Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

How do you reply to-"Why aren't you drinking?" w/o saying you're an alcoholic?

Notices

How do you reply to-"Why aren't you drinking?" w/o saying you're an alcoholic?

Old 12-14-2011, 09:17 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

In my younger years I took an inordinate interest in whether other people were drinking. Looking back, I think it was a way to validate my own drinking.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:40 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I just tell the truth. I don't drink. If pursued I say that I decided it wasn't healthy so I decided to quit smoking and drinking, eat healthy and work out more.

Then I point out that I am drinking!
Old 12-14-2011, 10:19 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Lots of good suggestions.... I haven't been asked recently but feel comfortable enough now in my sobriety to say, "I said no because I'm in AA, I'm a recovered alcoholic, and I don't drink anymore."

.......what I have said (admittedly it was fun for me to say it too) is "I don't drink anymore...I did, professionally {smirk}, for a long time, but I don't anymore .....but even back then, I didn't drink with amateurs who couldn't knock a fifth down, on their own, in an evening." lol - a bit of a crappy answer but it worked perfectly on the dope who was trying soooo hard to push a drink on me.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:10 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Ethanol Intolerant

Wrestling with questions I have not been asked, falls into a category of thinking I really try to avoid now. 'What if' is form of ruminating that can take a lot of head space without any return. It takes me away from this moment.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:38 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I agree with many here. The only people who try to dig are alcoholics themselves. If they push, I tell them "I am an alcoholic and YOU can drink me under the table!" I've only used that one twice.

I worried about this a lot early in sobriety. Now, I just say, "I quit cigars and cigarettes too. Are you going to pressure me to smoke now, too?"
Old 12-15-2011, 06:32 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Pale Male...I like your smoking analogy. Some of the folks at the party were smoking too...and talking about quitting, there's no social problem talking about that...lol....

I've said this before, but I think where you live plays a part in these types of discussions. 50% of Americans may abstain, but not many of the live in NYC. It's a hard drinking town and if you don't you stand out. Asking personal questions isn't frowned on and so if you go out in NYC you are likely going to get asked. Going to a party reminded me of that scene. I dodged the question a lot by trying to always have a drink in hand but it did come up when I was making the punch.

Interestingly. The guy who helped me make the punch told me he didn't drink when we were making it, but every time I saw him for the rest of the party he had a drink in hand.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:58 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Well tonight is my first time since my 12/15/2011 quit date (been 100% clean) that I'll be faced with this question. I'm at a work meeting that centers around drinking after hours. Everyone drinks, period.

I'll just get a ginger ale with a lime and cross my fingers. I'm on antibuse so that's a strong deterrent. The pizza and beer night will be hard though as I was usually the one who reordered and reordered again.

I'll have to cook up something to get through these few nights...wish me luck. They are very close co-workers I've drank with all the time over the past 8 years. This is going to be hard news for them but a great test for me...
Old 01-17-2012, 03:03 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

My reply is simple. I tell them I'm living a healthier lifestyle and trying to tone up. Have you ever tried to drop some weight when drinking (not to excess even)? It doesn't happen. This is something that people know about me anyway. I ask if they would like to go on a jog with me the next morning.

I used to be really worried about people asking, but realized that the only one that really cared was ME. Even if people did care, I couldn't care less. It wouldn't affect me nearly as much as the negative impact of picking up another drink.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:13 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I've rarely been asked why I'm not drinking but when I am I just say "It's not good for me".

I can't help but think, when that happens, how freaking rude it is to ask that question. You could always answer the question with a question. Throw it back on them.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:49 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I can only recall a few people over the last 9 years who asked me why I don't drink. (In my mind) they were problem drinkers or full blown alcoholics themselves. Normies simply don't care.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:32 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
High on Life

I think it's kind of funny that we think we need to justify not putting a toxic substance in our body. Sounds kind of ridiculous if you ask me. Instead of trying to justify not drinking, why don't you have them justify why they are drinking.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:17 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

I usually just say "I don't drink" and that shuts most people up. If it doesn't I tell them I'm tired of waking up feeling like crap and that alcohol makes me act stupid, which is the truth.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:26 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I usually tell people that I can't drink because I'm allergic to alcohol ... when I drink, I break out in handcuffs.

Just say "No thank-you" and if they pursue it further I just smile.