Notices

Benefit of Sobriety #2

Old 09-04-2011, 04:21 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Reading rec

Froglet, BeeBizzy, and all:

About reading something that explains a lot about recovery's physical and mental side, this morning on another thread I read Carol's recommendation of

Under the Influence: A Guide to the Myths and Realities of Alcoholism
By: Katherine Ketcham, James Robert Milam

I got it on the Kindle and have been reading it pretty much non-stop all day. I can highly, highly recommend it. 3 things to mention here:

1. Yes, being sober will help a great deal with a person's capacity to deal with stress at work, general anxiety, and many other issues - not overnight but almost, and steadily improving with each day.

2. Good nutrition and vitamins are more important than I ever thought, and for reasons that are explained in detail (specific types of cell damage that can be repaired if you eat right). BUT

3. Sweets are a no-no. (You can hardly imagine how my heart sank to read this, and I immediately ate a piece of chocolate cake...) Alcoholics are hypoglycemic, and should avoid sugars and caffeine - which cause fast rises and falls in blood sugar and these can cause cravings. Shoot me now.

But seriously it's an excellent book, explaining everything that has been happening in one's liver and how to help that poor liver get repaired!
Old 09-04-2011, 05:18 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Shape-Shifting Super-Hero

One big benefit: Weight loss. I have found I do not crave sweets, and have drank mainly water, or diet sodas and such. And coffee, yes, that has increased some. But no crazy eating binges, and lots more walking. I think I have dropped from 145 pounds to 140 in a month; I am a pretty small guy, to begin with. Ideally, I would like to be at 130.