Notices

On Day Four...

Old 03-13-2012, 12:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

On Day Four...

It's day four and I feel really positive. Last night I was overthinking symptoms of withdrawal and the little voice in my head told me to buy a bottle just to be safe.....I didn't, I bought a litre of orange juice instead. Today I have money and will be in town, so I guess that's the test for me.
I spent last night popping on this forum and in the chat and I have to say it was remarkable in helping me stay focused on my goal.

Thank you and fingers crossed tomorrow will be day 5
Old 03-13-2012, 03:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
instant

Great stuff Heidi. There are temptations on the road, but I have found more peace and enjoyment in my new life as a sober person. After many attempts at quitting, and cutting back I am 10 months in two days
it is worth the effort involved.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Heidi...Try not to overthink...That's what always got me into trouble....Just work on not drinking today...When you go into town...Make a list of what you need and stick to it...Don't bring a ton of extra money with you...Treat yourself to a nice ice cream sundae or something you like...And have a nice day.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sound advice from Sapling, Heidi. Especially not bringing extra money. If I don't have the cash on me, I can't act on any impulses. Enjoy your day.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When you are tempted to drink alcohol, just think for a moment that you probably won't even enjoy the effect of it as much as you think you will and remember all the destruction alcohol has brought into your life.

Good effort with the OJ!
Old 03-13-2012, 05:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Going shopping is usually when I weaken as well.

I was in the supermarket this morning, singing 'Walk on by' to myself as I passed the aisle with the wine in it!

Good luck and keep up the good work!
Old 03-13-2012, 02:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone

Thank you so much for your wonderful advice and support, went into town as planned and instead of going for a pub lunch, which is my usual excuse for a drink, I went to a wonderfully dingy tearoom and had a coffee which was possibly the temperature of the surface of the sun and a rather floppy fried egg roll. Believe me it was one of the best lunches I have had in a long time, it was almost as if I had crossed yet another invisible line towards sobriety.

Tomorrow is another day, another day for me to prove to myself that I can overcome this and become the person I want to be...

Thanks again xxx
Old 03-13-2012, 02:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good for you...Love to hear that kind of stuff..
Old 03-13-2012, 08:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SR Fan

one of the best lunches I have had in a long time
That's so wonderful, Heidi! I remember what a victory it was to do something (anything!) that used to involve alcohol and for the first time do it sober. It's like training for a sport or playing an instrument....... I got just a little bit better at it each day and felt a little better about myself, too.

There are so many things (like dingy tearooms) to explore - way to go!!
Old 03-14-2012, 04:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Heidi, great job! And now today you will not have a hangover and a bunch of guilt. You did the right thing! It's so hard I know. One day, heck one minute at a time whatever gets you through. The more days of sobriety you earn the better off you, your liver, your wallet, your life will be. Your feeling good right now, keep it up, it only gets better, a new life awaits you, stay strong!
Old 03-14-2012, 12:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Woo Hoo Day 5

If ever there was a day for tempation today was it.... Into town to meet my best friend who drinks but very rarely, we went to a well known coffee shop and I actually enjoyed myself lol.

Later on in the day we bumped into a very good friend of mine who has had a chronic issue with alcohol for about twenty years, he drinks 3 litres of cider every night despite being on whafrin! He asked if I was treating him to a pint, to which I responded that I had stopped drinking, he laughed and then realised I was serious. The three of us went to a pub, he had a cider, my friend a fresh orange and me...non alcoholic pear cider, me so proud of myself.

To top it all off my husband and nephew both wanted a drink tonight, whereas I would normally join them, I have opted for grape juice to sip from my wine glass, it feels so good to make these positive decisions.

I did feel edgy in town and very flushed after being up at the bar but I think it was anticipation of my next possible move.

Here's hoping I can keep this up, at least I am being tested at the early stages, think that is a good thing.

I couldn't do it without this forum and all your invaluable support, my love and prayers to you all xxxx

p.s. hope u dont mind my updates, trying not to be self indulgent lol
Old 03-14-2012, 01:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Heidi, are you going to AA there?

Wishing you the best.

Bob R
Old 03-14-2012, 01:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

No, I understand that it is of a great benefit to many people but it's not the right path for me at the moment. If I come to a point where I cannot travel this road through my own strength and the support of others in my life and this forum it may be something I would consider.

Thank you for asking though
Old 03-14-2012, 01:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Keep the posts coming Heidi...That way we can keep an eye on you...Good job today..
Old 03-15-2012, 07:20 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Heidi76 View Post
It's day four and I feel really positive. Last night I was overthinking symptoms of withdrawal and the little voice in my head told me to buy a bottle just to be safe.....I didn't, I bought a litre of orange juice instead. Today I have money and will be in town, so I guess that's the test for me.
I spent last night popping on this forum and in the chat and I have to say it was remarkable in helping me stay focused on my goal.

Thank you and fingers crossed tomorrow will be day 5
Awesome!

I also quit cold turkey, without any program or method, and I found it to be pretty easy given the unremitting support of my wife. It sounds like you also have supportive family in your life, which is really great.

It helped me to remember that drinking even once is a bad idea, due to risk factors. It's sort of like playing a reverse lottery. Most times I enter, I get a dollar, which is nice. But every once in a while I will have to pay a million dollars, which far outweighs any collection of dollars I have won previously. Similarly, most times I drank/used, I had a good time, which was good. But then sometimes I drank/used, and then really, really bad stuff happened as a result. The bad far outweighed the good in terms of risk, and so that made it a terrible idea for me to ever drink or use, even just once.

Remembering that helped me a lot in staying away from drugs and alcohol. Maybe it will help you too. Then again, maybe not. But there it is, all the same. : )
Old 03-15-2012, 02:30 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Keep trucking along Heidi.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:46 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations Heidi

D
Old 03-16-2012, 06:29 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Day 7!!

Thanks for all your support folks, the last few days have been really positive, all my friends now know that I have given up drinking, which was quite difficult to say as within that statement is an admission of a problem...a problem that I have been denying for a long time.
Everyone in my immediate social group have been fantastic in that they have not over analysed my decision because I think they know that would make me uncomfortable, instead they have been quietly supportive, which for my personality type is the best lol.
Last night I met my friend in a pub and quite happily sat with soft drinks, in saying that I did not stay out as long as I normally would, not becuase I was craving alcohol but simply because I was bored because I was sober, which I believe is a slightly different thing.
Feeling very positive and as if I have achieved something, have already noticed a difference in how I am managing day to day, the bonus is I am on annual leave from my work right now so it was a good time from that perspective to quit.

First week down, only the rest of my life to go lol, love to you all,spk soon xx
Old 03-16-2012, 06:48 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Heidi76 View Post
First week down, only the rest of my life to go
That's a great way to look at it...Congrats on one week...
Old 03-29-2012, 02:58 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Update

Hi folks, sorry I have not been in touch but family problems overtook for a while there. I am still not drinking and I am so pleased as I have had quite a few problems in the family front to contend with but have maintained my resolve.

I have found I feel a lot happier, healthier and more focused without drink in my life and can't believe I didn't make this decision sooner.

Thank you all so much for your continued support and fingers crossed.

xxxx