Notices

I've had a drink..

Old 01-06-2012, 06:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Baby Girl D

I've had a drink..

I've had a beer and I don't regret a thing (for once in my life) and I'm not makin it one night on drink and one night off ..

I haven't got my 2 eldest children their at my mums for the night, my 8 month old lil boy in his cot (I've done well considering I used to get him to sleep on my sofa)

Lifes good, everythings looking up for child protection, so my children will be off it in march :-D,

Life atm is good all together part from my childrens tantrums and I'm controlling it plus my bf been watchin nanny 911, we have to agree on kids goin on time out we back eachother up ( and I'm not american but I still watch the show).

I'm not lettin drink spoil my life, I'm jus bein a 24 (nearly 25) year old once in a while wanna few drinks but not the way I used to be
Old 01-06-2012, 06:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by dawnie24 View Post
...everythings looking up for child protection, so my children will be off it in march...
Was this done on account of the drinking by any chance?
Old 01-06-2012, 07:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

I'm still rootin for ya Dawnie

I drank/used fot twice as long as you have been alive. I'm encouraging you to stop and hope you do.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry to read this Dawnie - but you're an adult and are responsible for your decisions.

What I am worried about though is your kids.

Without getting into the whys and wherefores of what happened with the order, because that's your business - the child protection laws in the UK are pretty hardline aren't they?

You came here to SR for a reason - I remember you saying you wanted to quit for your kids and your partner.

If alcohols got you in trouble before, I'd really reconsider here Dawnie.

We've all thought that drinking is gonna be different for us this time...most of us found out how much of a lie that was

I guess what I'm asking is do you really want to risk it all for a sake of a beer?

D
Old 01-06-2012, 07:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Dawnie, Please be careful. You were so happy to be off it, & your anxiety attacks were less when you had quit.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I'm not lettin drink spoil my life, I'm jus bein a 24 (nearly 25) year old once in a while wanna few drinks but not the way I used to be
I hear you. I don't want to let a lot of things spoil my life. I just want to be a 46 yr old, and not deal with arthritis, a complicated drawn out divorce, multiple addictions, an alcoholic boyfriend, a low paying job...I'll stop there. Unfortunately, reality rears it's ugly head and those things are things I have to deal with. I don't truly have a choice to pretend they are not my reality.

I don't know if you're an alcoholic or not. Or whatever term applies to people who simply cannot drink occasionally and moderately anymore without going to the bad place. I hope you ARE a person who can have the occasional drink or three and not have it suck your life away.

If you ARE one of those folks. Have a great life. If you are not, I hope you'll come back here.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

If you REALLY thought what you were doing was the right thing, would you be posting it in here? I don't think so...

If I don't stop drinkin ill end up in hospital or dead its thveryone who I love dearly or end up 6 foot under
Old 01-06-2012, 11:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Idiot!

Good luck with that Dawnie. I struggled with the same thought for years. Could have saved myself a shed-load of strife if I'd stayed stopped when I first got off it at 26. I kept trying to do it like normal people for the next 16 years, with all the trouble that entailed.

If you do get into trouble again with your drinking, please don't be shy about coming back. We'll all still be here.

Best wishes.

Stu.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm hoping for you and your children that your drinking doesn't cause you further problems. If you've had a problem with drinking I don't think it's wise to gamble on starting up problems again over a simple beer. I'm 21, and I'll admit it's a little depressing to not be able to have a few drinks after work or at a party or while watching a game as most people do. But the risk far outweighs the benefits. If you've taken your life back from alcohol, why put yourself back in its reach?
Old 01-07-2012, 02:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
TheMostSordidSpotOnEarth

Forgive me if I am mistaken, but I thought you were pregnant?
Old 01-07-2012, 04:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Dawnie, I really hope you are not making the same mistake I did time and time again for years.

We all think that we can control alcohol and one of the things that makes us alcoholics is the inability to realise that we can't. And having some time off the booze can sometimes strengthen that belief - because you have been able to stop for a few days/weeks/months you start to think that you are in control. And because life get's better when you stop drinking, you begin to forget the reasons why you wanted to stop in the first place. So you have a drink.

But for an alcoholic, that drink is often the start of a destructive cycle that can continue for years. It destroys the alcoholic, and it destroys their family. I was raised by an alcoholic mother and I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

Good luck. I hope for your sake and your kids that you aren't an alcoholic and can manage some controlled drinking. But if you think you are, and need some support in the future, SR isn't going anywhere.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Don't hate/dislike the sick person but rather
hate/dislike the disease that is cunning, baffling
and powerful.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

I thought you were pregnant with your children on the child protection 'watch list'? A normal, non alcoholic person does not behave this way and you know it.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm way too early in recovery to give advice, but I just wanted to say that I'm sure life did seem wonderful after a couple drinks... But, it's a LIE I'm sure you'll realize it in the morning, or one of these mornings..
Old 01-07-2012, 08:41 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
High on Life

Who do you think you're fooling?

Here we go again day 1 and I feel like **** ... I don't think I'm ever gona stop like am not strong enough. I keep thinkin somethin gonna happen to me or am gonna turn strange like hearin voices in my head etc its to scary for me to go through that

My bf said if I have another drink him and the 3 kids have gone and he wil force me into rehab I was waitin for it

If I don't stop drinkin ill end up in hospital or dead its the truth and I think I need to face upto reality and stop before I lose everythin and everyone who I love dearly or end up 6 foot under
This was you a couple of months ago. Dawn you know what will happen.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

{Mods ~ Sorry for the double post, please delete one. Thank You :-)}

Hi Dawnie,

I just realized that I never followed up with a link to a documentary about alcoholism in the UK that you asked about in the past, so here it is for you now. Maybe now was the right time for you to see this. All of the best in your recovery ~ NB

I have never heard of it
Originally Posted by NewBeginning010 View Post
Here is the link to Revisiting Rain in my Heart from the BBC website:

BBC News Player - Revisiting Rain in my Heart
Here is a link to the documentary on YouTube: Rain In My Heart (1 of 10) - YouTube

Old 01-07-2012, 03:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Sober Date: 01-01-2012

I've been down the "I'll just have one drink" path many times. Unlike most, I actually don't binge the first time after a period of extended abstinence. However, after a week or two, my consumption slowly creeps back to pre-abstinence levels. Be careful, and best of luck.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:57 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by surething View Post
I've been down the "I'll just have one drink" path many times. Unlike most, I actually don't binge the first time after a period of extended abstinence. However, after a week or two, my consumption slowly creeps back to pre-abstinence levels. Be careful, and best of luck.
That's how it's always been for me too, during my various relapses. I've never binged the first one or two times drinking after a period of abstinence, and it took a while to reach (and then usually surpass) my pre-abstinence levels. It's one of the things that used to make me think I could control my drinking. I mean, if I could stop drinking for extended periods, and then "control" myself when I re-started, I surely wasn't an alcoholic, right?

Only I most certainly was. It took me years to realise it though, and then another few on top to accept it.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:40 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I've had a beer and I don't regret a thing (for once in my life) and I'm not makin it one night on drink and one night off ..

I haven't got my 2 eldest children their at my mums for the night, my 8 month old lil boy in his cot (I've done well considering I used to get him to sleep on my sofa)

Lifes good, everythings looking up for child protection, so my children will be off it in march :-D,

Life atm is good all together part from my childrens tantrums and I'm controlling it plus my bf been watchin nanny 911, we have to agree on kids goin on time out we back eachother up ( and I'm not american but I still watch the show).

You can lie to yourself all you want, but not many here will buy this load of crap for a millisecond.

Sincerely hope you come back and post an update once you realize how ridiculous this train of thought is. I'll also ask, since you haven't posted again, is it safe to assume that one beer turned into a few more?

Anyways, let us know how it works out yes? If you can't step up and help yourself, maybe your story can help someone else.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:44 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

There is an update now so I'll close this thread.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ike-cryin.html

D