View Single Post
Old 03-06-2012, 02:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
hypochondriac

I've been thinking about this too Magpie (but more 'bad habit or addiction' rather than the disease bit) because of having difficulties breaking 'bad habits' that can't possibly be addictions. Is biting your nails a bad habit or an addiction? I'm not sure it matters what you call it though. Maybe people only question it because the words 'addict' and 'alcoholic' have so much stigma attached to them.

No matter what you will always be better AND worse than someone else so comparing stories probably isn't useful. I've never had any blackouts or any other public traumas either, but I did have stomach problems (which seem to be fine now after 7 days sober) and developed peripheral neuropathy because of drinking. It has taken me a long time to stop and I'm kicking myself now because I talked about stopping years ago when I probably could have got away with calling it 'problem drinking', no health problems, no social problems... Drinking only causes more problems with time, even if you can't see them on the surface.