Notices

20 Days Sober... Cravings!!!

Old 01-17-2012, 07:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

20 Days Sober... Cravings!!!

I've been doing so well, feeling strong and determined and stayed sober for 20 days. I had very few cravings for alcohol and was able to squash those thoughts easily. Then out of the blue last night it was all I could do to keep from going to the liquor store. I actually poured a glass of sherry that I had kept for cooking (which I thought was no temptation) and took a tiny sip. Thank God i had a moment of clarity and dumped the glass and the rest of the bottle and felt so much better.

Then tonight on the way home I was so incredibly tempted to stop and buy booze. Why such strong cravings now? I am also noticing that I'm feeling really depressed (I am on meds for it, but had been feeling great for the last two weeks). Ugh!!!!

I'm so discouraged and so very tempted to drink!!!! Will this pass?
Old 01-17-2012, 07:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes, it will pass. Are you going to AA meetings in your area ?
Old 01-17-2012, 07:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
High on Life

Yes, it will pass. You will look back on this time one day and laugh, but until then........whatever you do, don't pick up. It will get better, if you stick to it, that I can promise.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you, thank you! This stinks!!!

I have been to a few AA meetings, and just recently found a ladies group I felt comfortable in.

I am definitely in one-day-at-a-time mode, or better yet, one-thought-at-a-time mode. Thank you for being here for me!!!
Old 01-17-2012, 08:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Jamesgirl, cravings are just thoughts so examine them for what they are, just thoughts and let them pass. As far as depression goes, alcohol will only make that much worse. Alcohol is a depressant so anyone with anxiety/depression who tries to self medicate with alcohol is only adding fuel to the fire. You get short term relief until the alcohol wears off then your brain goes into a state of hypervigilance so you actually end up feeling worse than before you added alcohol to your mix of problems.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober Date: 01-01-2012

Remember: cravings are temporary. For me, they only last 5-10 minutes and reduce in severity and length over time.

Read the next two paragraphs slowly, carefully and multiple times.

This technique has helped me with cravings, both mild and severe: image there are two separate entities within yourself. There is the part that does not want to drink (you) and the part that wants to drink (NOT you). Now, imagine the part that wants to drink as a separate entity that wants to control you; alcohol created it. After realizing this, solely become the part that does not want to drink (you). Realize the craving is simply the voice of a foreign being that wants to trick you back into drinking; it's NOT part of you.

Realizing the dichotomy between yourself (the part that wants to quit drinking) and the foreign being (the part that wants to drink) has immensely helped me to bare the cravings. With practice, combating cravings becomes effortless.

Note: I have borrowed ideas from both the AVRT Method and Allen Carr's Book, The Easy Way to Stop Drinking.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jamesgirl

I don;t know about anyone else but I had cravings a lot longer than 20 days - I'd drunk for years - it took time to turn that around.

But I did...support here and elsewhere helped...I also found urge surfing was useful for me - maybe it might prove useful to you too

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

D
Old 01-17-2012, 08:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Hi Jamesgirl, 1 year, 6 months sober still have cravings, but it gets better, congrats on the 20 days.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The urge surfing that Dee mentioned is a great technique, it comes out of mindfulnes meditation. The idea is that you never try to block out the cravings, instead you welcome them, examine them, have a mental conversation with them if it helps, watch them rise and fall like a wave. Dees link explains it very well.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
obxpaul

Hey jamesgirl, congratulations on your 20 days! i am at 17 days today and, like you say, the urges that were non-existent a week ago are now around a lot. thankfully, I have a job that I would lose if any hint of alcohol was suspected and i am the only drinker (hopefully EX-DRINKER) in my house. Nevertheless, the urges on the way home are there. I have found that just lurking and reading of others' trials and tribulations on this site has been most helpful to me - very inspirational.

The fact that so many of us share common habits, urges, problems and small moments of redemption help me to realize that my problem is not unique to me and that it can be solved. Thanks to all whose own stories and advice have gotten me this far in my RECOVERY - a great word right there.

Jamesgirl, hang tough!!!
Old 01-18-2012, 07:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

keep you sugar intake up it will help with cravings and well done on 20 days
Old 01-19-2012, 09:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats on 20 days!!!!! That's so great.

Lisa.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congrats on 20 days!!!!! That's so great.

Lisa.