Notices

6th Day Sober/luckily no withdrawal

Old 06-15-2011, 12:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

6th Day Sober/luckily no withdrawal

I saw my Mom today. I usually see her once a week. She drinks a lot. We used to make cocktails or drink wine together. I feel we get along better tipsy. She and my dad both drank a lot my whole life.

If i was sober every other day of the week, you could be sure Id be tipsy before I saw her. Today I am proud that I made it through a visit sober. She'd had some wine and that just made me happier to not be sipping.

I'm surprised that I haven't had any withdrawal symptoms, really. Some anxiety, but I have GAD and even sober usually have SOME anxiety everyday. I'm trying very hard to be grateful that I am stopping now. It won't ever get any easier. After only two and a half years stuff has spiraled down so badly that i can't even begin to comprehend how difficult sobriety would be after 5, 10, 30 years.

I am a masochist and I feel that i really do deserve many, many awful symptoms

It feels so good to hear my voice, to not be afraid to speak in case I sound off, weird, or slurry. It feels good to not have hangover symptoms. It feels good to not have to worry about hiding the vodka pint or mini wine bottles in my purse... to not worry about where to hide for my next sip.

Thanks for listening.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Thanks for sharing such a positive time with us.

Last edited by CarolD; 06-15-2011 at 05:31 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations and good luck!

I can say with complete certainty that I don't think you deserve the nightmare of addiction and I am so happy for you that you are getting well sooner rather than later.

I come from a similar parental situation...I would recommend working on boundaries with them.

Keep us posted
Old 06-15-2011, 03:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Glad you made it thru sober. It will get better.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great job! Let it be your first and last time quitting.. I know for me, not having withdrawal symptoms was a curse.. Not a blessing I think.. It led me back to alcohol a few times because I knew I wouldn't go through hell if I picked up for a while and quit again..

Just be careful, remember the horror that WAS your life and enjoy an awesome sober one!
Old 06-17-2011, 12:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post

Thanks for sharing such a positive time with us.
Ditto...
Old 06-17-2011, 11:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by magdalenaxx View Post
I saw my Mom today. I usually see her once a week. She drinks a lot. We used to make cocktails or drink wine together. I feel we get along better tipsy. She and my dad both drank a lot my whole life.

If i was sober every other day of the week, you could be sure Id be tipsy before I saw her. Today I am proud that I made it through a visit sober. She'd had some wine and that just made me happier to not be sipping.

I'm surprised that I haven't had any withdrawal symptoms, really. Some anxiety, but I have GAD and even sober usually have SOME anxiety everyday. I'm trying very hard to be grateful that I am stopping now. It won't ever get any easier. After only two and a half years stuff has spiraled down so badly that i can't even begin to comprehend how difficult sobriety would be after 5, 10, 30 years.

It feels so good to hear my voice, to not be afraid to speak in case I sound off, weird, or slurry. It feels good to not have hangover symptoms. It feels good to not have to worry about hiding the vodka pint or mini wine bottles in my purse... to not worry about where to hide for my next sip.

Thanks for listening.
Thanks for posting

Here I am again, day 2 again.
My poor husband just told me in tears "I feel like I am losing you by bits"
Time to put on my big girl panties.

No symptoms physically today. Physically.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by magdalenaxx View Post
Thanks for listening.
Consider yourself lucky if you can avoid the physical pain and suffering of detox, trust me you don't want to experience it.

Good job on not drinking!
Old 06-17-2011, 12:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Keep coming bact to this forum. You'll hear how others are trying, and continuing to, stay sober also. It is possible, and the rewards of not drinking are too many to describe. If you find you want to, but can't, there are many avenues to follow. The fact that you are trying is a great start.