Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

OKAY, who wants to commit not to drink for 5 days with me?

Notices

OKAY, who wants to commit not to drink for 5 days with me?

Old 12-19-2011, 09:38 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I'm in too!
Old 12-19-2011, 09:41 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hereigo View Post
If there are other DRUNKS out there (and believe me, you probably do not consume as much as I...we can discuss that later) who will commit to not to take a drink for five days, (Mon-Fri) of this week, then let me know. If I make a commitment to you, then I will likely keep my word. IS THERE ONE OR TWO PEOPLE WHO HAVE THE CAHONES TO DO THIS WITH ME?

:rotfxko
Do you have the CAHONES to do it with me, for LIFE?
Best to you and whatever method you choose to not drink!
Old 12-19-2011, 09:49 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Programmaddict

I had the willpower to declare a set time period and not drink for that time period. Even went 90 days. But on the 91st day I drank and I drank hard. And for 90 days I was obsessing about the upcoming 91st day. That doesn't fit my definition of sobriety; to me that is just white knuckling things to give myself the impression that I can control and enjoy my drinking.

Maybe it will work differently for you, though.

I know I had to try everything before I came to my final conclusions.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:55 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Programmatic View Post
I know I had to try everything before I came to my final conclusions.
Just curious...What were your final conclusions?
Old 12-19-2011, 10:05 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I haven't had a drink in over 3 years so sure, I'll go another 5 days.

When I was still activily drinking though ..... I was never very successfull at these dry spells. Sure, I might make the 5 days and then it was ON. Sent me to the hospital quite a few times. Should have died.

I finally decided I didn't want to die and quit drinking all together.

hereigo -- If you have a drinking problem why not go for total abstinence? It ain't always easy but it's very possible. Lots of people around here that do it in lots of different ways.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:05 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

There is lots of wisdom in this thread. I'm curious about the idea of the interconnection of us all as sober alcoholics supporting each other. For me (I'm a Buddhist - can you tell??) it's how I am able to relate with AA's idea of God as I understand him/her/it. It's our interconnectedness that I am thinking of as my higher power. I know that there are sober alcoholics in this world who, by staying sober, are supporting me, and who I, in my sobriety, support as well. I am new to AA, having been put off by the God thing in the past, but I have not been able to stay sober using only my own resolve. I think I'm missing something here, because AA is a fellowship. I understand not basing my sobriety on someone else's, but what is wrong with what is being proposed here, which, I think anyway, is an effort to connect and be supported by each other?
Old 12-19-2011, 10:10 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Drala View Post
There is lots of wisdom in this thread. I'm curious about the idea of the interconenction of us all as sober alcoholics supporting each other. For me (I'm a Buddhist - can you tell??) it's how I am able to relate with AA's idea of God as I understand him/her/it. It's our interconnectedness that I am thinking of as my higher power. I know that there are sober alcoholics in this world who, by staying sober, are supporting me, and who I, in my sobriety, support as well. I am new to AA, having been put off by the God thing in the past, but I have not been able to stay sober using only my own resolve. I think I'm missing something here, because AA is a fellowship. I understand not basing my sobriety on someone else's, but what is wrong with what is being proposed here, which, I think anyway, is an effort to connect and be supported by each other?

Whatever works for you....Works for me! Thanks for sharing...I liked that.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:20 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Programmaddict

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
Just curious...What were your final conclusions?
In summary and to context; that I could never control and enjoy my drinking and that today would be the 1st day of forever not drinking. I also concluded that I couldn't do it alone, and by alone I mean I did not have the power within myself and no other person or group of persons could provide that power. I also concluded that if I were to continue drinking at any point and to any extent that it would very likely lead to a very ugly outcome from which I likely could not recover. In short, I was more scared to drink than of not drinking.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:42 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

This is an interesting thread. I can understand the urge to partner up in new sobriety and I can see the wisdom of not making one's sobriety contingent on another person. Very curious as to the outcome...
Old 12-19-2011, 02:12 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Just one question hereigo - are you planning on drinking after this 5 days?
Old 12-19-2011, 02:18 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I have the same question as dgillz! However, I wish you luck. Have you thought of something nice to reward yourself with, besides alcohol? Those things are helpful - I bought myself a nice bracelet at 100 days and plan to upgrade at 1 year.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:33 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

According to my calendar, days 50-54 are available for continued sobriety.

I agree with PaperDolls and Programmatic, timed quitting always led to power drinking for me. You guys should see who can go the longest.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:12 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Self Recovered with AVRT

Today, I am sober. I understand I must make a commitment for life. But, I just know the holidays are especially difficult when battling alcoholism. I wanted to help myself get through this week, one day at a time, without alcohol. By inviting others (who have a serious drinking problem) to join me in establishing a five day period with no alcohol consumption, it helps me to begin. I will get through these five days. Come Saturday, I will have to see how I can extend the alcohol free period. But, just 5 days would be a great start for me. Thanks to those who are joining me. This is no game, it is a form of support. It is working for me today. Stay strong, friends. And stay with me.

I do appreciate the wisdom and comments from those of you who have already reached sobriety. I also really appreciate the participation of those who, like me, have not. To you I say, let's do it! Stay strong.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:00 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hereigo View Post
Today, I am sober. I understand I must make a commitment for life. But, I just know the holidays are especially difficult when battling alcoholism. I wanted to help myself get through this week, one day at a time, without alcohol. By inviting others (who have a serious drinking problem) to join me in establishing a five day period with no alcohol consumption, it helps me to begin. I will get through these five days. Come Saturday, I will have to see how I can extend the alcohol free period. But, just 5 days would be a great start for me. Thanks to those who are joining me. This is no game, it is a form of support. It is working for me today. Stay strong, friends. And stay with me.

I do appreciate the wisdom and comments from those of you who have already reached sobriety. I also really appreciate the participation of those who, like me, have not. To you I say, let's do it! Stay strong.
I'm with you brother....We'll worry about extending it when we get done with five days...One day at a time.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:50 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
once in a . . .

i don't drink one day at a time - works for me

Blue
sober in AA since 1992
Old 12-19-2011, 08:13 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Not drinking 5 days only to binge at the finish line will be the two steps back for your one step forward.

It is too short a time period to be of value...you'll still be detoxing.

If you want to play this game you'll need to do it for at last one month. At the very least you'll get into a much better head space and perhaps have enough distance from the drink to make a decision on how you proceed from there.

That being said, I suspect You're simply not ready to quit yet and that you will need to experience the pitfalls that everyone can see so clearly for yourself. Everyone quits drinking eventually. I'm just glad I have been able to do it while I'm still alive!
Old 12-19-2011, 08:23 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

LOL. I can make 5 days with out drinking I think. It's been 2,304 days already so God willing maybe there's 5 more in there. So yeah, I'll make a pack with you. ~
Old 12-20-2011, 08:19 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I'm in. I feel strong, able, willing etc. No problem. I'm back on track! I'm committed to NEVER DRINK AGAIN..!
Old 12-20-2011, 08:25 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Self Recovered with AVRT

Day 2 for me, holding steady. Thanks for your support!
Old 12-20-2011, 08:31 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I have pretty big cajones for a chick LOL commit to life and you'll be a true badass