Notices

alcoholic outcast?

Old 08-04-2011, 05:10 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by doublecheck View Post
...Why is it so acceptable?
I have some good news for you. The police, the courts and the parole officers are working real hard to change this. My guess is, in another ten years there will be satellites aimed at DUI drivers.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:33 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

A bad day sober...is better than ANY day drunk!!! don't be hard on yourself..stay focused and remember the bonuses of being sober!!!
Old 08-05-2011, 05:13 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I just wanted thank everybody for taking the time out and responding. I am utterly impressed by this website and the people that post on here. I have gotten better feedback on this website from pure strangers then any of my friends which are simply amazing.

I have realized that many of my friends I have are so self absorbed that it is nearly impossible to talk to them about anything other than themselves.

I don't go to AA or haven't read any books about recovery; I just use this website which has been working well.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:40 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

About 1/3 of the US population does not drink. That alone should indicate the prevalence of alcohol usage and why it's acceptable to be drunk in this country. It's also legal, cheap, and easy to procure.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:35 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Personally, I've never needed other people to drink with me in order for me to drink, and I don't need other people to be sober with me in order to be sober. As far as dropping friends, I've never had to do that either. Those that were only interested in me for drinking seemed to move along on their own, without me having to do anything at all besides not drink anymore.

If anyone is actually dumb enough to ask me why I don't drink, though, or to ask if I am "an alcoholic" when I tell them that I don't drink, I have the perfect response for them. I tell them "I don't drink because it is wrong for me to drink." Few drinkers will dare press the issue further, because most will be terrified at the prospect of someone suggesting that it might be wrong for them to drink.

They will instinctively recoil from the slightest possibility of moral judgment as if from a hot flame and ask no further questions...
Old 08-05-2011, 08:27 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I had some ask me if I was an alcoholic when I said I didn't drink. I was at a bar after a play. The guy who asked me was wasted and proceeded to get more wasted. So I understand your frustration.

I mostly find people who are drinking tedious and smelly these days.