Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

What are your annoying body issues when drinking?

Notices

What are your annoying body issues when drinking?

Old 12-30-2011, 07:47 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Red, bloodshot eyes, dry skin, dark circles under my eyes, about 10lbs extra in body weight and a redder than normal face. Those were the physical issues I noticed most when I was drinking and I knew they were caused by the amount of alcohol I was consuming. I was very pleased to see the back of them.

Things I didn't know were caused by drinking and which have stopped since I gave up the booze are constant heartburn and indigestion, night sweats, sleep problems (I thought the booze helped me sleep) and morning diarrhoea.

Frankly, I feel like a new woman since I stopped.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:55 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I can be such a doofus sometimes, I hadn't even noticed that I don't wake up drenched in sweat anymore! Wow. Over the last couple years I had noticed numbness in my legs but wrote it off to a surgery I'd had, well, the numbness is gone, so once again alcohol is to blame. I also thought my morning shakes were my low blood sugar...yeah. Acid reflux/indigestion is mostly gone too. Now I'm even MORE grateful for my sobriety!!
Old 12-30-2011, 08:15 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Wow, you know, reading this thread makes me wonder how the heck we EVER convinced ourselves that we drank because it was FUN!
Old 12-30-2011, 08:57 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

This thread has been so helpful! I am going to be medically detoxing tomorrow, so that will be my first day of sobriety. But I can relate to everything you all have said.

I wake up in the morning with the shakes, tingling in my hands and feet, and a puffy face and eyes. At night I wake up several times sweating (although at my age it could also be hot flashes!!). Once I'm up, I have to have a drink within an hour or the shaking becomes unbearable. Oh yes, and then discovering new bruises that I don't know how I got and having my husband tell me how obnoxious I was the night before. Yeah. Fun.

Looking forward to tomorrow!
Old 12-30-2011, 09:25 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Random Guy

I'm kind of a pale ******* so Gin blossoms/burst capalaries in my nose and cheeks that I doubt will ever go away. I wear glasses so people don't tend to notice them.

Ditto on Norths post being hillarious, who knew a joke about the Kyoto Protocol could be that funny? We all know its only that funny because its true, only I blamed it on my love of brussel sprouts and soft boiled eggs.

I am a nail bitter when anxious so naturally during the day after drinking I would sometimes cut them down enough to bleed.

Waking up in the morning after a night of heavy drinking and still tasting/smelling the alcohol evaporating in your breath.

Trying not to write anything in direct view of someone else because you didn't want them to see the pen shaking.

Making sure that even if it was going to make you late to work (only because you were hungover ans slept in) you jumped in the shower because being late was better than reeking of beer.

Bloodshot eyes (again the glasses helped). Thats about all I can think of for now.

INH
Old 12-30-2011, 09:47 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Yep. bloodshot eyes. night sweats. daytime sweats. digestion issues (probably caused both by alcohol and the fact that I would, like, microwave cheese and then eat it with a fork like it was spaghetti). blood in the toilet. stankiness. greasy, greasy hair. The THIRST... peeing every 30 minutes all day. the worst = the crippling anxiety, high blood pressure which would keep skyrocketing the more I worried... and drank, feeling my heart beat in my chest. so tired. stinky breath, even beyond the alcohol smell - white, fuzzy tongue. Purple, peeling lips (until someone noticed and I switched from red to white wine... so then just peely bloody lips). dry, dry, itchy skin. puffy everything. headache and nausea all day every day.

thank god it's over. (nine and a half months now)
Old 01-01-2012, 03:41 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MsJax View Post
I was fat & bloated. Red face, nasty bathroom issues. Flaking skin. Shaking hands. But my scariest physical symptoms were numbness from the waist down. Actual not able to feel my legs/tingling. So scary. But kept on drinking. Once I quit I got all the feeling back.
I had that numb/ tingling thing as well, but it also affected my arms to a certain extent. Scariest friggin thing that has happened to me physically, I was worried I might end up paralysed, but it went away after I stopped drinking and has slowly been getting better. The only thing that still remains is tingling here and there in my body.

Hmm, I also had acid reflux and various digestive issues, dry achy skin and a really foggy brain, I swear I felt like I got dumber and dumber.
Countless of other problems as well.

It's always good to remind myself about these things, cuz I tend to forget about it after some time sober and that's a little dangerous.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:38 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

When I start to drink.... for me I was always binge drinking but whenever I started to drink my belly inside grumbled and wasn't too keen on booze coming back in. But when abstaining and trying to maintain being sober after a binge, I get sick alot.... I was on a 4day bender 4 months ago and I puked non stop for a full day, I couldn't even keep in water though I forced myself because I knew dehydrating myself that way was way worse then I was at that point. I'm so thankful I'm sober once again! I don't want to go through all those symptoms of head exploding and being sick again. Geez I remember when after I was done puking, the next day... I was in so much pain because my chest muscle was all pulled from heaving all day it was even painful to breathe and it felt like my throat swallowed glass. Im so grateful to be sober today. New Years Eve was a breeze too, I didn't want to drink it was a sober, memory of the night I'll never forget.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:49 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Sweat like acid, breath and blood the same(this after about 4 days of DT's), pain in kidneys and recently liver region.

I still drink though??????????????? Only 3 times in two months but all 3 times to excess, i'm killing myself, know it but yet still do it!!!?? I know most of you have gone through similar. It's amazing.

Happy New Year everyone by the way.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:09 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I'm a 21 year old binge drinker.
When I drink, here is what usually follows in the morning after:

-Vomiting. I used to like vomiting in the past, I even made many jokes about it, but now it is just horrible. I dont have enough strength to crawl to a toilet or to vomit standing anymore. Now I puke when I'm l lying in bed and I have to clean it out afterwards. My matresses still have stains.
-Nausea. The nausea only complete subsides about 48 hours after the last drink. My appetite remains weak for 3 to 4 days. I lose weight and I'm already skinny. And I need to gain weight.
-Dry heaves. They're horrible..
-Weakness and lethargy. I feel so weak I barely can stand. There were times that I wanted to go to a drugstore that is 3 blocks away from my home, to buy medicine for nausea, but I couldnt walk three blocks even if my life depended on it. I remain weak until about 3 days after...
-Shaking and anxiety
-Stomach pain
-Sensitivity to light and sound. Cant stand anything that is not a dark room
-Diarrhea that lasts for 2 to 3 days
-Extreme repulse for the taste of smell of alcohol. Interesting I have also extreme repulse at the thought of the people that I drank with or the place that I drink in
-EXTREME thirsty. It's like I been in a desert for a week.

Those are the symptoms I usually have. Here are some symptons that I have sometimes:
-Loss of memory (black-out)
-Bruises, scratches and even serious cuts
-Headache
-Diziness
-Vomiting bile
-Racing heart for hours

I dont ever want to drink again
Old 01-01-2012, 06:10 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I'm a 21 year old binge drinker.
When I drink, here is what usually follows in the morning after:

-Vomiting. I used to like vomiting in the past, I even made many jokes about it, but now it is just horrible. I dont have enough strength to crawl to a toilet or to vomit standing anymore. Now I puke when I'm l lying in bed and I have to clean it out afterwards. My matresses still have stains.
-Nausea. The nausea only complete subsides about 48 hours after the last drink. My appetite remains weak for 3 to 4 days. I lose weight and I'm already skinny. And I need to gain weight.
-Dry heaves. They're horrible..
-Weakness and lethargy. I feel so weak I barely can stand. There were times that I wanted to go to a drugstore that is 3 blocks away from my home, to buy medicine for nausea, but I couldnt walk three blocks even if my life depended on it. I remain weak until about 3 days after...
-Shaking and anxiety
-Stomach pain
-Sensitivity to light and sound. Cant stand anything that is not a dark room
-Diarrhea that lasts for 2 to 3 days
-Extreme repulse for the taste of smell of alcohol. Interesting I have also extreme repulse at the thought of the people that I drank with or the place that I drink in

Those are the symptoms I usually have. Here are some symptons that I have sometimes:
-Headache
-Diziness
-Vomiting bile
-Racing heart for hours

I dont ever want to drink again
Old 01-01-2012, 06:38 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Totally me as well.

Yeah, I used to hate waking up with bruises too. Even worse was trying to remember what happened.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:01 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

You have just totally described me! Waking up with the shakes before I even got out of bed, horrible thirst, weakness, dry heaves, fuzzy tongue, bloated face and bloodshot eyes, and a foggy brain. Sometimes I was still drunk when I woke up in the morning. Then with all that going on, I'd still have to pull myself together and get the kids up and ready for school. Used to love my coffee in the morning, but it made me nauseous so it would have to be something sweet and carbonated, followed by a shot or two of whiskey just to get me feeling steady. Oh yes, and the aches and pains and bruises that I didn't remember getting. What a great way to wake up in the morning. NOT!

You will LOVE waking up in the morning with a clear head, the energy to get out of bed, and the gratitude of another great day!
Old 01-02-2012, 02:21 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

I would say the bloat look and red face!! The stale alcohol smell in the mornings...gross! And...worrying thru the day if your gonna need a bathroom asap!!!Oh and I hate the pain around my liver!!! Sounds weird but this thread as been fun to read...I don't feel so alone with my drinking/drunken body issue!
Old 01-02-2012, 06:00 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Reading all these posts makes me think, how did we put up with it? If we read this without ever experiencing it we would think everyone posting is insane to keep drinking with all these differeny symptoms. I used to hate the shakes, ringing in the ears, not being able to concentrate, looking at a page of words and seeing right through it, unstable facial muscles, feeling like my spine is a column of glass ready to shatter any second and after feeling like that for 3 days I would drink again after regaining my strength. This website reminds me to stay away from drinking when Im feeling "healthy". The depression and shame of my alcoholic past still hangs over me but I know it stops one day.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:44 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

ZERO energy. so ive told myself im quitting and picked up a gym membership. been a tough first 2 days but im holding up
also bathroom habits were all out of whack, id shower sometimes once every 3-4 days. i HATE being at work hung over as hell every day, then i just come home and sleep
Old 01-02-2012, 07:07 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

This thread has made me realise I am not alone. The worst symptoms for me were the vomitting and bowel movements. I also used to go a strange red/sometimes grey colour. Severe abdominal pain, shaking, excessive sweating. I also have severe palpatations, and the worst experience was when I collapsed in the street on my way to work after a four day binge and woke up in A and E. I am on my third day of sobreity after relapsing after seven weeks. I wish I could click my fingers and make the addiction go away, but I realise I just need to take each day at a time. I binge worst on the school holidays (I work in a school) and am considering a rehab stay in summer if nothing improves. But I am confident this time (that said, I always am )

The insomnia is hellish too. I have had about four hours sleep in the past three days.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:57 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

I hate the fogginess I feel for days after a 12 hour binge of mixers and shots. My attention span is so short during it that I've been known to walk away from someone in the middle of a conversation! It's incredibly rude, but usually I just can't process what's being said to me and I get tired trying to understand it...
Old 01-03-2012, 08:24 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Meow

Here's something people may not aware of - when my husband (who does not drink normally) goes to bed before me, the bedroom absolutely reeks of alcohol from his breathing. It's something I find very challenging as I am trying to stop drinking.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:33 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
L'il fighter

Originally Posted by Sarah85 View Post
I hate the fogginess I feel for days after a 12 hour binge of mixers and shots. My attention span is so short during it that I've been known to walk away from someone in the middle of a conversation! It's incredibly rude, but usually I just can't process what's being said to me and I get tired trying to understand it...
Funny you should mention that. Two months into my sobriety and I actually feel that way *now* as opposed to when I was drinking. I'm too impatient with others, and lose interest in the conversation before it's over. I almost want to shake them and say "GET TO THE POINT DAMNIT I DON'T HAVE ALL DAY!!"