Notices

Day 3 - Very Nervous

Old 02-10-2012, 09:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Day 3 - Very Nervous

Hello, All.

I'm new to these forums, and to alcoholism, so please excuse any ignorance.

Like an idiot, and for whatever reason (God only knows), I decided to start drinking about a month 1/2 to 2 months ago. Until that point, I had only drank socially, here and there, and never to the point of slurring/stumbling.

I'm 35 years old, about 190 - 195lbs. Again, for the past month 1/2 to two months, I've been drinking every day (only at night between 6 - 10PM - never during the day). When I started, it was 2-3 beers a night, which progressed to 4 - 5 beers a night, then to 6 beers a night. At the end of my 2 months of drinking, I was drinking about 3 - 4 24oz cans of Ice beer (5.6% abv) a night.

I immediately saw a terrible problem developing, and fast, so I decided to stop cold trukey. Today is day three of having nothing. I've been relatively OK during the day, but have been having episodes that last a few hours, of anxiousness/slight panicy feeling, tightness of the abdominal muscles, and a tightness in my chest - it doesn't feel like I can't breathe, but that each breath takes more conscious effort to take. Oddly, my heart hasn't raced. Sometimes it actually feels like it's beating slowly.

Last night, I awoke to a slight panic attack, and when I closed my eyes, I could see geometric patterns swirling around. That only lasted like 20 minutes, and then I fell back asleep, and woke-up in the morning.

I decided to research alcohol withdrawal on the net, and even watched a couple videos on YouTube. Honestly, reading what I did has put me into a state of panic. I've convinced myself that any second, I'm going to die. My hands are cold, and my feet are cold. I think I'm having a little panic attack.

So, instead of letting my thoughts swirl, I decided to join these forums so I could get some feedback from people with experience, instead of relying on my own imagination and ignornance.

Is what I'm feeling normal? Do I need to go to a hospital? Because I've only been drinking for 1 1/2 to 2 months, is the withdrawal I'm feeling life threatening? Any direction here will be GREATLY appreciated!

Thank you all so much in advance.

E
Old 02-10-2012, 09:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm new here on SR as well but not new to alcoholism, i understand what you are going through. Can't give you any medical advice, but if you feel like you need to go to the doctor what can that hurt? I would check out this thread it helped me a lot many personal experiences on there

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

I hope that helps and keep up the hard work E it will get better im on day 4 myself... best of luck
Old 02-10-2012, 05:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Your doc could give you something to help you through the first few days...Go see him/her.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This is a totally normal Withdrawl symptom, but yes, a doctor will help. Putting heavy doses of poison into your body every day for several weeks will take a little time to recover from, and would benefit from medical advice, but again, it's all very normal, and you WILL feel better soon.

GG
Old 02-10-2012, 09:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the replies! I really appreciate it!

When I wrote my post, this morning, I was feeling very anxious (as you could probably tell). I was fine during the day, today, and it was only until about an hour ago (10PM), that I started to feel "off"... Heart started pounding, my stomach muscles started to twitch, and I felt a tightness in my legs. The feeling has subsided a little bit, since it started. Tomorrow will be day 4. If I gone this far, do you think it's safe to say that I won't experience any life-threatening withdrawal? In my case, is the worse yet to come, or am I over the hump?

Thanks, all!
Old 02-10-2012, 10:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Eman
welcome

It's simply beyond our power to know whether you'll be ok - none of us are Drs.
That's why we ask people not to ask for, or give, medical advice here.

Most of us do turn out fine though - but there are other things to think about besides withdrawal - I've had some pretty debilitating post detox anxiety episodes and panic attacks too...

Why not see a Dr and set your mind at rest?

D
Old 02-11-2012, 10:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Generally the most dangerous aspects of alcohol withdrawal are hypertension and the risk for seizures. If you are going cold turkey, the best thing to do is to just rest, take it easy.Try not to do anything that is going to raise your heart rate. Sounds like the acute symptoms are starting to wear off. One thing that always helped me through my at home detox's was Gatorade, really did help make me feel a bit better. Very important to stay hydrated. I would recommend staying away from caffeine for the next few days.

In my experience, after 4-5 days I would enter another phase. Usually struggling with my bowels and sleep for another week or so. After about 10 days, I would feel like a new man, and as if I had never taken a drink in my life.

Your almost there! And congrats on your great decision to stop drinking!

-Save
Old 02-11-2012, 10:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

To echo others: see a doctor if you're really feeling destitute.

Personal experience: Day 3-5 were the worst. Sweat, insomnia, irregular respiratory and heart function, etc...

My advice is to see a doctor if it feels like too much, otherwise bolster your will and endure the week. And be sure to lie down and truly focus on remembering what "now" feels like -- it will be an ally down the road if you ever get an urge to drink.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for your feedback, help, and support. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it!

Today is day 4... It's 4PM, and so far, I've had no withdrawal symptoms. Sleeping last night was a bit difficult, though. I did sleep throughout the night (somewhat), but it felt like I never fell into a deep sleep; when this morning came, I didn't feel rested at all. I know that's normal, though. And I'm sure being constipated for the past two days is also normal - I hate that. When I was drinking, it was like clockwork; every morning, same time, same place, lol.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Actually I'd count anxiety insomnia and constipation as withdrawal symptoms - but I hope you'll be feeling more like yourself again soon Eman.

Welcome to SR Alamine

D
Old 02-13-2012, 06:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

If you have a doctor, let them check you out. If not, I would get to an AA meeting ASAP and talk to someone in person. AA is saving my life. I was a daily drinker for 30+ years. Next month I"ll celebrate 2 years, if I don't drink and keep going to meetings. The cravings and obsession are gone!
Old 02-13-2012, 07:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have been a heavy drinker most my life but recently started to drinking every day (the last 8 months) with very strong beer and also Brandy.
Haven’t had a drink for the last 14 hours and get all your symptoms, dead arms, anxiety, abdominal pain, even finding it difficult to type this blog.
Been offered by my doctor to go in to hospital for 12 days and do a total detox but thought I would try and fight this in my way, cold turkey.
My doctor told me not just to stop straight away and to gradually cut down, by half my normal intake and then keep reducing it (over a 2 week period) I have tried this method and the little demon in my head tells me after few beers “ go on just go and buy some more”
Finding it difficult to reduce, so just going to bite the bullet and go cold turkey.
Hope you manage your battle my friend.
Dave uk