Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

What are your annoying body issues when drinking?

Notices

What are your annoying body issues when drinking?

Old 12-27-2011, 09:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question What are your annoying body issues when drinking?

I'm just curious. What are the things you HATE MOST about your body when you're drinking (or starting to abstain)
I know for me, first and foremost is I get sick really easily and I have to go to the bathroom a lot (TMI #2) which is super annoying.
Also my skin is always dry, I break out a lot and my nails break non stop.
I guess I'm weird but I love reminding myself now why I'm glad I've stopped drinking. Just hope that slowly but surely the physical symptoms go away.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh man, this could get interesting. I experienced the same issues... so glad I don't play the Dangerous Game whenever I have to fart anymore. You guys know what I am talking about. My skin was dry too, and I was a weird color. Kind of grey and yellow and redder than normal.

The worst part for me was having no energy. I wasn't working in the traditional sense, so I would just lay around in bed for days or weeks. I didn't take a shower sometimes for a week, or brush my teeth or anything like that if I didn't have to. I had a huge stack of dirty dishes and laundry... It was hard to even let the dog go outside to use the potty sometimes. Not sure how I made it to the bathroom myself, lol (Well sometimes I guess I didn't... darn that Dangerous Game).

Ugh. You know, I'm not totally better now. I still want to take naps all the time and I don't have a lot of energy, but it's so much better than before. I'm really grateful for any improvement. This sounds so pathetic, but if I can just make it out of bed, eat something healthy, take a shower and brush my teeth it's been a good day.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Feeling hungover and like vomiting all the time. Half-barfing bile that burns my throat. The bruises I don't remember getting. The pain around my liver. The diarrhea. The heart arrhythmia and tachycardia. The puffy liver-strained face. The sour BO. The likelihood of dropping dead any moment...
Old 12-27-2011, 09:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

the last month of heavy drinking (Feb. 2010), i was losing my hair by the handful in the shower...from not eating properly and stress I guess. my lower abdomen was always sore, my face was always red and bloated, my eyes were always dry.

i had lost almost 50% of my hair and thankfully during the next year it grew back and regained the thickness.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PaleMale View Post
Feeling hungover and like vomiting all the time. Half-barfing bile that burns my throat. The bruises I don't remember getting. The pain around my liver. The diarrhea. The heart arrhythmia and tachycardia. The puffy liver-strained face. The sour BO. The likelihood of dropping dead any moment...
Oddly enough, now that I'm 14 days I've noticed that I get really odd smelling BO. Can't stand myself in the morning before I get into the shower
Oh that and now my urine is all sorts of weird colors! From neon green, to bright mountain dew yellow. Yes, I know, a bit of TMI. It used to be dull colored. LOL
Old 12-27-2011, 10:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Do you take B vitamin supplements? That will make your pee weird.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes I do now girl. I've figured that is why it's changed to such entertaining colors!
Old 12-27-2011, 10:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
In my Own Little World

Before I quit drinking - hated the HORRIBLE bloat and gas I got. It was awful!!! People used to stare at me because sitting in lecture, you would hear it over the professor and what not. It was so embarrassing. Yet I still kept drinking. Insomnia was horrible while I was drinking too.

Now - I am battling acne I never had before. Not quite sure where that cropped up from. Also dealing with health problems that I buried the pain with under the alcohol. I'd rather have the health problems and pain, however than the problems that alcohol brought me on a daily basis!
Old 12-27-2011, 10:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I hated when my body would fail to hold up my motorcycle at intersections, and then it would fail field sobriety tests. That was kinda annoying.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

Great topic!

For me:
-I always smelled like burnt alcohol. The smell revolted me. It was from the cheap white wine I drank combined with cr*p vodka.
-Puffy, bloated nose and eyes.
-Easily bruised (people would ask me what was going on).
-Diarrhea.
-Area around my mouth always really dry. Outer lips always severely chapped from swigging from the bottle all day long.
-Hairy tongue.
-Swollen fingers.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Many of the same symptoms you guys have all described: lost a lot of hair, bloated, diarrhea for a few. So I have to laugh when even after all that this last Christmas I was asking myself why I couldn't just have 1 drink...silly.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

... the burping, oh the endless burping.
stomach spasm while driving to the 'beer' store, prop open the door and throw-up, actually happened twice while moving down the road and I just kept driving. (I didn't drink and drive, but as Roy Munson once said: I don't puke when I drink... I puke when I don't.)
Old 12-27-2011, 01:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GirlFromCO View Post
so glad I don't play the Dangerous Game whenever I have to fart anymore. You guys know what I am talking about.
rotfl that cracked me up!! Yes, digestive system is 1000 times better. That area was probably the most annoying/difficult to work around when drinking followed closely by the brain fog. Pretty much zero memory and the intellect of a placemat. Happy to report it's slowly coming back...
Old 12-27-2011, 01:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

HI Munchkin!
I haven't drank for 8 days and I can already tell differences in my body. First and foremost my bathroom habits have returned to normal, no need to get into all of that though! I notice that I am actually "thirsty." I didn't realize before how much I was dehydrating myself and didn't drink anything normal, water, juice, tea, or whatever. There were days when I didn't drink anything but alcohol, and didn't really feel a normal thirst for anything else. The feeling of being bloated has decreased also. My rings aren't tight anymore and my face doesn't have that classic puffy look after waking up. In fact, last night I went to work and my supervisor said," you look different." Same scrubs, same way I've done my hair, same make-up, no difference except that I haven't drank in a little over a week now. I didn't get into a full conversation with him about it but he usually isn't one to notice appearances, or care. The tone of his voice seemed positive when he spoke so I like to assume that I look better already. On my post I mentioned that I was a healthcare worker, but I might as well say that I am an RN and just get it out there. I'm going to be on this site for a very very long time!
I've seen the negative effects of alcohol effect people in the last three years and sit and think about what they "used to look like" when I first met them. Alcohol not only ages people but it really effects the body systems in a terrible way. I should know better, but I was in complete denial that my body was starting to look worn and unhealthy. No amount of makeup can cover that up! Feeling these subtle differences in the last week give me confidence. Hope this was helpful:-)
Old 12-27-2011, 02:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The scourge of the middle aged man.

Hemorrhoids...bleeding hemorrhoids after a bowel movement.
Very embarrassing uncomforable, and humiliating.

Since quitting drinking I have not had that problem.
Not once.
Old 12-27-2011, 02:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Well, I guess those aren't negative things that I've experienced from not drinking only positive. But, I have experienced the "brain fog" that others have mentioned. It almost feels like a disconnected feeling at times with a little dizziness. I've also been very emotional and cry almost instantly, which generally isn't something that I do. Not so much irritable, but a very "low" feeling. I've since started on a new antidepressant to help fight the depression. It's been a long time since I've "felt" emotions, so it can be overwhelming at times. Can't wait until the med works but MD said it will probably not be therapeutic until a month from now. I also bruise very easily and have ended up with some whoppers from just slightly bumping into something. Not very attractive during the summer when wearing a bathing suit.
Old 12-27-2011, 02:07 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by blackoutgirl View Post
HI Munchkin!
I haven't drank for 8 days and I can already tell differences in my body. First and foremost my bathroom habits have returned to normal, no need to get into all of that though! I notice that I am actually "thirsty." I didn't realize before how much I was dehydrating myself and didn't drink anything normal, water, juice, tea, or whatever. There were days when I didn't drink anything but alcohol, and didn't really feel a normal thirst for anything else. The feeling of being bloated has decreased also. My rings aren't tight anymore and my face doesn't have that classic puffy look after waking up. In fact, last night I went to work and my supervisor said," you look different." Same scrubs, same way I've done my hair, same make-up, no difference except that I haven't drank in a little over a week now. I didn't get into a full conversation with him about it but he usually isn't one to notice appearances, or care. The tone of his voice seemed positive when he spoke so I like to assume that I look better already. On my post I mentioned that I was a healthcare worker, but I might as well say that I am an RN and just get it out there. I'm going to be on this site for a very very long time!
I've seen the negative effects of alcohol effect people in the last three years and sit and think about what they "used to look like" when I first met them. Alcohol not only ages people but it really effects the body systems in a terrible way. I should know better, but I was in complete denial that my body was starting to look worn and unhealthy. No amount of makeup can cover that up! Feeling these subtle differences in the last week give me confidence. Hope this was helpful:-)
Keep it up. It will keep getting better and better. Don't let situations lead you back to the drink, because eventually your patience will be tested. Don't fall into the trap that many do after a couple weeks sober when they think they are "back to normal". What I hate to see the most is when someone jumps into recovery and rebuilds their life, but then goes right back to it once the coast is clear.

I also have a Boston Terrier!! Less of a handful sober
Old 12-27-2011, 02:31 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I was fat & bloated. Red face, nasty bathroom issues. Flaking skin. Shaking hands. But my scariest physical symptoms were numbness from the waist down. Actual not able to feel my legs/tingling. So scary. But kept on drinking. Once I quit I got all the feeling back.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:59 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Oh my gosh MsJax, I had forgotten all about the numbness. I used to get numb patches on my legs and feet. I have to say, aside from the annoying stuff, the scary stuff was much worse - hallucinations the morning after, waking up with burns and wounds I didn't remember, constantly thinking of suicide, being numb, hot and cold sweats even when I was drinking, and then eventually having a seizure from withdrawal. The seizure is what finally brought me to quitting.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:02 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
c49
Its time for bed

Never trust a fart...