Notices

Outburst at Meeting

Old 04-05-2012, 05:39 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

I was at a meeting recently hat summed this issue up for me. It's already well summed up in AA's literature and Bill's subsequent writings, but it was helpful to connect personally to Tradition 1.

At this meeting, nobody fit in. There were the handful of alcoholics, a larger share of alcoholic addicts, some tweakers, some crackheads, some dually-addicted persons, etc. Instead of the intended effect of being more inclusive, this meeting had achieved the opposite effect of nobody being able to identify. Everybody was different, had a different problem, at went to lengths to distinguish themselves from everybody else. It was the exact opposite of a spiritual humility and anonymity.

Sad thing is, it used to be a very strong meeting with lots of recovery. Now, it's filled with that ever-rotating group of 24hr-1yr lengths of sobriety, new people coming and going, but very few ever staying for good. The core set of people with solid recovery that founded the group were nowhere to be seen.

The experience of AA has been that AA does best when it sticks to a single purpose. That's the idea out of which Tradition 1 was formed. When groups don't stick to that, the group doesn't survive and the message doesn't get carried. In the attempt to be inclusive, the message of recovery we have found gets lost. Instead of more people recovering, fewer people actually do.

Also, it's worth considering the harm that groups like this do to NA in their communities. They are effectively preventing NA from becoming a strong recovery force.

Just things to consider. I know at one time I felt very much that 'addiction is addiction' and AA should be be for all addicted persons. After enough years of seeing the failures in the practical application of that opinion, I have a different viewpoint these days.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:39 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Maybe I am crazy, but this makes no sense. If alcohol addiction is so unique, that recovery is damaged by contact with persons with other addictions...then how can NA help people? There are so many different types of addictions there--so if every addiction to every substance is unique, would not NA be as ineffective as AA would be if someone mentioned a drug other than alcohol?

I always thought "singleness of purpose" referred to recovery (which is the same for all addictions). If singleness of purpose refers to "not drinking" rather than "recovery" that sounds like an association of dry drunks.

I always hated it when people say "Live in the solution rather than the problem," but it feels appropriate here. Most meetings I have been to did not allow much talk about drinking or drug use, but rather focused on how members were recovering.

It is sad that people leave when "undesirables" come into a group. But that says more about the ones who leave and the quality of their commitment to recovery. Sure it is easy to reach out to the "right" kind of people. But that seems to miss the point. And it seems to be a cunning infiltration of addictive thinking.

By separating oneself from other addicts and convincing oneself that somehow one's own addiction is unique and special and "not like theirs" is hubris. I never stole anything and never lost a job because of my addiction, but if I believed that I was a different class of addict from the drunk in the gutter or the junkie in a squat---that would not be recovery. I do not think much about humility, but reading this thread makes me realize how important it is. And how rare.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:06 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Cool

In AA, 'Singleness of purpose' does NOT refer to recovery in general; it refers to recovery from alcoholism-recovery over alcohol; it states that AA's 'singleness of purpose' is recovery from alcoholism, and alcoholism only (NOT drugs; NOT all addictions; alcohol/alcoholism ONLY.

There's an article about it on AA's site. See..........: http://www.aa.org/en_pdfs/f-13_fall-winter02.pdf

(o:
Old 04-05-2012, 07:09 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by miamifella View Post
Maybe I am crazy, but this makes no sense. If alcohol addiction is so unique, that recovery is damaged by contact with persons with other addictions...then how can NA help people? There are so many different types of addictions there--so if every addiction to every substance is unique, would not NA be as ineffective as AA would be if someone mentioned a drug other than alcohol?

I always thought "singleness of purpose" referred to recovery (which is the same for all addictions). If singleness of purpose refers to "not drinking" rather than "recovery" that sounds like an association of dry drunks.

I always hated it when people say "Live in the solution rather than the problem," but it feels appropriate here. Most meetings I have been to did not allow much talk about drinking or drug use, but rather focused on how members were recovering.

It is sad that people leave when "undesirables" come into a group. But that says more about the ones who leave and the quality of their commitment to recovery. Sure it is easy to reach out to the "right" kind of people. But that seems to miss the point. And it seems to be a cunning infiltration of addictive thinking.

By separating oneself from other addicts and convincing oneself that somehow one's own addiction is unique and special and "not like theirs" is hubris. I never stole anything and never lost a job because of my addiction, but if I believed that I was a different class of addict from the drunk in the gutter or the junkie in a squat---that would not be recovery. I do not think much about humility, but reading this thread makes me realize how important it is. And how rare.
Well, the program teaches that alcoholism is unique and different from other addictions. If people have problems with grass, glue, etc. there's NA. If addicts want to come to AA that's fine, but they need to change their wording to "alcohol" and not identify as alcoholics, not addicts, not "cross-addicted" (I don't even know what that means--addicted to crosses? it sounds like new age treatment center jargon). There are online NA meetings 24 hours a day now so one can work on their drug issues there even if there are no F2F NA meetings in there area.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:23 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

jojaba, if you have ever gone on a alcoholic "bender" than you can identify with some crack addicts. Crack addicts will go a few days with little sleep, poor hygiene, talking nonsense ect.... Very similar to my alcohol only weekends before I became "cross-addicted". Alcohol withdrawal has some commonality with heroin withdrawal: insomnia, anxiety, sweating, loose bowels ect..... If this was the 20's with Al Capone & Prohibition you would of committed illegal acts by consuming alcohol. IMO chronic alcohol drinking is no longer even socially acceptable. DUI is now considered anti-social type behavior.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:32 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Old 04-05-2012, 07:36 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I'm with Mark here ......
Old 04-05-2012, 07:43 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Yes, this thread is rich.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:48 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Originally Posted by TheEnd View Post
I was sharing my story today at the meeting, when some old timer with many years of sobriety blew up and stormed out, because I had mentioned drugs, oh and apparently I was sharing too long for him....LOL....... It's not like I was the first speaker to do that.............I calmly said, I'm almost done and then continued my share. This isn't the first time he's done something like that.

Tons of people came up to me at the end and told me they appreciated my story, so I'm not going to worry about it. I guess you can't please everyone.

Anyway, it was good. Glad I finally stepped up to the plate!!

Just has a reference, here's the OPs post. May be it could get back on topic?
Old 04-05-2012, 08:52 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by jojoba View Post
Well, the program teaches that alcoholism is unique and different from other addictions.
Second time you've said this, and I'm still asking why.

Of course, you don't know why, since you keep referring to what the 'literature' states rather than what your experience states. In the meantime, people who actually do have experience with more than one substance are telling you the exact opposite. It's certainly your prerogative to form your own opinions, but I'll give you my opinion right now - closing your mind off to the experience of others isn't the best way to find answers in life.

If you wish to argue that AA's purpose is better served by focusing on alcohol alone, then I won't fault you for that. You may very well be right, even though I personally believe otherwise. But this 'alcohol is different' view is not only arrogant & insulting, it's just plain wrong.

If it aids in your recovery to believe the way you do, however, more power to you. But I don't see how it can. Like Miami said above so very eloquently, you're cutting yourself off to a whole world of experience that you otherwise might benefit from.

I realize AA is spiritually-based, but it seems like it's become a form of religion for some, where just like any other you can side-step rational debate by simply stating "That's what the book says."
Old 04-05-2012, 09:13 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

I believe that Alcohol is just one of many problems faced by Alcoholics, and not even one of the top five. Alcohol is introduced into my body long after many other issues come to a head. At least for me that is. I am an Addict, but go only to AA. Actually, in my area, I dont know many AA's that didnt abuse other substances. Some still do. Minding my business is a full time job. Just sayin...
Old 04-05-2012, 09:13 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GrowingDaily View Post
Second time you've said this, and I'm still asking why.

Of course, you don't know why, since you keep referring to what the 'literature' states rather than what your experience states. In the meantime, people who actually do have experience with more than one substance are telling you the exact opposite. It's certainly your prerogative to form your own opinions, but I'll give you my opinion right now - closing your mind off to the experience of others isn't the best way to find answers in life.

If you wish to argue that AA's purpose is better served by focusing on alcohol alone, then I won't fault you for that. You may very well be right, even though I personally believe otherwise. But this 'alcohol is different' view is not only arrogant & insulting, it's just plain wrong.

If it aids in your recovery to believe the way you do, however, more power to you. But I don't see how it can. Like Miami said above so very eloquently, you're cutting yourself off to a whole world of experience that you otherwise might benefit from.

I realize AA is spiritually-based, but it seems like it's become a form of religion for some, where just like any other you can side-step rational debate by simply stating "That's what the book says."
I respect your opinion but I don't "do" AA or recovery through empirical data. I do it through the BB and the words of old timers and what people say in the meetings. I will question when people are cutting up and disrupting the meeting for no reason (I have already posted here about that, don't want to rehash) but I won't go beyond that. In my experience it's dangerous to question the program.

I have to remember my best thinking got me here.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:55 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

That drug addiction and alcoholism has many similarities... is not really the issue here. It does, absolutely, no one can argue that, at least intuitively and by my own personal experience...

AA is for alcoholics. We, at AA, share about our problems as they relate to alcohol. Full Stop...

Some people in AA have a higher tolerance than others for shares that mention experience with substances other than alcohol. The old timer in question (remember the OP) has a very low tolerance for such shares.

I had to remind myself we aren't in the 12 step forum. If you are a member of AA and have experience in sponsorship, meeting attendance, all that... you get it. If not, well, you may not, get it... This isn't about whether alcoholism shares attributes with addiction. It does... duh.

It's about an outburst at an AA meeting
Old 04-05-2012, 10:01 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

There are very few "pure alcoholics" under 35 these days. People, along with AA have to adjust to the times. In fact we use to have a AA/NA titled meeting that had to be taken out of the AA directory after a huge fight. Its 2012, World War 2 and Prohibition has ended and AA has to adjust to survive. I'm grateful that, if I have to, I can talk about my "dope" problem at my local AA meetings.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:28 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

That's all good Just, the tradition of autonomy applies, I think.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:29 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  
L'il fighter

Originally Posted by jojoba View Post
I just don't think someone with pot issues can understand the degradation of the disease of alcoholism. They haven't lived it.
But we're not talking about someone attending AA meetings with only "pot issues". The original post was about an alcoholic who was also mentioning their issues with other substances.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:15 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

We in AA can't be all things to all people.We have Traditions to ensure we don't get off track and try to do that.We talk about alcoholism and the 12 steps of recovery.
You will hear a lot of nonsense in AA meetings,the person that said all addictions were the same was talking nonsense.
Yes,I have empathy for the addict who still suffers but unless they are an alcoholic also then they do not belong in a closed meeting of AA.
It is a privilege to sit in a closed meeting of AA,always remember that.

Cheers,Steve
Old 04-05-2012, 03:26 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

My experience is that I wouldn't use drugs unless I was already drinking. Alcohol gave me the motivation to venture into the "seedy neighborhoods" to purchase drugs. Cocaine allowed me to not stumble so much because of my alcohol intoxication. I really can't distinguish between the two. There very much intertwined.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:37 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by winslynn View Post
We in AA can't be all things to all people.We have Traditions to ensure we don't get off track and try to do that.We talk about alcoholism and the 12 steps of recovery.
You will hear a lot of nonsense in AA meetings,the person that said all addictions were the same was talking nonsense.
Yes,I have empathy for the addict who still suffers but unless they are an alcoholic also then they do not belong in a closed meeting of AA.
It is a privilege to sit in a closed meeting of AA,always remember that.

Cheers,Steve
This is correct. I think a lot of people don't know they're AA history. The Washingtonian Group failed exactly because it tried to help every kind of person. No singular purpose.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:40 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
My experience is that I wouldn't use drugs unless I was already drinking. Alcohol gave me the motivation to venture into the "seedy neighborhoods" to purchase drugs. Cocaine allowed me to not stumble so much because of my alcohol intoxication. I really can't distinguish between the two. There very much intertwined.
That is fine, so talk only about the alcohol part at the meetings. That is all we are asking.

If someone is only addicted to drugs and never had a booze problem, I have no idea why they would even want to go to AA instead of NA. I wouldn't go to NA for my alcohol problem.