Notices

Any suggestions on slipping almost daily?

Old 09-29-2011, 10:18 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Well Linz, your here at SR and that, if used fully, can as it did help me and others here bring about a new attitude regarding alcohol.

Social support can make all the difference in achieving an alcohol free lifestyle.

There is no one recovery method that is appropriate for everyone, despite what the indoctrinated of a single method say. Many say what they only know what to say. They are not at fault. They simply repeat the 'same ole same ole' that was told to them from the 'same ole same ole'.

Its okay to break from the 'same ole' crowd and have a new dramatic life renewing, life giving, fresh pleasurable direction outside of the old stuffy way to recovery.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:22 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ANGELINA243 View Post
Is there any way that you can get to a meeting today? Reading the book may help some, but when we are by ourselves--that is when the disease tries to talk to us the most. (At least, that was my experience.) It is hard to try to do it alone--fighting the urges to drink. Keep posting. You are not alone.

i was sooooooooooo on the verge yesterday so I went to 3 meetings. by the time i left the 2nd meeting i was experiencing a completely different day. I even said hi to a newcomer with 24 hrs sobriety and gave her my number. she wanted to talk and lo and behold I had some experience/strength/hope (and a suggestion) for her (i could related to her story) and she was so grateful - and so am i.

As much as i was able to reach for the tools yesterday, the reality is that it was going to a meeting(s) which played a key role in staying sober yesterday, and waking up sober today.

believe me, i never thought i'd be an "AA person" but here I am, because I want to live, and my life had become unmanageable. And who am i kidding, it's been unmanageable since i was a teenager.

everything you are reading in these replies is honest and real: you aren't alone (see my thread from yesterday titled "isolating") and yesterday the one thing that helped me the most was getting out of my head, getting only the bare minimum done for work (school in your case) and putting recovery in front of all other tasks until eventually i was able to crawl into my bed sober, and feeling.....different.

I hope this isn't coming off as a lecture. The intent is to tell you how i did it yesterday. I was pretty close! but i didn't pick up or use. :day6
Old 09-30-2011, 06:42 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
So I guess my question is, Do you really want to quit? Forever? Until I could accept--as fact--that I wasn't a normal drinker, would never be a normal drinker, then I couldn't really believe that never drinking meant forever.

I hope you find the recovery method that works for you. None are easy. All start with not picking up a drink. Ever!
If I don't do this one day at a time i will surely pick up.

I'm working program, 43 days sober by taking it one day at a time and not thinking about forever.

when i think about quitting forever, i get lost in my head.

My experience so far is that taking sobriety one day at a time is part of the newness - my disease wants to dwell on "forever"

some advice i got in a meeting yesterday when i expressed i really really really wanted to drink/use was "It's ok, you can drink tomorrow. Just don't pick up today"

this advice lifted me up and this morning i'm so happy to be sober and i feel different.

one day at a time is saving my life.

Yesterday i was a one-hour-at-a-time kind of gal. and in conjunction with meetings, sponsor and new tools - it worked!

Regarding rehab: to refer back to my "three meeting day" plan from yesterday, i'm not sure it gets more similar to rehab (three meetings is a busy day!) combine that with fellowship, speaker tapes, phone calls to other AAs and SR and it's really similar to rehab, but i'm living at home.

One day at a time....and now off to a 7am meeting (home group)

I believe you can do it!

Old 09-30-2011, 08:47 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Try changing your way of thinking...like what can I do BESIDES drinking today....it's a big world out there with sooo many wonderful things to do and to try!! even if it's just going for a walk...you would be surprised at what you "see" with your eyes wide open!
Old 09-30-2011, 09:34 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I don't fail out of college because I punish myself, (in a sense) if I even get below an A. I'm so obsessed with staying at a 4.0 that it makes my life a living hell. So does the booze.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:44 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Interesting. I was diagnosed with ADD in college and for a few years abused the ADD meds...it interfered with my sleep and so I skipped too many classes and got bad grades...didn't flunk out, but came pretty close. I ended up transferring, trying to finish now.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:25 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
In my Own Little World

I finished in 4 1/2 years two degrees (not 2 majors) with a 3.6 GPA, one of which was a B.S. in Chemistry so neither were a joke! You push yourself till you kill yourself and when little you do have left, the booze takes over.

I know linz, I was there back from 2002-2006.

I really hope you get the clarity you need and really try and stop this sooner rather than later.