Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

OKAY, who wants to commit not to drink for 5 days with me?

Notices

OKAY, who wants to commit not to drink for 5 days with me?

Old 12-22-2011, 12:29 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Cool

Originally Posted by hereigo View Post
If there are other DRUNKS out there (and believe me, you probably do not consume as much as I...we can discuss that later) who will commit to not to take a drink for five days, (Mon-Fri) of this week, then let me know. If I make a commitment to you, then I will likely keep my word. IS THERE ONE OR TWO PEOPLE WHO HAVE THE CAHONES TO DO THIS WITH ME?

:rotfxko
I,ll match your 5days and raise you 5 days
Old 12-22-2011, 12:39 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Self Recovered with AVRT

Private Messaging

Sorry about that. I am new to forums, and at the time I started this thread, I did not know what "PM" meant (I don't text or twitter, so I thought it was something like that). But I understand how to PM now, so yes, I certainly do PM. Peace
Old 12-22-2011, 12:51 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Administrator

Members can only edit their posts in a 15 minute window here.

I can't really see the point in removing posts from several days back now.
Lets all just move on.

D
Old 12-22-2011, 01:05 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Self Recovered with AVRT

Originally Posted by ReadyAndAble View Post
I'm very interested in seeing what happens after the re-evaluation on Friday. My hope is that the first few days provide hereigo and his pact-mates the confidence and desire to sign on for an immediate extension.
Hey, now you get it, huh? That's what I said before! But, today is only day four, and that's where we are in our five day pact. Slow down. We are working on today. So many want to push, push push. No need to shove; there is plenty of cake for everyone. Breathe deep...count to ten. Smile.

Thank you for your for your support and encouragement, ReadyAndAble, as well as the other people who have given encouragement and had an open mind about this. Thanks to all who have responded, even the one's that have a contradicting opinion. That's the beauty and usefulness of this forum, is that it allowed the creation of this little unit, for four individuals to band together and create an energy and bond for a higher purpose.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:10 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

How you doing Hereigo....Everybody still on board? I kind of miss that little circle of smiley guys going around...It's good motivation for me. We're getting close bud.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:43 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

So many want to push, push push.
I think of it as pull, pull, pull, hereigo. No one wants to see newcomers fall into abyss, which happens all too often. I think the concerns people voice about this pact simply reflect a genuine concern for you. People die from this, ya know? We're all on the same team here. And I am definitely rooting for you guys.

So here you go, Sapling:

Old 12-22-2011, 06:12 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Appreciate that....
Old 12-22-2011, 06:16 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

I'm rooting for you guys too, but I got to tell you, when I first saw your first post Monday morning, I tough you were playing a game. Abstain from drinking for 5 days and then go back to where you came from. It was like a bet that you could do it, not a serious attempt at sobriety.

Had you said: I intend to live sober, but I need to get through the first five days first, I think you would have had a lot more people backing you instead of jumping on your behind. Everyone has a different approach to what they have to do for themselves.

When you are in a live group you may be able to account to the person next to you face to face, but in an internet forum like this, who knows who you are or what you are doing behind the keyboard. A lot of people come into SR and are very jubilant about their program, and quietly disappear after a short time without any real accountability, making some of us very skeptical.

To me, it is not about how many days you do not consume alcohol, it is about recognizing what alcohol has done to your life and what you need to do correct that, every day of your life.

Good luck.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:36 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

You know...It's kind of funny....He just asked for a couple alkies to go five days without drinking with him...And we're doing it. I have no reason to not take him on his word for that....I think he just wants to do it...
And this thread now has 4 pages...90 replies...and 1700 views...I mean I have to give this guy some credit.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:14 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Self Recovered with AVRT

Hey there, Sapling. You bet I am on board. I can only speak for myself. As to the others, it is their choice if they stay on board or not. I never said it would be easy for anyone, if they wanted to participate. But I am steady. Day five is tomorrow, then we communicate in the evening tomorrow as to the next step... as was planned.

Anyway, 'nuff said. I am sober, you are sober. I am glad you are there. Let's keep on keepin' on. Yeah, baby! Don't drink! Can't find the circle of smiley guys...seems to have been mysteriously removed from the icon options (seriously...hmmm). Maybe its my mistake.

Anyways, joy to the world!

Old 12-22-2011, 09:55 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Who Farted?

Congrats guys, wether your yard stick measures in 5 day or 24 hour intervals, I wish you the best in continued sobriety.

Traid.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:13 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Congratulations! Pat yourself on the back! All the time and any time! Be proud of yourself because what you're doing is really hard. And you are doing it for yourself. You're the one that gets to wake up without a hangover.

Have faith that it will get better. It already is getting better. Alcohol dulls everything, not just bad stuff. Good stuff feels better and better the longer you don't drink. Identify when you are feeling good and savor it. The cravings will get better.

One day at a time might seem crazy at first but there are times where I find hour to hour to be useful. I look at it as an ongoing adventure--dealing with my life straight after being drunk for twenty odd years.

I'm at day 53 and I started because my best drinking buddy quit after a fight with his wife. We're both still on the wagon. I can't speak for him but I have come to the conclusion that this is something that I want to do for the rest of my life. Since I've come this far I just don't see a down side to it.

I quit for 30 days at a time a couple of times during my illustrious drinking career but it was like holding my breath and I would then just explode back into drinking, happy but knowing that drinking was a big scary monster. Now I'm beating that monster down because I'm a bad ass.

Keep after it. That Christmas Eve without a hangover was just a taste...
Old 12-23-2011, 11:10 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

I'm still in. I love the support.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:56 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  
FT

Go team go!
Old 12-23-2011, 12:39 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Herigo....I have to say..so many people have thrown a what if...that isn't going to work...etc etc to you. But you are still sober. I have been following this thread with interest....and you should be very proud of yourself. If you need someone to talk to till midnight I am here.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:54 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

It's there
Old 12-23-2011, 03:39 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I hope the lessons you learn stay strong when the novelty of this thread wears off.

although I am not sure if the last two are already sober, or are still in the heat of the battle, like me. Are you?
1 day in, 10 days in, 100 days in - the battle's still raging hot imo.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:25 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Almost there Bud...Still safe, sane and sober here. What are the marching orders?...And good job Drala!
Old 12-23-2011, 07:25 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Sobriety is not for sprinters, it's for marathon runners.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:37 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Self Recovered with AVRT

BP44: I know that. Don't forget that yourself. I won't either.

ForeverDecember: There is no novelty in this.

Sapling: As far as I have been able to discern, there are three of us who chose to join together and have maintained this pact...you, Fatty, and me. I am sorry the others were not able to make it, which seems to be the case due to their non-communication, or their privately opting-out. I am solid for today. I communicated with Fatty today, and he said he will be offline till Wed, but he also seems to feel this pact is of value to him. So, it is three of us.

So, we have achieved the goal. Five days of no alcohol. I can tell you are solid, Sapling, I can tell Fatty is solid, and I know I am solid. Stage one: completed.

Stage two: I am recommitting to you and Fatty that I will not drink on Saturday or Christmas Day. Please reciprocate. Fatty already did. I will be spending the entire day and evening with family on Christmas Day, and the booze will be abundantly consumed by those around me. I may limit the time I spend there, for obvious reasons, although I am not really all that worried that I will drink. The first reason is, I want out of this prison I put myself in, with alcohol. The second reason is, I gave my fellow pactees my word. That means a lot to me, and really, really helps to know that you other two have given me your word. You expressed to me in a PM part of what this means to you. You were the first person to answer my original posting of this thread (you jumped aboard within one minute after I posted). Thank you, Sapling. Thank you Fatty.

I have been drinking on average 20-30 units, usually about 5 days per week, for most of the the last decade, and plenty leading up to that level during the prior 15 years. Of course, after abruptly shutting down the intake of the poison, there are emotional feelings to deal with. Right now, I feel pretty emotionally flat-lined. Melancholy; and like I am walking on the moon, with a sort of dizzying gaze at the bleached-out landscape. I am not taking any of this for granted. I am not "white knuckling" it, but accepting it. The cravings I have are far outmatched by the vision I have of a life free of alcohol. I have been at this for so long. Seen so much destruction in my drinking career; numerous arrests, hospitalizations, injuries, rehab, evicted from my home, lost jobs, bankruptcy, and more. But I still have dreams and life goes on, or it will if I stop drinking. I have finally reached the fork in the long road.

I have "tried" to quit before, but I truly feel this is the end of the line for me and alcohol. This time is different. I have been drinking long enough, and it it like saying goodbye to an old friend. Nevertheless, the pact is REALLY helping me move forward, and preparing to bury my lifelong companion, booze. Without the pact, I do not think I would be able to make it through these early stages of sobriety

After Stage Two is complete, we reconvene on Sunday evening and re-commit to Stage Three: to not drink during the Monday through Friday of next week. Then, Stage Four: to not drink on the weekend of New Years Eve/New Years Day. That is enough planning for now.

We are each doing this for ourselves, but this pact is critical to my holding my ground as I regain consciousness. Again thank you.

Also, thank you to the understanding, loving expressions of support from some very special individuals, as well as the critical recommendations and wisdom from other special individuals.

In wrapping this up, I ain't out of the woods yet, so I will focus on staying sober today, and then tomorrow, first and foremost.

Stay strong! With gratitude...Hereigo