Notices

Recent minor relapse (and a question)

Old 09-12-2011, 01:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recent minor relapse (and a question)

After 131 days of sobriety, I relapsed last Thursday (Sept 8, 2011). I ended up drinking Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and yesterday. Each day I only had 3 shots of vodka and 1 beer during dinner time and I also drank a ton of water with the alcohol. This is in stark contrast with how I used to do it (3 shots, 2 beers, and 320 milliliters of red wine on a nearly empty stomach with no extra hydration)....what I'm wondering is....am I in danger of withdrawal if I stop tonight? I had a bad withdrawal the last time I stopped (albeit, it was twice the amount of alcohol and I drank every day for nearly 3 months). The thought of another one is giving me some anxiety. I want to know if there is any solid information about how long it takes to rebuild a physical dependence that would lead to withdrawal on cessation.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Ask a doctor.

Of course you drank less. You controlled your drinking, this time. It's easier to stay stopped. Now you need to be more vigilant of another relapse. I wouldn't qualify it as "minor" since a relapse is a relapse. I'd watch for a major relapse now...

Prayers sent
Old 09-12-2011, 01:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm only labeling it "minor" because I have no desire to drink tonight. In the past when I relapsed, I was totally gung ho about getting my buzz on later that day. Now, I feel very cautious and vigilant. I chalk that up to the fact that I was sober for 131 days (the longest I've ever been sober since my first intoxication experience at age 14). It gave me some added discipline, even though i slipped on thursday.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well, I can't give you medical advice. But I can tell you from experience that while your present 4 day slip was "minor" in your words, you've paved the way for a bigger slip in a few weeks.

A few weeks from now you may get the desire to drink, and look back and say "well, last time it wasn't too bad, maybe I can drink in moderation." Many of us have done that and quickly reverted to old habits.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm not asking for medical advice. I can't see a doctor if I wanted to. I'm broke and I don't have insurance. I just want to know about how long it takes to rebuild a physical dependence to alcohol, enough to cause withdrawal if alcohol is stopped cold turkey.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Alcoholic42911

I think what you're asking is determinant on many individual factors - thats why it's best to see a Dr. if you're concerned about your health or if you want medical advice.

Many cities have free clinics, or walk in facilities as a flat rate - I'd google your hometown and 'free clinics'

D
Old 09-12-2011, 03:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Shape-Shifting Super-Hero

I'm no Dr., but I had times I drank that much, and no real physical withdrawal, but everyone is different. Best to just stop again, and keep going from there. I know what you mean about not having insurance...it puts you in a whole other world, in terms of the care you can access, here in the USA, at least. Good luck, be safe and be careful,

H. Pup
Old 09-12-2011, 05:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Gone In

I don't think anyone knows because it's unethical to give alcoholics alcohol after varying periods of sobriety to study the effects of the exposure.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

That really can't be answered under the UA but I'd just say to closely monitor how you feel and don't be afraid to seek medical attention if you get worried about yourself.

Glad to hear you're quitting again!
Old 09-12-2011, 06:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I recently went on a 3 day bender after nearly 9months of real sobriety. I did have some withdrawals but it wasnt the usual stuff. I went to ER & they gave me my usual detox "to go" kit of Librium and vitamins. Drink gatorade and lots of water they do seem to help.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Here's some info.
Alcohol withdrawal: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia
Old 09-13-2011, 04:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm good. At the 24-hour mark, I felt confident with little-to-no cravings. I'm currently at the 36-mark (this is usually the time when the massive panic attacks come) and I feel fine. My heart rate is the upper 60's/lower 70's and I'm optimistic. I also got a good night's sleep last night (The first sign of any sort of withdrawal for me is sleep disturbance).

I'm guessing that withdrawal only comes for me if i binge repeatedly day after day (this is what i used to do and i fear i'll return to doing this). 4 drinks at dinner time is not binging, not for me anyway. My idea of binging is when the number of drinks approach double digits. My current plan is to avoid alcohol today, as well. That's my new goal. If I can get through today then I'll worry about tomorrow when tomorrow comes.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I like to call it like I see it. You wanted to drink and you did. minor/major relapse, slip, etc... are all just ways of not accepting accountibility. The best way to deal with withdraws is not to drink in the first place. Wow there is an idea... Just sayin..
Old 09-13-2011, 05:33 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stugotz View Post
I like to call it like I see it. You wanted to drink and you did. minor/major relapse, slip, etc... are all just ways of not accepting accountibility. The best way to deal with withdraws is not to drink in the first place. Wow there is an idea... Just sayin..
Uhh...yeah....I drank because I wanted to and now I don't want to, which is why I came here instead of drowning myself in more drink.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:35 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Even "One" drink for me would be "MAJOR" because whether it took one week, two weeks, three weeks, or more........the eventuality would be the same. I always found it easier to justify a huge binge if I had slipped up a little and ruined my sobriety......saying to myself "hell, I already ruined my sobriety anyway. !!!
Old 09-13-2011, 05:54 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Alcoholic42911 View Post
Uhh...yeah....I drank because I wanted to and now I don't want to, which is why I came here instead of drowning myself in more drink.
Obviously, but we are not victims. We choose to put ourselves in this position. The only problem we have is lookin at us in the mirror. Good luck and God bless.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:14 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Relapse and Health

It should be no suprise to you that you are playing with a loaded gun when you drink. You don't need a doctor or a medical professional to tell you that any amount of alcohol has serious damaging effects on the body. It is also well known that of all the substances of abuse alcohol is the only one that can kill from withdrawl "that's why we have detox centers". If you are really concerned about withdrawl go to DETOX or find a free clinic or at the very least go to a doctor and explain your situation and concern. I am fully assured they are not going to throw you out on the curb. Quit using excusses to justify your drinking no matter what the amount of whatever!

As for relapse or slip there really is no such thing. Those are terms that are used to surgar coat any substance abusers use after any period of abstinece. We are either in recovery or we aren't and we are playing with a loaded gun. I've been on the recovery-relapse roller coaster long enough to know the truth. Generaly speaking the relapse was planned from the begining it was just a matter of when!

As for the tolerence issue are you lame it took three shots of vodka and a beer and you still weren't done! What's it going to take for you to realize that you suffere from the disease of addiction and it will kill you given the chance.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:04 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Again...I don't see where I'm making excuses. I've openly admitted that I gave into my weakness. I'm now feeling motivated to make sure that I check myself before that happens again. I accept full responsiblity for everything I've done, everything I'm doing and everything I'll do.

A little clarification on why I labeled it "minor"....I'm not trying to downplay what happened at all....in the past when I've relapsed, I relapse hard from the get-go. Not so much in quantity of alcohol but in my attitude---I don't care for the consequences at all (and certainly without even considering getting help). This time, on Sunday after I was done drinking, I just had a moment of clarity where I knew I had to stop or I would be on a runaway train on the track to my old, miserable life. That's why I came here yesterday. I want to stop this before it spirals out of control. I was able to manage myself quite well over the weekend (never got too tipsy, didnt have extra cravings) but I know that kind of moderation can't last. It's happened too many times in the past.....I can moderate myself for a little bit and then the intake is gradually upped until I'm not even drinking for fun anymore...I'm drinking because I feel like I should be drinking. I'll go back to the frig for another beer and not even know why anymore.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:48 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I've found that many times people comment more about whats going on with them than suggesting what to do about whats going on with me.

Stay the course, don't drink no matter what. Be most concerned with what you already know what you need to do. Remember most people mean well but not everybody knows what you need to do...me included.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:03 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Glad you posted and are quitting. Hope to hear more about your progress!