Notices

I finally got a sponsor!!!

Old 02-17-2012, 06:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

I finally got a sponsor!!!

I am so excited right now! I am 50 days sober today and tonight I got my first sponsor. She agreed to be a temp sponsor for me until I can find a full time one. She is much older than me so she suggested I find a person slightly closer to me in age so that they might better relate to my problems.

Anyway another woman also told me she would help me find a sponsor as well so hopefully I will have a full time one soon but for now I am just happy having one in general. This means I can finally start working the steps and being a happier person.

(forgive me I had 3 cups of coffee at my meeting tonight and I am WIRED!)
Old 02-17-2012, 06:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations FF!

D
Old 02-17-2012, 06:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Congrats on reaching out! I know how hard it can be. I even had a hard time when I injured my knee and asked my friend to stay with me--it was very difficult asking for help every 20 minutes!!

Do yourself a favor and follow the suggestions to call people daily. It's a great habit!! Other suggestions, if related to the steps, do follow them, too! Hopefully you both set up ground rules--how many meetings to commit to, what each other's rolls are in the relationship....etc.

I wish you well on your sober journey!
Old 02-17-2012, 07:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Way to go FlyerFan...You're on your way!
Old 02-17-2012, 07:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Good news FlyerFan! It's great to see you so enthusiastic. You're doing great.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

FF You make us proud !!

All the best.

Bob R
Old 02-17-2012, 07:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Congrats on reaching out! I know how hard it can be. I even had a hard time when I injured my knee and asked my friend to stay with me--it was very difficult asking for help every 20 minutes!!

Do yourself a favor and follow the suggestions to call people daily. It's a great habit!! Other suggestions, if related to the steps, do follow them, too! Hopefully you both set up ground rules--how many meetings to commit to, what each other's rolls are in the relationship....etc.

I wish you well on your sober journey!
Haven't set up any rules yet because she seems a little overwhelmed but I am already going to 5 nights a week so I think that's good. I hope to find a permanent sponsor very soon so I can establish some real structure. .
Old 02-18-2012, 04:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great news! You just upped your chances a bit. If you talk with her regularly they go up a bit more.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Well really I just need her to work the steps with me, because I know I cannot do that on my own (at least not step 5 anyway) but other than that I have been keeping myself pretty well kept. I read my big book everyday, i go to a meeting everyday, I've ordered myself some new books to keep me busy, etc. I'm feeling pretty great overall
Old 02-20-2012, 05:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yay for you! Congratulations on your sponsor and your 50 days! So inspiring to me!!! xo
Old 02-20-2012, 05:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats. Hope he/she is better than mine was.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Well I will find out, lol. I mean I'm pretty much doing everything else on my own, I just know I need her to help me with the steps at least one time around. (I'm sure I'll need to do them over and over for the rest of my life, lol) I know people will come and go as sponsors but I suppose we need to give them a test run? lol
Old 02-20-2012, 03:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My guy made the difference for me.

If you can decide to get your information about what you'll need to do to stay comfortably sober from one source and one voice you can eliminate a lot of confusion. If she's willing to be straight with you and you with her the relationship can be one of the most important in your lifetime.

She's not your friend at this point and is simply a very useful tool to get where you want to go. Hopefully she won't hedge what she needs to say in order to shield your feelings and needlessly obscure what you need to know. Make a decision you will allow her to tell you anything without reacting, give her a blank emotional check.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
~sb

The steps, as written, are what we've done as a result of working the 12 steps.

On page 20 of the big book, Bill W. writes, "It is the purpose of this bookto answer such questions specifically. We shall tell you what we have done." Bill W. also had a much larger first draft, which was discussed. A lot of information had been taken out. My sponsor suggested that this is why we require a sponsor. Some information requires word of mouth directions. Others may disagree with these statements, but I'll stick with my brainiac sponsor!

In working with my sponsor, it has been suggested I cross out words and/or add "the non-alcoholic drinker" in certain places within the big book. Again, others may not agree.

Even the first 3 steps require a sponsor's guidance. The first step is within the first 43 pages. I have yet to find where it states this precisely in the big book!

Of course, Bill W. was a salesman, maybe that's why he spent 43 pages "selling" the idea of hopelessness in those first 43 pages! The solution is in the first 164 pages, specifically the first 103, but not disregarding pages 104-164.

The stories are for those people who weren't able to attend meetings, in early AA, when meetings were located in only a few cities. There's a lot of experience, strength, and hope in those stories. Also a lot of things we quote, even today. The U.S. Mail played an important role, too.

Try to work with your sponsor! Sounds like you are doing a bit of self-sponsoring, which is what we do!!

I wish you well on your sober journey, FF!
Old 02-20-2012, 03:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Oh I definitely want to work with her, I just know that 4 and 5 are the most important ones to my recovering, being able to let my past go. I also ordered a recovery workbook that I am waiting to come in the mail. That way I can work through all the steps literally on paper, I am a visual learner so getting everything down this way will definitely help me!

I haven't talked to her much yet because she is a very busy person but I see her twice a week at the womens meetings and thats when we do most of our talking. I know I can call her any time I feel that I need to.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You are taking a lot of actions to get and stay sober, great job!
Old 02-23-2012, 05:49 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Well I have not heard from her for a week now and the number she gave me isnt working, so I can't help but feeling a little annoyed at this. I really want to get started on these steps but I can't do that alone. I think I may have to find someone else who has more time available to help me.....
Old 02-23-2012, 07:41 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Yep, find someone else. You're doing great!!

Any women's groups in your area? Could be a great place to find the right sponsor for you.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Went to a womens group tonight actually, I joined it as my home group and I picked up a new sponsor. This one is a person I have admired since I met her 3 weeks ago, she has a great personality and she lives by the book. She was so thrilled when I asked her. I am so excited to get started working with her.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:03 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
once in a . . .

WAY TO GO FF!
it is SO awesome to hear you happy + excited! congratulations! your hard work is shining thru!

{hugs}
Blue