Notices

Benefit of Sobriety #2

Old 08-30-2011, 07:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Benefit of Sobriety #2

I have been sober for about 3 weeks now. A couple of days ago my mother looked at me and said that I had lost weight. I just brushed it off because there have been times when she said that and I'd check and was still the same weight. Anyway I stood on the scale today and I've lost about 7 or 8lbs! The only thing I've changed in my life is no alcohol.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nice job! ... Very nice!

If I may add my own ... In a year and a bit, I have lost about 75 lbs .. some due to not eating while drinking myself to near death, but the good part of it (and of keeping it off) is due to eating properly and liver-friendly after becoming sober.

And... In one year, have not spent $10,000 (yes you read that number correctly) on vodka and mix. (Not sure where I found that $$$ to drink .. but it gets found when it's "needed" I guess.)

Sobriety totally ROCKS !!
Old 08-30-2011, 07:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I too found benefits in sobreity....

In AA recovery I've found purpose..serenity and joy....
Old 08-30-2011, 08:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

I've gained 10 pounds due to eating more sugar and grains. Also, I've been treated to eating out often with great restaurant food and fabulous and decadent desserts!
Old 08-30-2011, 09:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Nice one, LifeBlows!!! Still waiting for that to happen... Day 11.

BB
Old 08-30-2011, 07:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If you think about it, many of us were consuming 1000-2000 empty, worthless calories every day (100-200 calories per beer; 1700 calories in a 750ml bottle of vodka). We also retained water, and had electrolyte imbalance, thus the puffy eyes and face. I am only on day 4, and two people today asked me the same thing!! There are many good reasons for sobriety, and you've illustrated yet another one...feeling and looking healthy again.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I went from 215 to 195. Granted I work out now but still. I lost my fat belly I had.

The best part about being sober is I am in control of my actions. When I was drunk somebody else was at the wheel not me and it got pretty damn annoying.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've noticed the same thing, LifeBlows. I've lost over 10 pounds since quitting back in April. It's noticeable to lots of people, mainly because it's gone from my tummy area and I've lost that muffin top that hung over my jeans. I'm now 140 which is perfect for my height (5'8 female), and I feel

GREAT!!!!

The only thing I've done is quit the drinking. I'm eating healthier now, but that's only been in the last couple of weeks, and I'm eating probably more than I used to, just better food. Sobriety is good, isn't it??!!!
Old 08-31-2011, 09:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations!!! Of course when I was drinking it was irrelevant how many calories were in booze. But if it did, no problem, I just won't eat!
Old 08-31-2011, 09:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I was much thinner when I was drinking super heavily (age 21 ish, I'm 26 now). I guess age does it to us. I can't lose any weight to save my life and I've been sober almost 30 days.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
I've gained 10 pounds due to eating more sugar and grains. Also, I've been treated to eating out often with great restaurant food and fabulous and decadent desserts!
This. I've developed a major sweet tooth since I've quit.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LifeBlows View Post
I have been sober for about 3 weeks now. A couple of days ago my mother looked at me and said that I had lost weight. I just brushed it off because there have been times when she said that and I'd check and was still the same weight. Anyway I stood on the scale today and I've lost about 7 or 8lbs! The only thing I've changed in my life is no alcohol.
I was wondering if I could read more about the mental benefits and duration of bringing myself back to normal? I am not sure if that is even possible.

Cutting my weekday drinking, I have found myself to have lost weight, but I still suffer from weekends and am wondering if I am going through any PAW symptoms..
Old 08-31-2011, 04:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

3times1minus1 - I also developed a major sweet tooth since quitting ... I eat very healthfully now (healthily? healthyish?) for the most part, but d@mn that sweet tooth ..
Old 08-31-2011, 06:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
~sb

I didn't eat much sugar, only drank it. All will even out, especially when I start working again. I'm enjoying life today!

I did turn sweets down tonight...
Old 08-31-2011, 07:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Glad you're seeing some changes already, LifeBlows. As Carol noted, physical benefits are only the beginning.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Froglet View Post
I was wondering if I could read more about the mental benefits and duration of bringing myself back to normal? I am not sure if that is even possible.

Cutting my weekday drinking, I have found myself to have lost weight, but I still suffer from weekends and am wondering if I am going through any PAW symptoms..
Hi Froglet,

I'm wondering the same. I believe it is a matter of months, rather than weeks or days.

I'm only 13 days in, but I have noticed that I have more energy (helped, I think, by a better diet), sleep better and have a clearer head now that the valium is wearing off somewhat.

Me and my doctor are caught in the chicken & egg of depression/alcohol (which is causing which etc) though. I feel OK superficially, but somewhat low in my core, if you see what I mean.

Also still some anxiety and worry. But less than the first week, for sure. A lot of this centred around getting used to my new life, and despair at how I had lived before. (Potential) health worries as well.

When you say you have cut your weekday drinking (well done!) does this mean you are still drinking at the weekends? If so, I am wondering if this might impede your mental improvement...? Idk.

If you do come across any good reading on the topic please let me know!

Thanks a lot and good luck,
BB
Old 08-31-2011, 11:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by switchboard View Post
3times1minus1 - I also developed a major sweet tooth since quitting ... I eat very healthfully now (healthily? healthyish?) for the most part, but d@mn that sweet tooth ..
Switch,

I thought I'd be the same, and stocked up on dark chocolate (mmmmm love it) and ice cream (mmmmyuuuuummmm). I've had only 3 mini-magnums (the ice cream LOL) in 13 days. None of the chocolate.

I add a little bit of sugar to my herbal tea after dinner, as a kind of 'dessert'.

I'm also eating a lot of fruit so maybe that helps with sugar cravings, I dunno.

Nice one on the healthy eating - am trying to do the same. Lost my appetite a bit though these days.

G'luck,
BB
Old 09-01-2011, 05:47 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I've noticed an improvement in mental clarity although based on my last bout with sobriety the mental improvement continues for months afterwards. After rooting around on the internet I believe it takes about 2 years of continuous sobriety for your brain to recover completely from the damage done by addiction.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:05 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Beebizzy View Post
Hi Froglet,

I'm wondering the same. I believe it is a matter of months, rather than weeks or days.

I'm only 13 days in, but I have noticed that I have more energy (helped, I think, by a better diet), sleep better and have a clearer head now that the valium is wearing off somewhat.

Me and my doctor are caught in the chicken & egg of depression/alcohol (which is causing which etc) though. I feel OK superficially, but somewhat low in my core, if you see what I mean.

Also still some anxiety and worry. But less than the first week, for sure. A lot of this centred around getting used to my new life, and despair at how I had lived before. (Potential) health worries as well.

When you say you have cut your weekday drinking (well done!) does this mean you are still drinking at the weekends? If so, I am wondering if this might impede your mental improvement...? Idk.

If you do come across any good reading on the topic please let me know!

Thanks a lot and good luck,
BB
I have googled and a lot of positives point to the body healing itself, but it takes time. Time as in a few months to a year of pure sobriety amongst other things.

I want to read something more current or concrete that by being sober it will help improve my work mentality and anxiety at work. I suffer from lots of stress at work.

Thank you & Everyone.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:50 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks. Right. This echoes what I've read too.

Mentally, I'd like to know that too - but I reckon that being sober can only help, right?

And, like LifeBlows said, my doctor also said 1-2 years for the brain to fully recover.

BB