Notices

D.U.I (the tv show)

Old 12-01-2011, 08:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

D.U.I (the tv show)

I'm laying in bed flipping through the TV channels and there is a show on TLC (the learning channel) called D.U.I...It is like cops & intervention but seems to just be focusing on the arrest and booking of those driving while intoxicated. It doesn't raise any triggers with me as it does not show them drinking, just all the negative things that are happening as a result of alcohol. Makes me very thankful to be sober and not in that situation anymore!!

Has anyone seen this?
Old 12-01-2011, 11:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I've seen it advertised and think if it were on while I was near the TV I'd watch it. I love those sort of reality shows to be honest lol I'm a bit trashy like that

I also can identify with what you mean - I know when I quit smoking those ads of the dad dying from emphasema or the mum with cancer always gave me a very deep feeling of thankfulness for having quit smoking. Alternatively, and stupidly enough, when I was a smoker and those ads came on they made me reach for a smoke! How twisted our brains are!
Old 12-03-2011, 08:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I'm not sure how I feel about a show like this. I use to watch Intervention a lot but started to feel that they were taking advantage of the alcoholic. I have had 3 Dui's and have to say that it has had a big negative impact on my life. I no longer play that "what if I hurt someone driving drunk" game anymore either. I did what I did and have moved on. I also feel that the laws are targeting social drinkers who are at the .08 BAC range. Strict laws and police enforcement will never stop DUI's because alcohol is a drug and changes the way a person thinks.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Interesting point of view Jf1... I guess it's so easy to forget that the people on TV are real people... like if one of the SR folk posted about getting a DUI I'd be very sorry to hear it, but then I'd consider it entertainment on a TV show watching a stranger have the same thing happen I'd be thinking "You deserve that!"... I know I've never felt clever for avoiding a DUI - it's been pure 100% luck, I've certainly driven enough while drunk or even in black out. I guess watching other people get what I deserved makes me feel in some way exonerated for the deeds I did. Even while sober my brain is a crazy place :S
Old 12-04-2011, 02:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I watched "DUI" for the first time the other night. It really gave me the creeps...since I relapsed almost four years ago (now sober almost 4 months) I would get a bottle of wine on the way home from work/on the weekends, then go back out and get another one after the first one was gone (that promise to stop there never worked). The second time I would have been DUI. I can remember how scared I used to be driving to get the second bottle. I would have lost my job, drivers license and money I didn't have, or possibly killed someone, which I never would have gotten over. I remember thinking that if I ever got caught DUI I would have to kill myself, and had resigned myself to that thought. How sick is that?
Old 12-04-2011, 03:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sounds like a hoot. I'd love to watch it.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've done the live and in person version. I don't feel the need to watch it on television.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CRAZE View Post
I've done the live and in person version. I don't feel the need to watch it on television.
Craze - I like the breaking bad avatar!!
Old 12-04-2011, 11:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
instant

I got stopped last night. I blew 0.0. it felt good.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sissy07 View Post
How sick is that?
I don't think I'll ever stop being surprised by how twisted alcohol can make an otherwise rational person's mind behave. Horrible stuff >(
Old 12-05-2011, 12:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

After a coffeeshop a sober friend and I watched a college kid get tasered 3 times because he was too drunk to stand while cuffed, and then hauled off for dui.

I don't think I'll watch the show. Watching people like me fracturing their lives would put me off my popcorn.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
I also feel that the laws are targeting social drinkers who are at the .08 BAC range.
Social drinkers? A 180-pound man drinking a six pack of beer in two hours will likely blow a .08 BAC. Is that social drinking?

I used to think so, when I drank like that. I don't think so now.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

[QUOTE=doggonecarl;3195245]Social drinkers? A 180-pound man drinking a six pack of beer in two hours will likely blow a .08 BAC. Is that social drinking?

I believe it takes only about 4 drinks to reach a .08 BAC. Did you know that the state of IL will revoke drivers license for life after 4 DUI's? Yet you see stories about people getting there 8th or 9th DUI. They continue to drive without a license, without insurance and without regard to public safety. These are the drunk drivers that are causing the majority of the accidents with BAC's of .20 and higher.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I've always thought if any State was serious about stopping DUI's, they would make interlock devices mandatory on _all_ vehicles. After all, you can't watch TV, the radio, etc and not hear about DUI enforcement from the government anymore. Obviously, there is some reason they aren't requiring interlocks on _all_ vehicles.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:16 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

sherman, yeah I thought the same thing about the breath machines. I also thought why not revoke someones license for life after the first DUI?? Why give someone 4 chances? It's about public safety but it's also about money. I think one has to go through the DUI process to get the other side of the story.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:03 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Won't be watching it....seen the previews..just another show exploiting addiction.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
sherman, yeah I thought the same thing about the breath machines. I also thought why not revoke someones license for life after the first DUI?? Why give someone 4 chances? It's about public safety but it's also about money. I think one has to go through the DUI process to get the other side of the story.
I agree, there is more too it. They could stop all DUI's and quit wasting so much time and money on it by going to the interlocks on all vehicles. I don't think they are worried about safety - I think they are worried about money.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:02 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I have a morbid fascination with shows about addiction. I'll be watching this one.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:09 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rws177 View Post
I'm laying in bed flipping through the TV channels and there is a show on TLC (the learning channel) called D.U.I...It is like cops & intervention but seems to just be focusing on the arrest and booking of those driving while intoxicated. It doesn't raise any triggers with me as it does not show them drinking, just all the negative things that are happening as a result of alcohol. Makes me very thankful to be sober and not in that situation anymore!!

Has anyone seen this?
I will have to look that show up!
Old 12-06-2011, 07:31 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I haven't seen the show. Hopefully, it'll keep some of the non-alkies who watch it off the roads when they've had a couple. I don't think it would have had ANY impact on me back when I was drinking though. Heck, getting DUI's myself had little to no impact on my drinking (I think I drank and drove even after the 3rd one...just didn't get caught).

Looking back though, those DUI's were great. Without them, I'm pretty certain I'd still be drinking but, worse than that, I'd have missed out on 4+ years of recovery. Sure, they were expensive (around $40k for #2 and #3) and they were punitive but that's what it took......so today.......I'm grateful as hell that I got them. That's what it took to get my attention.

......and personally, I think the allowable BAC level should be 0.00. Here in Michigan, that's basicallly what it is because a 0.02 is "impaired" and an impaired ticket hits just as hard as a 0.08 DUI. Just take all the guess work out of it, make it ZERO, and be done with it.