Notices

Bad Habit or Disease?

Old 03-05-2012, 05:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bad Habit or Disease?

I have to be honest right up front. I've not lost anything from drinking. I haven't had any horrific blackouts, job losses, car crashes, relationship enders... I feelk almost like I'm not screwed up badly enuf to be in here! But I do drink everyday. I think sometimes it is just a bad habit. Like clockwork. I own my own businesses, I work reallllly long days, and then I come home and have 3-6 light beers. I don't get drunk. I don't get out of control. I just don't like feeling dependent, if that makes any sense. I don't like the fact that it makes my stomach hurt too. I've always had problems with my stomach, from when I was a kid, and any kind of alcohol churns my gut up. But I don't stop! Why? I feel like everything in me sez quit. I didn't drink for 4 months last year because of my stomach and I felt great. I lost 20 pounds, had more energy... I had no detox, no scary story there... I just stopped and felt great. But every evening when I start to make dinner, I have one, two, three... So weird. My friends that are in recovery have these crazy stories.... Off the wall, out of control. I just don't like the way it makes me feel, but I feel like it is a bad habit...
Old 03-05-2012, 05:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Magpie...I'm not sure if it's a disease or a terrible habit...But I do know that I've had it most of my life...If not all of it...And that it is progressive..

PS...Go Red Sox...
Old 03-05-2012, 06:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Chutzpah

To me:

A Bad Habit- Something you can quit if you so desire

Disease- Something that will eventually kill you
Old 03-05-2012, 06:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by vichloe View Post
To me:

A Bad Habit- Something you can quit if you so desire

Disease- Something that will eventually kill you
They are both things that can kill you...Look at smoking...Or drinking..But they are both things you can get treatment for and recover from.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Chutzpah

I don't really feel alcoholism is a diease. What don't they say smoking is a diease too? Or overeating? These are all choices that lead to developing a disease.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't know...It seems to run in families a lot...Sometimes even skipping a generation....Not really sure...Whatever it is...It almost killed me.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by magpie13 View Post
I have to be honest right up front. I've not lost anything from drinking. I haven't had any horrific blackouts, job losses, car crashes, relationship enders... I feelk almost like I'm not screwed up badly enuf to be in here! But I do drink everyday. I think sometimes it is just a bad habit. Like clockwork. I own my own businesses, I work reallllly long days, and then I come home and have 3-6 light beers. I don't get drunk. I don't get out of control. I just don't like feeling dependent, if that makes any sense. I don't like the fact that it makes my stomach hurt too. I've always had problems with my stomach, from when I was a kid, and any kind of alcohol churns my gut up. But I don't stop! Why? I feel like everything in me sez quit. I didn't drink for 4 months last year because of my stomach and I felt great. I lost 20 pounds, had more energy... I had no detox, no scary story there... I just stopped and felt great. But every evening when I start to make dinner, I have one, two, three... So weird. My friends that are in recovery have these crazy stories.... Off the wall, out of control. I just don't like the way it makes me feel, but I feel like it is a bad habit...
All the things that haven't happened to you, just put the word "YET" after if you are alcoholic.

Wishing you the best in your recovery.

Bob R
Old 03-05-2012, 11:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

When you can quit drinking you don't want to & when you want to quit/need to quit you can't. No one can convince me that alcoholism is not a disease.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

I believe in nictotinism. I just think it's too lucrative in sales & marketing to label it as such.

If things aren't bad for ya, stop drinking. Bad habits can be changed. I can't have one, two or three and stop, but that's me. I drank a 6 pack every night. I needed something more than just stopping and the steps saved my life.

I wish you well!
Old 03-05-2012, 02:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Magpie,
If drinking is causing you problems, then it is a problem. I don't think it matters what you call it. My question to you is: How bad do things need to be before you quit drinking? If I had a skin cancer lesion, I wouldn't say, "It isn't serious enough to do anything about it. I'm going to wait until the cancer has spread and then I'll do something about it." That would be insane thinking. By the way, normal social drinking is considered 7 drinks per week for a woman and 14 drinks per week for a man.
Susan
Old 03-05-2012, 03:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Here's a quote I remember from TU on this topic... It's just about the best thing ever said regarding the debate of disease vs choice, at least when such a debate is ongoing between a bunch of drinkers....

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique View Post
If drinking screws you up and alcoholism is a disease, you had better quit drinking. If drinking screws you up and alcoholism isn't a disease, you still had better quit drinking.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Although I'll say 3 light beers a day is not that bad at all, the everyday part is what worries me. If you can stop on your own then try it. Start skipping days or only drink on the weekends, if you cant do that then IMO you have a problem. Albeit not that bad, you don't want to wait for it to get worse. I'm sure all of us started off slowly, my routine was a 6 pack a night and that progressed to nearly 20 beers a day. Everyday.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The Big Book answers that question directly. In a nutshell, if you cannot ALWAYS stop you may be an alcoholic. If you can always ( every single time) stop drinking you may just have a problem with booze that can be handled by exercising more control. I am a drunk, lack of power is my problem
Old 03-05-2012, 05:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by susanlauren
By the way, normal social drinking is considered 7 drinks per week for a woman and 14 drinks per week for a man.
Yes, and additionally it means 1 per day for a woman, 2 per day for a man. Per day is important. It does not mean not drinking all week and then drinking 14 beers in one sitting....saving them up so to speak. That is considered binge drinking and not moderate drinking.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Welcome to SR!

Picking your nose is a bad habit. Drinking out of dependence is an addiction.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Listen to your body....it's telling you to quit adding alcohol to your system.

The fact your gut aches and stil you drink....what is that about?
Hmmm....I think it matters not what you call it...please do quit
and enjoy a sober healthier future.

Have you asked your doctor for testing concerning your physical problem? Please do and be honest about your drinking.

Welcome...
Old 03-06-2012, 04:28 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

have a look at avrt in the secular recovery section it will help separate yourself from the other part of you that wants to drink, good luck
Old 03-06-2012, 08:31 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I think it is more like a bad habit in the early stages and into the middle stages.

And by the late middle states and late stages it is more like a disease.

I do believe, whether one calls it a "disease" or not, that certain people such as myself have bodies that are wired such that we have intense cravings for alcohol, especially when actually drinking.

When I was drinking, I began seriously considering leaving my family because they were starting to get in the way.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:02 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I would say it is a bit more than a "bad habit". It led me to be homeless drinking out of a paper bag in an alley and begging for change all day. I don't believe bad habits can destroy a persons life the same way.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I've been thinking about this too Magpie (but more 'bad habit or addiction' rather than the disease bit) because of having difficulties breaking 'bad habits' that can't possibly be addictions. Is biting your nails a bad habit or an addiction? I'm not sure it matters what you call it though. Maybe people only question it because the words 'addict' and 'alcoholic' have so much stigma attached to them.

No matter what you will always be better AND worse than someone else so comparing stories probably isn't useful. I've never had any blackouts or any other public traumas either, but I did have stomach problems (which seem to be fine now after 7 days sober) and developed peripheral neuropathy because of drinking. It has taken me a long time to stop and I'm kicking myself now because I talked about stopping years ago when I probably could have got away with calling it 'problem drinking', no health problems, no social problems... Drinking only causes more problems with time, even if you can't see them on the surface.