Notices

D.U.I (the tv show)

Old 12-09-2011, 08:07 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi, this is my first post, so sorry if I do anything wrong. Just learning. Anyway, I have seen the show a couple times, and last night as I was watching this young woman sobbing like it was the end of the world, I was reminded of how I used to be, and I thought, "this is an excellent reminder of what I do not have to do anymore unless I choose to." I can see how it could be considered exploitative, but hopefully people will choose to identify rather than compare.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:55 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Wil

Thinking back to when I got my DWI...I was in the lawyer's office and they got my tape from that night and he popped it in the VCR for us to watch. I remember asking him if I had to watch it. I didn't want to relive that night for anything. I put my head down at the table for the entire time as he watched it because I couldn't bare to see myself going through it all. I still had to listen to it and that made me sick enough.

Would I watch that show? Heck no! I'm not a big fan of the law to begin with and watching a show exploit people's mistakes...not a recipe that equals entertainment in my book.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:14 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Last nights episode was one of the most sobering things I have seen in a long time on TV. The girl had 3yrs sober and relapsed. She was hyperventalting and my heart broke for her as she was exposing how she had three years clean prior to that night.

Exploitation or not she signed the release forms and therefore helped my sobriety.

My mom has been in the hospital for days. I was there all day and my thoughts were stiring...Seeing this young lady in that situation helped me to be grateful that I'm sober and able to be there for my family and friends.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:27 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sissy07 View Post
I watched "DUI" for the first time the other night. It really gave me the creeps...since I relapsed almost four years ago (now sober almost 4 months) I would get a bottle of wine on the way home from work/on the weekends, then go back out and get another one after the first one was gone (that promise to stop there never worked). The second time I would have been DUI. I can remember how scared I used to be driving to get the second bottle. I would have lost my job, drivers license and money I didn't have, or possibly killed someone, which I never would have gotten over. I remember thinking that if I ever got caught DUI I would have to kill myself, and had resigned myself to that thought. How sick is that?
Me too, I'd buy just enough to get a nice warm buzz on, and then go back for more. Sometimes if I drank the first bottle quickly enough I'd be in a blackout when I went out for the second bottle. Thinking back, it horrifies me.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:19 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I forced myself to watch the show, because, although I've never had a DUI, I've wrecked at least a dozen vehicles driving drunk, and but for the grace of God would be in the same boat as the people on the show.

I felt sorry for them, and was angry at the way our brothers and sisters are humiliated by the authorities, often gratuitously and with an obvious relish.

The takeaway for me is simple: when we drink, we deliver ourselves up to our enemies.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:55 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

^ I think they do a good job humiliating themselves, and personally I don't consider I have some bond with strangers that drive drunk / impaired. There will always be those that blame the people that enforce the laws rather than those that violate it.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:50 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ghostly View Post
^ I think they do a good job humiliating themselves, and personally I don't consider I have some bond with strangers that drive drunk / impaired. There will always be those that blame the people that enforce the laws rather than those that violate it.

There are people who harm themselves, and inadvertently through that action harm others: addicts. And then there are those people who, sober and clear-headed, choose to and take pleasure in harming others: this includes some, but by no means all, cops, and some, but again by no means all, criminals.

I feel a bond with the former, and despise the latter.