Notices

Being lone

Old 09-02-2011, 08:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Being lone

I'm just not a few days sene dealing with a 2 week relapse drinking a couple fifth a day as I'm sure some of you will remember.

Well...I made the choice to stay alone this holiday weekend and let my family go up north on holiday without me. I just did not want to deal with the labor day traffic was all.

So they left about 8 hours ago, and I'm all alone today and for the next 3 days.

Currenty I am sober, and plan to stay that way, but I already find myself tonight felling alone and having some thoughts.

I've been to 3 meeting this week and would go to one now, but without a license I'm kin of stuck a home, so SR is my only means of reaching out right now for the next few days.

So although I'm okay at the moment, I'm just asking for some help right now to keep me on the right track for tonight and the next few days.

Not really sure what I am asking for here, but I'm a bit alone right now and could use a but of help/advice to stay sober/healthy as I am right now. So when you are all alone, what do you guys do to help keep you on the right path?

Steve
Old 09-02-2011, 08:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I facebook, email, play with my new tablet, ebay, get out of the house to get out of my head, call a friend, listen to music, watch a movie, read SR and post, eat, try to improve, have a coffee, smoke cigarrettes, shop online, go to the shops, drive (i saw you can't). That's what I do not sure if that helps you but the best I can do. I read your last post about going on a bender and drinking 2 bottles of vodca a day do anything, everything that can stop you from picking up that first drink.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Downloading aa speakers now! Do a search!
Old 09-02-2011, 09:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know the fear - but you know what's right Steve. I really think you'll be ok

Support does help tho - I always found something good to read or someone to post to here @ SR in the early days Steve

D
Old 09-02-2011, 09:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I recently relapsed as well and remember reading your posts. Cant offer any advise just wanted to tell you that when I'm alone I get triggered as well. Hardly ever when I'm with groups of sober friends. Can you ride a bike to a meeting?
Old 09-02-2011, 10:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have no advice but I'm sending healthy/sober thoughts your way!
Old 09-02-2011, 10:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's easier for me to stay on the right path when I remember where the other path leads. I try to look beyond the romantic image of that first drink, and see all the pain, self-loathing, anger, terror, and despair that awaits me farther up the road.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I guess it's just that right now, I'm at the point of feeling bad because I'm trying to find the strength to get back on the right path again,and being alone just makes my mind work against me.

I'm okay right now though. Thanks for the help I do appreciate it.

Steve
Old 09-02-2011, 10:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi DayWalker, reaching out as you have is a very good sign that you'll stay sober. I'm not a big fan of holiday traffic either. I signed up for the Netflix Instant Watch thing a few months ago and it really helps pass the time while being alone. Regular TV doesn't offer much and I was wearing out my remote channel surfing.

It sounds like you drank the way I did. That didn't leave time for anything else in my case. Some of the Alano Clubs have marathon meetings during the holidays. When I was new I used to hang out there during the evenings. Do you have a sober friend who could take you to a meeting?
Old 09-03-2011, 12:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Do you have a sober friend who could take you to a meeting?
No.. right now I don't since I just started back to meetings.

Stee
Old 09-03-2011, 02:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well it's 5am here and I'm about to turn in. But I think I managed the night alone the best way possible, I spent the last couple hours in my easy chair re-reading about 84 pages from "Beyond The influence". Helped me to stay sober and keep my head right for tonight at least.

I Appreciate those that offered encouragement and words of wisdom to my post tonight. I'll reply back tomorrow night how the next day goes for me.

Steve
Old 09-03-2011, 03:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Check in earlier than that if you think you need it Steve.
Sleep well mate

D
Old 09-04-2011, 08:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Meetings, diners, movies, meetings. Did I mention meetings?
Old 09-04-2011, 09:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Day... I know how you feel. I've had 5 years so far with no license and it's a helluva tough deal.

I'd hit meetings and hear "it's a WE program" and I'd want to puke. There sure was no "we" in the majority of the hours I was awake each day, that's for sure.

Anyway, I didn't find SR until I had just about or just over 3 years so this wasn't an option I knew about. What I did find though was that "stick with the winners" made a lot of sense to me. If I wanted to be well, like some of the ppl I really respected in recovery, it would probably be in my best interest to find out what they did and try to do it myself. In my "searching" I stumbled across an AA open-talk podcase: http://www.aaspeakers.org/ I didn't like EVERY talk but most of them are fabulous. Hell, it was a meeting on my iPod....and I didn't need to finagle a ride to a meeting to hear it.

One other thing I did........and I frickin' hated it but it turned out to be VERY important to my sobriety in the long run...... when they'd ask if there are any announcements at the beginning of a meeting, I'd raise my hand, stand up, say my name and tell everyone that I don't have a license and need rides to meetings so please see me afterwards if you can take me to some meetings. I was kinda hurt that so FEW ppl, if anyone, ever came up to me. The good thing is that you get to see, first hand, who's really trying to incorporate the program into their life (ie, who's putting the program into action) and who's just hanging at meetings to drink some coffee, tell some goof-ball story, and "just not drink one one more frickin' day at a time."
Old 09-05-2011, 03:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Can you grab a cab to a meeting?

Is there some project in the house that you would enjoy doing without family interference - paint a bathroom, put up some shelves, clean the basement etc.?

And it is great to know about those meeting podcasts so thanks, DayTrader!