Notices

One Size Fits All

Old 04-30-2012, 07:13 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Using the phrase "one size fits all" and then suggesting that the people here blindly support treatment centers, makes it seem like you didn't come here for advice or input, but to have your own discomfort validated somehow. Why not slow down and re-think this? It's easy to get carried away. I respect your accomplishments, but pride is a big trap I'm sure even tough love hard nosed sponsors endulge in. At the end of the day, it gratifies the inner drunk to pass pointleses judgements, to crusade while ignoring nuances and ramifications. Ask yourself why it bothers the old timers of the group when those addicted to other substances show up. Does the inclusion of someone different hurt your recovery process?
Old 04-30-2012, 07:21 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

While I/we appreciate all of the personal comments, experiances and opnions..they are still just that, personal opinions and experiances.

That is what we do here. This is a support forum for people who want to stop drinking and seek recovery. We share our experiences, strength and hope with others. If this isn't what you were seeking when you came here, then this obviously isn't the place for you to be. Good luck in your search for whatever it is you're looking for.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:35 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community...

We have many here who are winning over their addictions ...useing various methods and concepts.
There is no wrong way to find a healthy future.

Glad to know you are doing the same....
Old 04-30-2012, 07:38 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
Could this mean that NA is struggling because AA is stealing its members and their finacial contributions?
That's one way of looking at it. I know dozens of ex-NA members who said they switched because experienced old-timers and good sponsors were hard to find in NA.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:49 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

"OUCH"
I did not mean to Kick any "Sacred Cows" .

..being an old farm boy I have lot experiance in kicking any type of Cow., sometimes it gets messy....

I enjoyed all of the replies, all which came from your hearts..

Even the reply that ignored the Question but did a great job of "Making personal comments about the Questioner"
But those type of replies go with the Territory...

There is a smiley face that diipicts the last reply but I can not get it to come up..

"If I was not having so much fun being sober I would still be drinking"

PHXBRD (To rise from the Ashes)

Keep Coming back...
Old 04-30-2012, 09:40 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
That's one way of looking at it. I know dozens of ex-NA members who said they switched because experienced old-timers and good sponsors were hard to find in NA.
I believe in 1939 AA had the same problem but managed to find a way forward.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:10 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

To a degree I think addicts and alkies........and gamblers and over eaters can all co-recover - To a degree.

I attend an open Big Book study that's "open." Anyone can attend.....but we read/study the Big Book only. It's an AWESOME group. I'm probably not an effective OA sponsor or NA sponsor when it gets down to particulars of the illnesses/diseases/whatevers....... but if we're all working the same 12 steps, there's a LOT of commonalty.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:38 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

When I went to rehab in 1977 they were saying a drug was a drug, combining addictions in the same group, and telling addicts to go to AA. They donn't care about traditions or the misinformation they spew. All the care about is keeping the beds full and making money. Rehabs may claim to want to help people, but the bottom line is making dollars and cents. It's cheaper just to combine 12 step programs, treat everyone the same, then send them back out the door.

Anyone is welcome in AA as long as they have a desire to stop drinking. IMHO, there is a big difference between an alcoholic and a crackhead, an alcoholic and a junkie, etc.,etc.,. There are different types of cancers and you don't treat them all the same, nor should you treat all addictions as the same. As an alcoholic, I can't related sucking on a pipe to catch a few minute buzz or jonesing to be in an opium stupor.they are different.

When it comes to meetings and talking about drugs, it should come down to respect for the Traditions. If one is really working the 12 steps then one should have the understanding that it's by the traditions that we survive and my self centered opinions or Intrest should take a backseat to just following the principals.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:11 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I went directly into AA for my successful recovery from alcoholism..

Ergo..the only times I have been in any treatment centers was when asked to bring an AA meeting in.
I sure hope someone there was sparked by my ES&H..I'll never know.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:54 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

"Sacred Cows" arrive when an uncomfortable truth is discussed

Still searching for medical evidence that "One size fits All"
Old 05-03-2012, 04:00 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

good luck with that Phxbird.

Asking the same question over and over is not a good use of our site nor is it very useful to our community.

thread closed.

D