Notices

hi...i'm an alcoholic

Old 02-02-2012, 09:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hi...i'm an alcoholic

and i'm on my own to get my sh*t together ~ and that makes me feel like why bother :/ (i start drinking mid afternoon & maintain a state of comfortably numb until bedtime) where do you find strength to do it on your own. i watch intervention & addicted, etc & think i'd love for someone to offer to send me for treatment & maybe i'd get my **** together. first i told a sister i'm an alcoholic & she says "i drink every day too" - i didn't tell her how much i drink every day, she didn't ask. i tell my husband (not a good relationship) i drink every day & i'd love rehab...maybe he's afraid i'd get my stuff together & get out. where do i find strength to do it on your own?? i'm an introvert, i have no friends (seriously, just my husband-no children-not close to my family even) it's me, myself & i

Old 02-02-2012, 09:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

I think it is really hard to do it on your own. I had the support of SR, other forums and the people from those forums. I think F2F support is also beneficial, though I didn't go that route.

I would recommend trying to find support. AA, counseling, something. Ultimately it will be up to you to decide you are ready to quit, and take the necessary steps.

Good luck.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i am tired. and it's bite'n me in the a**. i'm self employed & if i mess up i have too pay for it ~ 3 peoples property tax because i f*d up on ~ and lost that company i worked for i'm sure. and everyday now i fear when the phone rings...what else have i screwed up.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi and welcome LW

This is a great community - I came here 5 years ago pretty messed up and confused and beaten down by my drinking...the help and support I got here helped me turn my life around.

It's not a walk in the park - sometimes it can get pretty hard - but you're not alone here, and if I could do it I know you can do it too

Have you given any thought to what you're prepared to do?

D
Old 02-02-2012, 10:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

well, i HAVE to go to my dr. feb. 13 because i have asthma & out of my rx and i am on celexa & out of that (haven't taken it for awhile because from what i've read those drugs are hard on your liver...i do stress about what alcohol is do'n to me ~ every day) so do i come clean to him??? will he offer me help?? i've looked up AA meetings in my town but idk...is it based on god & stuff?? i was raised catholic & don't have good feelings about being born into a religion, i think it should be a choice (look at all the priests & sex abuse cases...makes me sick). so many issues....
Old 02-02-2012, 10:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

AA doesn't offer mental health do they? i think i need help with lots of stuff in my past...but am i blaming that on my drinking?? i like the feeling of comfortably numb drinking gives me. ha, when i started taking something for depression, my dr. asked if it made me feel like i don't give a sh*t...maybe i need better meds?? i'm tired & lost
Old 02-02-2012, 10:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

These are the links I give out to everyone

There's many different approaches and methods of recovery around:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

take the time to check out the links - you might find something that gels with you

There's also Dual Recovery which may interest you

Dual Recovery Anonymous - a 12 Step Fellowship

Dual Recovery Anonymous™ is a Fellowship of men & women who meet to support each other in our common recovery from two No-Fault illnesses: an emotional or psychiatric illness and chemical dependency.

I recommend you visit the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach, too

D
Old 02-02-2012, 10:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Please check out those links. There are frequently mental health issues related to drinking problems, so yes you could look into AA and seeing a mental health professional.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think your best bet is to:

First: see if you can get you dr. appointment sooner than the 13th

Second: Be honest with your dr. about everything....your feelings, how you feel alone, the lack of support, and most of all about the amount you are drinking.

Third: Let your dr. point you in the right direction to get you started. If you goin in with and excuse as to why you can't do this, or why you can't do that, it will just be a waste of your doctors time and yours. You have to be willing to try new things....no matter how uncomfortable they can feel

Fourth: You are never alone here on SR. There are many folks here with really good ideas and stories on thier own path to sobriety. You are never alone.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You're asking if you should tell your Doctor honestly how much you drink. I'll say yes, imo you should do that.

Good luck with the Doctor. He may suggest you do some things you don't think will help so be prepared to have a long discussion with him.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Your question #1 is “where do you find strength to do it on your own?” The answer is …. You don’t.

What most of us have found was that “only you can do it, but you can't do it alone”. You may need your Doc, perhaps a therapist and almost certainly some other alcoholics to lend a hand.

Your question #2 is “ i've looked up AA meetings in my town but idk...is it based on god & stuff?” The answer is ….sort of. The ONLY requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. You don’t need to believe in God at all. Some peoples God is a doorknob, the ocean or something as vague as a power greater than themselves. 99% of the people there don’t care what your God looks like or talks like or even if you have one at all when you walk in the door.

Question 3 “so do i come clean to him (the Doc)???” In a word, yes. He’s is bound by professional ethics to keep what you say confidential and if you do not level with him it could harm your treatment.

Question #4 “will he (the Doc) offer me help??” I dunno but my guess is that the people here at sober recovery will. The ones in the face to face AA meetings will as well.

BTW the people in the AA meeting you may eventually go to all went to a first meeting themselves. They will know how you are feeling if you say it is your first meeting. Most of them felt a lot like you do now….. before they first went.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

AA can be a Godsend - literally for some people, figuratively for others.

Don't hang back from it because of doubts about religion. I too was raised Catholic and have some scars from parochial school and the nuns, but AA helped me enormously and a big-time relapse (when I quit going to meetings) has sent me back for more help. I've also gotten help from AVRT, which I found out about on this board.

I also really benefited from an honest talk with an MD, and from out-patient rehab. I'd strongly suggest you see if you can get a referral to OP rehab in your area. Mine was worked around a full-time job, and included both group and individual meetings. It was extraordinarily helpful and educational. My groupies became my friends, and helped me through the death of a close family member from alcoholic cirrhosis.

Best wishes to you and keep posting!