Notices

My Journey

Old 12-20-2011, 04:24 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

You're doing great....Don't stop now. I have to give utmost credit on staying away from that fridge...Sounds like you want this.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:57 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
You're doing great....Don't stop now. I have to give utmost credit on staying away from that fridge...Sounds like you want this.
I'll be honest with you Sapling....I love beer, and at the end of the day it was a nice way for me to relax. The problem is, I could never have just one or 2. My first sip and half the bottle was gone. Next thing you know I am at number 6 or more...sometimes much more? I would go to the beerstore daily and pick up 6-12. Just couldn't stop.

After so many years of abuse(since university) and I am only 38, with a one year old......My wife sat me down and let me have it. She said she was fed up, and did not want to raise a baby by herself. Told me that if I keep on this track I would never make it to his 10th birthday...which is true.

I made many promises to her to quit, and broke them all.

I spoke with my family doctor multiple times, who really didn't get it, or care!

My wife found me another family doctor who changed everything for me. Unreal what a difference one who really cares about his patients can do.

I feel empowered to quit...I want to quit.....

Its just too bad that anything worth doing or having is so damn tough to accomplish.

I have unbelievable athletic accomplishments that took years of sacrifice and countless hours that most could only dream of....and I am finding getting sober MUCH MUCH more difficult than any athletic achievement I have attained! What an absolutely horrible feeling that a bottle of liquid can have that much control over ones life.

I have to quit! I have no choice!
Old 12-20-2011, 05:08 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Cervelo, one thing that happens in early sobriety is your blood sugar goes haywire. I remember reading about this but can't give all the specifics.

Anyway in brief, alcohol plays havoc with both glucose and glycogen. In the aftermath of heavy drinking, the body is struggling to restore its blood chemistry to healthy levels; you need to eat good carbs and high quality protein to help it out.

See if there are any foods that appeal to you in small amounts throughout the day: granola, whole wheat bread and peanut butter, eggs, yogurt, a smoothie, whatever you like that's easy on the digestion.

Also, the headache might be dehydration since the kidneys are also healing and in this process can become hyperactive. So if you drink Gatorade or any sports drink with electrolytes that will help.

Best wishes to you and stay strong!!
Old 12-21-2011, 04:16 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

D A Y 7

Never in my wildest dreams did I think I could make it to day 7 during Christmas. I did it!
Yesterday was by far the worst for physical symptoms. I had one of the worst headaches I have had in years that just would not quit. Dizziness, nausea continued.
Last evening I had a better sleep than I have had in a long time. I wasn't hot and cold, and didn't have to get up 5 times to expel 6-8 beers throughout the night.

This is the most days I have gone without drinking in 20 years! Why was I able to get here? What changed this time? Why no broken promises to my wife that I was quitting this time? What is different?

I had a plan....and assistance from a great family Doc....And I attended online AA meetings to listen to others with the same problems as I. A supportive environment was essential for my ability to achieve 7 days.

I am picking up family at the airport today who all drink, and are staying with us. The house is packed with alcohol!
If I can get through the next 7 days, with the help and support of my wife....Then I can make it forever....Because nothing will be more challenging than spending the next week with a family of heavy drinkers and family HX of ETOH abuse.

I will be sneaking in here to the office throughout the days to check in here for support and motivation....will also be attending online AA meetings.

Thank you everyone....

Although I physically feel absolutely horrible and want to drink.....Mentally I know I achieved something amazing by reaching 7 days. First time in 20 years! I am beating the odds! And I already saved $140 by not drinking for 7 days
Old 12-21-2011, 04:44 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Cervelo..congratulations! 7 days! I am glad for you. Keep posting over the next 7 days. It will be a struggle, but one that will be worth it!
Jim
Old 12-21-2011, 04:54 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations on your week Cervelo!

D
Old 12-22-2011, 03:52 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Day 8

Yesterday was FILLED with challenges!
Picked up the family of drinkers at the airport. There was no drinking till' about 7pm..then EVERYONE started having wine and beer! I listened to the advice the vets on here gave me and carried a bottle of water and never put it down.
I was asked NUMEROUS times why no drink for me, and whats wrong?
I sat there watching my brother drink my favorite beer....one after another after another.

It was my toughest challenge yet. BUT, I did not drink! Somehow I made it. I was relieved and was praying for everyone to say bedtime. When they did my prayers were answered.
I then had a very hard time getting to sleep. My sleep was very poor.

All this to say....I did it. No Alcohol!
Old 12-22-2011, 05:07 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Cervelo... that is great. Thank you for posting. I am truly glad to hear that you made it through the evening! Your posting is very inspirational and I wish you success in todays journey!

Jim
Old 12-23-2011, 03:22 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Day 9

It is safe to say....I did not have fun yesterday! It was TOUGH!
After dinner guests were drinking 6-7 beer relaxing and laughing, wifes were having wine. I had to stay busy cleaning dishes, drinking water and making small talk I really did't want to make. I REALLY wanted to drink. I stayed sober and went to bed early and left them up. Hopefully they don't think I am a bad host?

It is now 6am, I am up feeling great. I am proud I do not have to start at day 1 again!

Today will pose other challenges as we embark on a Christmas party at another family members house. I have planned ahead and already volunteered to DD.

I hope everyone does well today and sticks to their guns.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:01 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Cervelo..Following your posts.. Day 9 not day 1. Excellent! Tomorrow will be day 10 and not day 1. Just get through today.

Jim
Old 12-23-2011, 06:03 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

You're doing great Cervelo...Almost like you're being tested...Sounds like you are passing with flying colors.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:03 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
High on Life

Originally Posted by cervelo View Post
If I can get through the next 2 weeks...I can make it forever!
I have never heard this one before. Hope it works out for you.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:35 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

7 days that fantastic

Originally Posted by cervelo View Post
D A Y 7

Never in my wildest dreams did I think I could make it to day 7 during Christmas. I did it!
Yesterday was by far the worst for physical symptoms. I had one of the worst headaches I have had in years that just would not quit. Dizziness, nausea continued.
Last evening I had a better sleep than I have had in a long time. I wasn't hot and cold, and didn't have to get up 5 times to expel 6-8 beers throughout the night.

This is the most days I have gone without drinking in 20 years! Why was I able to get here? What changed this time? Why no broken promises to my wife that I was quitting this time? What is different?

I had a plan....and assistance from a great family Doc....And I attended online AA meetings to listen to others with the same problems as I. A supportive environment was essential for my ability to achieve 7 days.

I am picking up family at the airport today who all drink, and are staying with us. The house is packed with alcohol!
If I can get through the next 7 days, with the help and support of my wife....Then I can make it forever....Because nothing will be more challenging than spending the next week with a family of heavy drinkers and family HX of ETOH abuse.

I will be sneaking in here to the office throughout the days to check in here for support and motivation....will also be attending online AA meetings.

Thank you everyone....

Although I physically feel absolutely horrible and want to drink.....Mentally I know I achieved something amazing by reaching 7 days. First time in 20 years! I am beating the odds! And I already saved $140 by not drinking for 7 days
Before you know it 70 days, then 700 days... Merry Christmas
Old 12-24-2011, 03:51 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Day 10!

It is amazing the changes we go through without drinking. I am finding that I no longer am having constant headaches, bowels are back to normal, sleep is getting better, no more hot and cold flashes. Now it is just strong cravings and nothing else. Now it seems to be more mind over matter than before. Watching family and friends drinking constantly over these holidays....especially at my own home, is a challenge. Everyone laughing and joking while enjoying drinks! And me sitting on the chair pretending to be tired so they tell me to go to bed at 8:30 pm.

Well, who would have though I would have made it this far! I would have caved in 100% last evening if my wife had not been there and been so supportive.

It is because of my beautiful wife I can say I am Day 10, and not beginning day 1 again

Thank you everyone for the kind words of support. You are fantastic!

Be strong today everyone
Old 12-24-2011, 07:58 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Cervelo! You sure are going through some big time tests, aren't you? And you are doing so well. Very inspirational and motivating! Keep up the good work!
Old 12-24-2011, 08:34 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Like reading the "12 days of Christmas".
Old 12-24-2011, 01:08 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Cervelo...That is great! So glad to read your post. Jeff63 post made me laugh! Tomorrow is day 11. I am truly happy for your success. I too have an amazing wife. If you are like me that is an enormous source of strength. You are blessed man. Wishing you continued success!

Jim
Old 12-25-2011, 10:39 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Day 11

Merry Christmas everyone.
This is more than double as far as I have been with out alcohol in 20 years. It feels great to be alcohol free, but I miss my cold beer.
Family time was not too bad yesterday. We kept it short, and I was the DD. We were back home in 3 hours.
Woke up to a beautiful snow on the ground and a driveway to do...lol
I hope everyone has a great day
My appologies for not going into more depth, but it is a whirl-wind of a day.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:02 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
FT

Hi Cervelo,

I am coming in at the tail end of this, but I wanted to encourage you on. The more days you have sober behind you, the more strength you will gather in your resolve.

It is absolutely fabulous to wake up every morning knowing this is not another "day one" for you.

Merry Christmas to you. What a wonderful gift you are giving to yourself and your family.

FT
Old 12-25-2011, 11:15 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Re-Member