Notices

Sponsor

Old 02-12-2012, 07:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sponsor

Can anyone give me advice on what to look for in an AA sponsor?
Old 02-12-2012, 07:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
New User

Someone that has what you want (you will know by just watching her, that glow, full of life, etc) that has some sober time built up, that has worked the steps...
Old 02-12-2012, 07:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Someone who's got what you want. And a good sponsor will tell you what you NEED to hear, not what you WANT to hear necessarily.
Most importantly, make it a woman......

Best of luck

Bob R
Old 02-13-2012, 02:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

I suggest finding a sponsor who's had a spiritual awakening as the result of the steps. Go early, stay late, and listen. Most folks who've been around awhile can talk well in a meeting. I wanted a sponsor who'd taken the steps and applied them to life outside the rooms. That's real recovery, and that's what I wanted.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 02-13-2012, 04:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Awakening...

Go to some meetings, all of them are different so try some out for size. Ask people who would make a good sponsor. We often don't know how to choose a sponsor who would be good for us. So ask for a 'referral' if you will.

BTW, you will get better answers if you post in the alcoholism 12 Step section.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Check out this pamphlet:

http://www.aa.org/pdf/products/p-15_Q&AonSpon.pdf
Old 02-13-2012, 06:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

I've always been told to pick a person who you don't necessarily like all that much, because they will push you to succeed, but I haven't chosen a sponsor myself yet. I'm still shopping around. lol
Old 02-13-2012, 07:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My sponsor wasn't a Big Book thumper
who memorized it all. She was a lady
who showed me recovery thru her actions.
The way she lived the steps in her everyday
life. Who generously gave of herself with
service work, baking awesome treats to
bring to her meetings and driving patiants
in rehab to outside meetings.

That was where i found my first and only
sponsor. 21 yrs ago while in rehab.

She never told me what to do, but rather
thu suggestions guided me lovingly thru
recovery incorperating the steps and principles
set down before us many yrs ago.

Her actions spoke volumns loudly to me which
was a huge impact on my own recovery.

Im forever grateful to those who paved the
way for me to remain sober today some many
one days at a time later.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

My friend had a sponsor who was never married and who had no children; it didn't work out. Sometimes we need someone who is in a similar situation as we are, sometimes it will work anyway.

Women stick with women, usually, as there can be intimacy problems. Sometimes it's a non-issue.

My sponsor, after 26 years still works with a sponsor who has a sponsor....something about someone working with another who can work with another....etc.

I have a sponsor who "walks the talk" which means they do what they say. they have a design for living. Their whole life is not AA. They volunteer their time and energy, help others outside of AA, sponsor more than one person, have hobbies, and have employment. A generally well-rounded life is led. I want that.

I heard a woman tell her story and I could relate to her pain and to her story. She helped guide me through the steps and is available when needed. In my observation, her actions outside of the rooms of AA are sober actions; she walks the talk. She isn't pretending when she speaks of her life today (nor of her past). She also knew that I had to be taken through the steps quickly, the first time, for relief. We had both been in and out of AA as alcohol was our solution. She showed me that the steps are a new solution. My life has changed because of the step work I do.

I meet at least once a week with my sponsor, as they know that if we don't stay ahead of our disease (or whatever you want to call it) our disease will take us back out. I get to meetings with my sponsor at least 2 times a week and often attend conventions together. I am not told to do things they won't do. We agreed on a commitment of the number of meetings to attend weekly, not daily, or I wouldn't have time to live life. The ground rules were set together. My sponsor is honest, gentle and forthright. I hear things I don't want to hear, but I need to hear.

My sponsor leads by example, always reaching out for the newcomer. I like all this sober stuff. It's refreshing.

Remember, we are working together. I wish you well in finding someone who can help guide you through the steps. Ask your Higher Power to put the "right" person in your life and they will appear. Stay stopped. It's a new life without alcohol!
Old 02-13-2012, 10:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

"Women stick with women, usually, as there can be intimacy problems. Sometimes it's a non-issue."

my sponsor suggests that cross sex sponsorship is really only applicable to first 3 steps. I have seen it work otherwise but only once- the rest were.not good results'

yep - what has been said: someone who made me WORK on my recovery. Someone who had what i wanted -in and out of the rooms. Someone who was available.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

My current sponsor is male. No problems at all. I am not the only woman with a male sponsor, all working quite well at this time. I also have a network of strong women. I'll let you know when or if a problem ensues.