Notices

Antabuse and alcohol - mixed messages

Old 02-16-2012, 09:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Antabuse and alcohol - mixed messages

My partner has just finished a stint in rehab for alcohol dependancy and is determined to make it work. He has asked for Antabuse and been told not to go near alcohol - not just drinking but things like aftershave, cooking wine, vinegar etc. He was told to check the ingredients on everything he buys to make sure there is no alcohol present (which means I have to check everything as well).

Thing is, I'm confused. I bought non-alcoholic wine (which said the amount of alcohol present is 0.05%) so he can't have that.

But then I read about another non-alcoholic wine (0.5%) which said that there is more alcohol in orange juice - something he has not been told to avoid.

Then he was given by the clinic some cream for a skin rash. I checked this and it has alcohol in it.

Is there anywhere a straight answer as to alcohol and Antabuse? Is it safe for small quantities of alcohol - such as a glass of 0.05%? or even putting aftershave on your face?
Old 02-16-2012, 09:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I don't have any experience with antabuse. Your best bet would be to consult a doctor who specializes in alcohol and drug issues. Antabuse is only one way to help someone in recovery. Maybe he can investigate other ways to he can just eliminate the antabuse and not have to worry about using normal everyday items.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Some people are more sensitive to antabuse than others. I have taken it on and off for years and have never had a problem with foods or cosmetics etc that contain alcohol. I know people who have reacted to those items. It depends how sensitive your body becomes while on it.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

answer to Antabuse and alcohol - mixed messages

dear yllek re. Antabuse and alcohol - mixed messages
someone already suggested that you consult an MD about the antabuse and i agree. there is another issue though. you might think twice about the .05 wine (or any other thing like non-alcoholic beer for instance) because the brain has created a strong connection to the experience of drinking and getting the "buzz" or sense of relief, etc. which includes the taste, smell, color, the bottle, the glass, etc. each and every one of those things is stored in a memory that also includes the effect of the alcohol on the receptor sites in the brain. what this means is that those memories will became triggered when he drinks the .05 wine except that there will not be that "buzz". this could easily become a trigger for the brain to send the message that it would like something done to correct the missing element in this "new" experience...the "buzz". this all takes place in the out-of-consciousness part of the brain. (its called the sub-cortical or implicit memory system) therefore we don't know whats going on until we begin to have the idea or the feeling that it would be "nice" to get that old sense of relief in addition to enjoying the taste, etc. that could prove very likely to sooner or later cause relapse. finally, i hope your partner hooks up with some AA meetings to get the support that is soooo vital. remind him he can believe in any power greater than himself that he so chooses. i say this in case he has a problem with believing in a traditional concept of God. good luck to you both. yrag (gary)

Last edited by yrag; 02-16-2012 at 10:59 AM. Reason: forgot name
Old 02-16-2012, 03:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Yllek

But then I read about another non-alcoholic wine (0.5%) which said that there is more alcohol in orange juice - something he has not been told to avoid.
I'm sorry if the various things people say have confused you, especially if you've read it here. This is a big site and there's a lot of opinions....

I have no experience with antabuse but knowing how sick it makes people, I'd be very very careful about what I ingested or used.

Fruit juice can ferment, especially if you leave it out, or your fridge is not great, or its home made without preservatives, but I've drunk a lot of juice and never had it ferment on me yet

I'm not a believer in NA wine or beer etc but I'm not sure why you'd want to drink things like that in early recovery anyway?

The best thing to do is for your bf to ask these questions of his Dr

D
Old 02-16-2012, 03:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

It can also depend on your dosage. I told a good psych doctor that I had tried Antabuse in the past but I drank through the unpleasant side effects. He asked me the dose and it was only 250mg. Some people need 500 mg and when I did eventually drink on it I ended up in the ER with a super fast heart rate.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I use antabuse and those kinds of things don't bother me. I actually took a swig of my bf's rum and coke, thinking it was my pepsi, and had no reaction. But that is just ME.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Antabuse is not an answer for the alcoholic.He will stop taking it when he wants to drink again.You can get pretty sick 2 or 3 days after you stop taking it if you return to drinking.You can die from the side effects.I know this from my personal experience with it 24 years ago.
Sooner or later you will find sobriety in AA or die an alcoholic death if you are a real alcoholic of my type.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was told to test your sensitivity by applying rubbing alcohol to the skin. If there is a reaction then there is a large sensitivity. I was also told that basically anything on the outside of the body is OK along with foods cooked in alcohol as long as the alcohol has been allowed to cook off. I am not a doctor and am just sharing my experience.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

Talk to the prescribing doctor about your medical questions.

I ate one small bite of wine cheese on a cracker and had a bad reaction once.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

as long as the alcohol has been allowed to cook off.

the alcohol does not completely 'cook off'. i'd be wary of eating food cooked with alcohol if i were taking antabuse.