Notices

Guidence please

Old 03-07-2012, 02:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Guidence please

Hello to all,

I am so new to this so please be patient. I have come to terms with the fact that I am one messed up dude. I've been wanting to have a normal mind set for a very long time. However this life I've had for the past twenty years keeps getting in the way. I have a great family, good job, no criminal problems, live in a good neighborhood with good schools, have great credit and three of the best children you could ever ask for, but when the day ends and the night begins, it's there, it's always there, calling to me to drink. It has gotten so bad that I can't even go into my basement without wanting to open a beer. I feel like a vampire hiding in my cave, alone with my diease, drinking or craving it when the sun goes down. I don't even remember what normal is like anymore, since about age 20 it's been like this. I self medicate, and have always put bandaids on my problems. I work in the field of law enforcement, which you don't go to rehab (however i believe would really help me) you don't talk about it with coworkers, or supervisors. You just pretend all is well and continue the cycle. Not to sure what to do at this point....
Old 03-07-2012, 03:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Hope!

Welcome to the Boards, I think you posting here is a great start....and I can totally relate on all aspects of your drinking patterns, sounds like me to a T.

If you are interested in rehab could you check into out-patient? I go myself, it's three nights per week for three hours and Phase I goes for two months. I did this on my own using my insurance, the folks at work don't have any idea what I'm up to nor is it their business.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi brother

Congrads on doing so well at so much, and thanks for being a good person. It is good that you recognize this important flaw that threatens all you have worked so hard for and much, it seems, of what you believe in. You would be surprised at the rates of alcohol abuse to be found in law enforcement (i.e., Alcohol abuse in policing: prevention strategies | FBI Law Enforcement Bulletin,The | Find Articles).

The above artical has some suggestions and background info that you can expand on. In meantime, this thought experiement might be of use:

1. Imagine that due to the laws of probabilty, you found yourself with alcohol still in your system in the early morning hours. Imagine an event occurs that brings you to the attention of your formal system (even though you do not feel intoxicated and you have attempted to do all the right things). This would put you in a pickle.....

2. Imagine that due to inforeseen circumstances, an evening event occurs where, again, alcohol is identified in your system.

In both of these cases, you might find yourself forced into being more open about your alcohol use concerns. In both of these cases, your professional position would be much weaker then if you were more open without such events forcing you to be so.

I know things vary from department to department, just wanted you to consider that.

Beyond this, I hope you stick around and read up on the site; there is a lot of good info here. You have taken the critical first step of seeing an issue and wanting a change, the challange now is to turn it into something more.

Best Regards~~~
Old 03-07-2012, 03:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Hopeless
Welcome

I'm not one, but we have a few police or ex police here so I hope you'll hear from them.

If rehabs not an option how do you feel about something like AA or another recovery meeting based group like SMART? There are non meeting based options too like Rational Recovery.

You'll definitely find support here anyway - sometimes a little support can really make all the difference to that commitment to change

D
Old 03-07-2012, 04:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Hopeless,
Welcome to SR!
Lots of good support here. You may want to check out the class of March 2012, for those working on sobriety this month.

I also work in a field that has rampant substance abuse problems/potential, but everyone pretends they are fine and have everything under control. Having a place to not pretend is really helpful.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hopeless- I have sponsored a few, and know a few police officers in recovery. Feel free to PM me if you wanna chat
Old 03-07-2012, 05:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

just gonna echo the above advice - have seen lots of professions represented at meetings- including high ranking judiciary. If you are in a large town, you might still think about a meeting. Frankly, if I know a co worker is getting help , my reaction is: support and respect.

You, maybe even more than most, know the inevitable consequences [in NA we say: "jails, institutions and death"] in AA we call it the YET: You Eventually Too

But it DOES NOT HAVE TO BE THIS WAY- many of us here are living proof. Good luck.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wow,

This is wonderful information from you all! Thank you all so much it really is comforting to know you all are going through it, and have so much to offer me. Thank you all!
Old 03-07-2012, 07:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

i dont know how to use this sight and i really want some help
Old 03-07-2012, 07:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi upward

to start your own thread - to tell your story. ask a question, or start a new topic - use the big blue New Thread button

at the top left hand side of the main page of every forum - in this case
Alcoholism - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Otherwise, if you have something to add to existing threads, keep posting like you are
Old 03-15-2012, 07:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Just checking in.....

Well I've been reading a lot, I understand it, but I don't like it! 5 days sober now, really want to drink though...

I just cannot wrap my brain around NEVER AGAIN. Everything in my life has been tied to drinking in some form or fashion, I'm afraid to fail at this...I'm afraid to keep it up...

Guess I'm hitting the rack soon and will wake up to face day 6. I should be happy about that, but I'm not... Hope I will be one day soon though.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Hopeless, if you can't do "never again" yet, then just do "today." I'm in early sobriety too, and while I know I can never drink again FOREVER, I'm not yet at a place where I can wrap my brain around that either because drinking was part of my life for so long. That doesn't mean I think or want to drink at some point down the road, it just means that for right now, the best I can think about is today. And if I do this EVERY day, then it will eventually add up to "never again."

Five days is awesome and Day 6 will be even better. You can do this - hang tough, my friend. We're here for ya!
Old 03-15-2012, 07:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hang in there....you are going to wake up tomorrow on day 6 and feel totaly different about it. If you cant do it for you today or tomorrow on day 6, then do it for your 3 kids. You really want this. You said you are sick of putting a bandaid over your problems, drinking is putting that bandaid back on. You don't want to do that. I know you don't. Stay strong. WOO HOO on day 5!!!
Old 03-15-2012, 07:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Hopeless71 View Post
... I work in the field of law enforcement, which you don't go to rehab (however i believe would really help me) you don't talk about it with coworkers, or supervisors. You just pretend all is well and continue the cycle. Not to sure what to do at this point....
I have heard that in some cities, there are special AA meetings for Law Enforcement, Lawyers and Judges. They are never listed in any directories so as not to attract the same people their members put behind bars. You have to find out via word-of-mouth.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Random Guy

Hopeless,

Trust me I know a thing or two about working in a proffesion where alcohol use and abuse is almost encouraged and revealing yourself to have a problem just dosen't happen. Not the police but one could certainly assume that there are some definet similarities. In fact unless you get in trouble because of alcohol you are free to drink with impunity. Most of my coworkers knew (to some extent) how much and often I drank but as long as I showed up and did my job "no problem". I am tackeling this on my own now to and have 5 days behind me. This is after 4 months of trying. Thought I would just say that and tell you you aren't alone brother, though it sounds like you know that already.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Forever was too much for me too - I settled for today - with the understanding I needed to renew that vow daily...that seemed more realistic and less daunting to me

It worked for me

D
Old 03-15-2012, 07:48 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome!!

Alcoholism has no boundaries, it doesn't discriminate, and you aren't the only one in your field to have this problem. Try a program, any program, and work it to save your life!
You aren't alone anymore!
Glad you are here!
Old 03-15-2012, 08:03 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
SHARING THE LOAD

Thanks for droping by the old recovery locker room.

You will get many varied suggestions here and I would suggest some good old spring

cleaning in your basement. Dump all that beer out and take a break from the man cave

for a while.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:24 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
instant

The forever thing is one of the addictions key tricks to undermine resolve. There is a way to peace, through getting past the early tough times. Tomorrow never comes, it,s always now. I found reading the big book free online very helpful early on.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:07 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Heathen

Glad you're here. Take it a moment at a time if need be.. there will come a time when "forever" gives you a feeling of freedom and not fear.