Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

I'm So Scared, What If I Will Never Be Able To Stop?

Notices

I'm So Scared, What If I Will Never Be Able To Stop?

Old 07-29-2011, 08:16 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
High on Life

Not drinking forever is pretty hard to imagine. Whenever I start thinking forever, I get overwhelmed and just want to throw in the towel. That's why I don't think like that, I think I'm not drinking right now, this second, today. I keep it in the present as much as I can.

Things had to get real bad for me to want to quit. When things get bad enough for you, then you will di whatever it takes to not pick up that drink
Old 07-29-2011, 08:39 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SSIL75 View Post
I didn't realize until I quit that that feeling was CAUSED by alcohol. It's like banging your head against a brick wall and then bitching about a headache.

I can totally relate. I think we all can. But you think that way BECAUSE YOU DRINK. If you quit drinking and work on new ways to live then you won't feel that way anymore.
extremely well put.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:42 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
~sb

Try listening to some speakers online...search AA speakers. You may be inspired to get to a meeting and ask for a temporary sponsor and work the steps.

Sounds like your disease is running your life right now.

My disease wanted me dead.

Best wishes!
Old 07-29-2011, 09:10 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Instead of asking the question posed in the title of this thread, ask yourself another question.

What would happen if you did stop?

-SD
Old 07-29-2011, 11:33 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
High on Life

Originally Posted by SDSurfn View Post
Instead of asking the question posed in the title of this thread, ask yourself another question.

What would happen if you did stop?

-SD
Good question.. Here is a twist.....

What would happen if you didn't stop??
Old 07-29-2011, 11:43 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

The key for me is to avoid that first drink. Just try to do that and the rest will follow. Whether that means trying to find new people to socialize with or looking for some new hobbies that don't involve intoxication.....just do all you can to remove yourself from the lifestyle that you're currently leading. Most of all, KEEP IT SIMPLE. Avoid that first drink.

Oh...one more thing...you should see a doctor before you quit because detox is not fun and it can be extremely dangerous (depending on how heavy your drinking is and how long you've been drinking). There's no shame in getting medical help. When I finally got sober, I went through withdrawal and the people who took care of me were awesome. One of my nurses was a recovering alcoholic who gave me advice and helped put me at ease.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:56 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Sounds like you have a drinking problem.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:09 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

that's the cool thing about AA. When I first walked into a meeting I saw a bumper sticker in the parking lot that said "one day at a time" and I knew and was releived to find that I only had to worry about today. just think, what a reief that all any of us have is today...stay in today, worry about not picking up just for today...or just for one hour if that is what it takes. AA works, it worked for me. 25 years now....m