Here we go again...

Old 07-10-2011, 04:20 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Welcome to an other Dutchy!
Old 07-10-2011, 05:40 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Dutch cheese

I love Dutch cheese, hmm.

As my Dutch-Canadian friend says, if you're not Dutch, you're not much!

And those windmills - so cute!

Wish I had money to travel this summer, I'd get to the Netherlands, Belgium, France, and Norway. Sigh.

Kelly
Old 07-11-2011, 01:30 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ZZworldontheweb View Post
Oh, yeah, they say that the drive to consume an addictive substance can grow to be just as strong as the drive for food or water. You literally feel like you're going to die if you don't get it. And the weird thing is, knowing intellectually that you you don't need the stuff to live doesn't lessen the drive. These substances (especially booze) are specifically engineered to mess with our brains and our logic centers.

People say "you hit bottom when you quit digging". The progression only goes one way. We all wanted to find some system or plateau where we could consume a certain amount, no more, and get the feeling we wanted without the bad effects. But your tolerance continues to grow, so that you can never reach that place. The amount required to achieve the desired effect grows and grows, and the interval between consumption and the onset of withdrawal symptoms shrinks and shrinks, and the symptoms get worse and worse, until eventually you're either a little bit drunk or going through withdrawal 24 hours a day. Either that or the amount required to get high becomes toxic.

That is a living hell, and you want to stop way, way before you get there.

I would encourage you to give up the idea of "one last fling" (I think you mentioned that), and just quit, like today. No "last fling" will ever be good enough to tide you over for the rest of your life, so you'll always be stuck with the idea that you had just one last big party left in you. This is a very dangerous way to think.

You need a plan. First, understand that you have a problem (It sounds like you are there). Second, quit, totally. No scaling back. Next, get through the withdrawal symptoms, then, figure out why your were drinking and develop a life that doesn't require it.

You have to do these things one at a time. Thinking about all of them at once is too much. Doing it alone is very risky. Doctor, family, support group. You need them all.

You seem quite sincere about wanting to change, I hope you are successful.
You're right about the one last fling thing, and I admit that the beast is quite angry with me for having decided to do this right before what would have been a holiday soaked in French wine!

And no worries, I stopped cold turkey, no withdrawals. And I'm glad I'm doing this before I reached the point where I would have withdrawals because I know fo sho I was walking the razor's edge on that one, was only a matter of time before I'm hanging out with the drunks in front of the Westerkerk having beers at 8.30 in the morning.

Unfortunately I don't have family here except for my kids, my soon-to-be-ex will be moved out shortly, but luckily I have such a solid support system of friends that they are like my family here. I am definitely not going to make my kids deal with this though, they've been through enough! I had become a master at hiding a lot of my garbage from them until pretty recently, which was a wake-up call and I don't want them to worry, just want them to be able to live their own lives without anymore drama. They want nothing more than to just be normal teenagers.

Today shouldn't be too hard as long as I avoid the really bad influence friend, who happens to work with me... the train ride home is the hardest, so easy to grab a couple beers (since I don't have to drive), I have to think of other things to do on the train!!!
Old 07-11-2011, 01:34 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KellyEurope View Post
I love Dutch cheese, hmm.

As my Dutch-Canadian friend says, if you're not Dutch, you're not much!

And those windmills - so cute!

Wish I had money to travel this summer, I'd get to the Netherlands, Belgium, France, and Norway. Sigh.

Kelly
Lol @ the if you're not Dutch phrase, I've heard that a few times. I'm not Dutch though so I must not be much... but they do definitely have a very high opinion of themselves haha!

And I don't have any money either, my best friend has a house in Nice and he's actually paying for me and my boys to go because he feels for our situation with the divorce. Otherwise I'd be stuck here, which is what it will be like after this last holiday. Will be a long time before I can afford to go anywhere again
Old 07-11-2011, 04:56 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Welcome!

The last thing your kids need is a holiday with you on a bender. I've taken my kids on trips like that You know, mimosas for breakfast. Wine with lunch and dinner. Afternoon cocktails. civilized benders

Can you go and stay sober?

I went on a trip in early sobriety. I remember it very vividly. There were triggers everywhere. I was tense, anxious and frustrated. The days were long. But they were full of activities, my children didn't spend 10 hours a day in front of Sponge Bob. We went to the park (multiple parks)! And the museum! When they got fussy during long restaurant meals with my family I didn't just bribe them with candy so I could finish my drinks. I read the writing on the wall and took them back to the apartment. I gave them a bath and read them books before bed and fell into a dark, heavy sleep.

So, it can be done. But IME you have to want it more than anything else.

Welcome again!
Old 07-11-2011, 07:30 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SSIL75 View Post
Welcome!

The last thing your kids need is a holiday with you on a bender. I've taken my kids on trips like that You know, mimosas for breakfast. Wine with lunch and dinner. Afternoon cocktails. civilized benders

Can you go and stay sober?

I went on a trip in early sobriety. I remember it very vividly. There were triggers everywhere. I was tense, anxious and frustrated. The days were long. But they were full of activities, my children didn't spend 10 hours a day in front of Sponge Bob. We went to the park (multiple parks)! And the museum! When they got fussy during long restaurant meals with my family I didn't just bribe them with candy so I could finish my drinks. I read the writing on the wall and took them back to the apartment. I gave them a bath and read them books before bed and fell into a dark, heavy sleep.

So, it can be done. But IME you have to want it more than anything else.

Welcome again!
Civilized bender indeed!! That's exactly what would be happening. But I really Really REALLY do not want a drunk holiday! It's going to be extremely hard, I'm so brutally aware of this, but I need this. I'm so tired of feeling like hell all the time! And I just watched that Rain in my Heart video and that scared the bejeebus out of me!!! I don't really feel terribly bad for the drunks in the video because I sadly know too well where they're coming from, but my heart breaks for their families and it kills me to think that my kids could end up seeing me in the hospital like that if I don't get a damned grip on myself and stop being so selfish!!

After Friday I won't have internet access so I won't be able to check in here for support, going to have to rely solely on myself. I am truly terrified, but I feel stronger today than I did yesterday. We'll see how I feel on Thursday when I'm crawling the up walls for a drink...
Old 07-11-2011, 08:05 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Ugh and I just ran into my One Really Bad Influence in the elevator... just looking at him makes me want to drink. I can tell he's hung over too. This is one friend I'm afraid I really will need to give up, he's poison to me
Old 07-11-2011, 03:25 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Here is my take on friendship....
They do not stay static...they change as our interest and lives move forward.

I have no lefts overs from my childhood or teen years...none from when I was anArmy Wife....ero from the young married set or church contacts
I've relocated many times...my drinking buddies are mostly dead from alcohol causes.. in contact with 2 of the oldest and dearest via phone.

Like past lovers..we touched...enjoyed that time...moved forward...I am left with fond memories Looking Anticipating new friends is cool....

Last edited by CarolD; 07-11-2011 at 04:04 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:00 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Well I put myself in a potentially dangerous situation yesterday, my best friend invited me out on his boat for a canal cruise and I said yes and warned him that I'm not drinking, no worries on that one. But then he asked me to pick some beer up for him while he was on the way to get me, no worries on that one either, really. But then the One Really Bad Influence was going too - I didn't know about that... But you know what? I wasn't even tempted to drink. I had water and ate some food instead of drinking my dinner for once, and my friends didn't even mention the fact that I wasn't drinking. Yay! I'm willing to give up booze but I'm not willing to give up my life!!! I really enjoyed myself, we spent hours just cruising around and chilling and listening to music, and even though everyone else was drinking it didn't even phase me. Once I almost grabbed a beer just out of habit but then remembered and it was no big deal

I know that tomorrow and Thursday are going to be the toughest days for me though. I'm supposed to go on a date tomorrow with this guy I've kind of been seeing, he hardly drinks at all from what I've seen and is an all-around awesome dude (while I've been chugging beer after beer he will have 2 waters for every beer he drinks) but I get way too nervous around him and I know it will make me want to drink just to loosen up a bit... I think I just need to put dating on the backburner until I can deal with my own issues for a bit. High emotion situations really mess with my head.

Well anyway I'm really proud of myself for being able to do something last night that I like to do WITHOUT drinking and still enjoying it just as much