in any meeting. Knowing one is in AA and
the other is being supportive.

The family that recovers together has a better
chance of staying together and living a healthy
happy life together. IMO as always.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:06 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MJDustin View Post
thanks for the feedback... so you think it might be more of her issue than a general feeling of those in AA?
Definitely her issue!!! Open meetings are open. I've never been to one where non-alcoholics were not welcomed and I've been to a boatload of meetings. So many that when I introduce myself in the outside world I have to be careful not to add "and I'm an alcoholic" LOL. People often bring their non-alcoholic spouses/partners/sons/daughters/etc. when they celebrate aniversaries.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:49 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

thanks for your feedback. I am in school for counseling and am eager to learn more about helping people with addictions. I also have a interest in my sister in law's recovery and supporting her. My brother is in AA and said he'd love if I came with him. I guess it's just a personal thing for my sister in law. Thanks for the reply!
Old 02-18-2012, 12:51 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

thanks for your feedback. I am in school for counseling and am eager to learn more about helping people with addictions. I also have an interest in my sister in law's recovery and supporting her. My brother is in AA and said he'd love if I came with him. I guess it's just a personal thing for my sister in law. Thanks for the reply!
Old 02-18-2012, 04:03 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

thanks for your feedback. I am in school for counseling and am eager to learn more about helping people with addictions. I also have a interest in my sister in law's recovery and supporting her. My brother is in AA and said he'd love if I came with him. I guess it's just a personal thing for my sister in law. Thanks for the reply!
My daughter is studying to be an addiction counselor. After enduring my drinking and then my sobering up to become the mom she used to have she has seen the good, the bad and the ugly. Somewhere along the way she developed a passion for wanting to help others. She was 13 when I got sober and has attended many, MANY meetings with me and was always received with welcome arms at our group.

I suggest that since your brother is open to you attending with him that you take him up on it. I know at least for my daughter, attending meetings along with what she is learning in class is very useful for her. Things she has heard over and over again now take on new meaning. I can see it in her eyes when she finally "gets it." As long as it is an open meeting and there is no objection to your being there then take advantage of it. Personally, I would refrain from sharing in such a meeting but definitely listen in and look for the similarities in what you are hearing versus what you are being taught.

As for your sister-in-law, for whatever reason she does not seem keen on your "supporting" her in sobriety so I would just let that go. Maybe just let her know ONE TIME ONLY that if she ever needs an ear and a closed mouth friend you would be happy to help but then after that I wouldn't push it any further. You certainly don't want to alienate her.

Good luck with your studies!
Kellye
Old 02-18-2012, 04:55 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I just had a conversation with my sister in law about attending an AA meeting with her (she is in recovery - I have never drank) and her quick and harsh reply caught me off guard. She said that most people don't like non alcoholics EVER coming to meetings - even the open ones. I was a little surprised by this and wanted to get some other opinions. Thanks for sharing your insight.
Open meetings....... ANYone can go - period - end of story. They're OPEN to anyone for a reason. Now, SHE may not want you attending an open meeting where she's the speaker........or maybe she just doesn't want you at a meeting with her. It's definitely her deal and not something more than a percent or two of "AA people" would agree with. (and I'd bet you'd have a hard time finding anyone in AA who'd say you're not welcome at an open meeting).

Ask Keith said, "closed meetings" are a different story. *

*....that said, I've been at more than one table where someone new was there and their mom came along in support. Nobody at the table had a problem with the "outsider" being there and we went on with the meeting. --after things were done though, I did tell the new person and her mom that closed meetings are for ppl with a drinking problem and a desire to get/stay sober and now that their daughter sees that meetings are ok...and that we're safe...we'd like the opportunity to have a "regular" closed table with them alone if they'd like to come back.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:25 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Anyone is welcome at an open AA meeting, period.