Notices

2 weeks

Old 09-16-2011, 03:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2 weeks

Probably posted this before but I wanted to thank everyone who posts here. Its been a wild ride for me but I'd finally come to the conclusion that I needed to quit.

Been two weeks now and although I have trouble sleeping and I'm finding myself going through strange mixes of emotions and sensations, I haven't felt this good in a long time!

Most importantly I've found that many addicts, no matter what their DOC, have issues with boundaries, finding out who their true selves really are, taking care of themselves, keeping others from taking advantage of them; in other words, putting themselves first in a healthy way that involves others and being good towards others who are healthy also.

All the sober information including gratitude, as well as the Alanon stuff has been vital to me. Heck, the alanon stuff (boundaries and keeping others from bashing through your comfort zone), was probably my biggest problem.

When I feel a situation isn't going right for me, I now know when to walk away and be grumpy and sigh about it, and when to stand up and take the wheel back. Also been eating healthier, taking 5htp twice a day and exercising once in awhile.

Thank you all for being, living, posting, and helping others. I speak for myself but I'm sure many other lurkers too.

I'm nowhere near out of the woods, but I know to take it one day at a time.

I'm extremely grateful. Big hugs to all who contribute, you helped a lost soul start to find his strength again.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations to you! You've come a long way. Sounds like you're on the right track to sobriety.

Keep doing what you're doing, it only gets better.
Thanks for your post, and best to you.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Congratulations on your 2 weeks, keepstrong! Thanks for sharing some of your insights.

I feel deeply grateful for this site, too.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Great job!
Old 09-16-2011, 10:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by keepstrong View Post
Most importantly I've found that many addicts, no matter what their DOC, have issues with boundaries, finding out who their true selves really are, taking care of themselves, keeping others from taking advantage of them; in other words, putting themselves first in a healthy way that involves others and being good towards others who are healthy also.
Hi keepstrong,

Well done on your two weeks and thanks for your post!

What you write here is very interesting: this is exactly my problem and I hadn't linked it to addiction before.

Best of luck to you moving forward!

BB
Old 09-16-2011, 10:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on the 2 weeks! thats superb!
Old 09-16-2011, 10:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats!!
Old 09-17-2011, 02:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Thanks for shareing your progress with us.....
Old 09-17-2011, 09:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you for the kind words guys!

Beebeezy, it took me a very long time to figure that one out. A really kind woman helped me figure that out and she recommended a book called "Healing the Shame That Binds You".

I basically had to remove all the toxic people and energy from my life and then I was able to take proper inventory of my current situation and how my past kept repeating itself in a negative way. None of it was easy, a lot was truly painful to confront actually, but I made it through that.

I feel like Nandm's sig couldn't be more true "Depression isn't a sign of weakness. Its a sign of being strong for too long."

For me, I've found it necessary to remove negative clutter in whatever way possible!