Notices

Court date in 6 days......

Old 06-09-2011, 07:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Court date in 6 days......

In some ways this day has come fast...and in other ways it has been torture....I attend court for a dui that was given 17 months ago.....(as long as I've been sober!!) I remember the early days thinking I will just quit until my court date....well now it's my way of life! so although I am stressed about the possible outcome I do feel blessed how this turn of events has changed my life completely!!! I know that whatever the judge decides upon...will not change my mind about sobriety... they may take away my license,my freedom to travel etc...but they can't take away the freedom of my soul!!! the dui was really my ticket to freedom.....
Old 06-09-2011, 09:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by loveon2legs View Post
In some ways this day has come fast...and in other ways it has been torture....I attend court for a dui that was given 17 months ago.....(as long as I've been sober!!) I remember the early days thinking I will just quit until my court date....well now it's my way of life! so although I am stressed about the possible outcome I do feel blessed how this turn of events has changed my life completely!!! I know that whatever the judge decides upon...will not change my mind about sobriety... they may take away my license,my freedom to travel etc...but they can't take away the freedom of my soul!!! the dui was really my ticket to freedom.....
That is really awesome to hear, congratulations.

If you don't mind me asking, which DUI count is it? Where I'm from, in Wisconsin, one is simply a traffic ticket, not a misdemeanor until the second. It also takes five before it becomes a felony. My friend got her second and it carried a sentence of 55 days with school/work release.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm from British Columbia, Canada....we have the toughest dui laws in Canada....there is the possibility of me loosing my license for a year, fine, and have a criminal record....they have even made it tougher since my charge......
Old 06-09-2011, 09:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes....continueing to move forward is the correct direction...
Old 06-09-2011, 09:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Hi L2L-

I've earned two duis, both with totalled cars.

I'm lucky to be alive and that I didn't seriously hurt someone.

...but I'm so grateful, like you, that this was the turning point in my life, and now I've been sober over 18 months.

Sounds like you're doing GREAT.

Hold your head up high and look the judge in the eye. Whatever punishment you recieve will be just and b/c you're sober now, you'll be able to handle it properly.

Best of luck and please let us know how it goes.

Kjell~
Old 06-09-2011, 10:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by loveon2legs View Post
I'm from British Columbia, Canada....we have the toughest dui laws in Canada....there is the possibility of me loosing my license for a year, fine, and have a criminal record....they have even made it tougher since my charge......
Yea, the first one here is like a $400-$1000 fine, but not on your record. You lose your license for 9 months as well.

The second is like a $900-$1500 fine, a misdemeanor, so it goes on your criminal record, and you lose your license for a year and a half. As I said as well, my friend who recently got her second got about 2 months of work release jail.

The third is like 4-5 months in jail (no work release), a bigger fine, and also a misdemeanor and loss of license. Also, you can no longer drive with a blood alcohol level over .02 from then on, or its a DUI. The normal level is .08 to be arrested.

The fourth is same as the third with stiffer penalties, and the fifth is a felony where you must serve a prison term.

To put how lax the laws are compared to other states, in Illinois just to the south, the first is a misdemeanor with jail time, and by the third its a felony with prison time.

And whats crazy is, the laws just got stiffer, so it used to be even more lax. It just recently went from .10 BAC down to .08, and that .02 law never existed. I heard a fourth will be a felony soon though, but still, nothing close to other states.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yea, I have two DUIs and I'm only 24, but my first one was where I was considered "impaired" by the cop, and it held up in court probably because of my age (I was only 19). My BAC was only .06, but where I'm from its not a DUI (driving under the influence), its called an OWI (operating while impaired). Since the arresting officer testified I was impaired, I was convicted.

The second was a .10, which I remember feeling like at the time that I wasn't even that drunk.

Me and my friends stole a ABT machine (breathalyzer) from a cop's squad when we were drunk and he was in a donut shop (no joke on either, and yes it was super dumb and immature, but we were only 17). We would use it at parties and we used to get up to like .25 and even .30 at times.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for your grateful attitude. I heard pain in sobriety is inevitable, but suffering IS optional. It was a chain of events that led to my sobriety also. Today I am grateful for those events, however hard at the time, because it eventually led me to where I am today. I would not trade that for gold. You'll be fine, I'm sure of it.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, I know that BC has tough laws for dui. I believe the fines can be from $600. to $4000. and if it's over .08 criminal charges will result. I live in Ontario and the laws here are pretty much the same as BC. It's a huge deal, especially to get a criminal record. I think your attitude is really good and that the changes you have made in your life will be helpful when you are in court. I hope you have a chance to speak on your behalf.

Please let us know how it goes.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi everyone I certainly will let you know how it all turns out! thank-you for the words of encouragement and support...on June 14..my past will be brought to light...but I just keep in mind that it is my past....I can't change it....only move forward to a bigger, and brighter future!!! huge turning point and lessons learned!!! amen to that!!
Old 06-09-2011, 04:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Great attitude! This, too, shall pass. It's a leftover consequence, and you'll feel better when it's behind you.

We'll all be pullin' for you!
Old 06-09-2011, 09:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
High on Life

Good luck, I know how it feels to be in that situation....
Old 06-10-2011, 06:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The fact that you have been sober for 17 months might help you out. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

17 months? Sounds to me like your Right to a Speedy Trial has been violated. The judge should toss this out!!

Best of luck to you and congrates on your sober time!
Old 06-12-2011, 08:28 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Ya, the 17 months is abit long here in BC....the courts are waaaay backed up.......I think the waiting has been punishment!! really..it has...
Old 06-13-2011, 01:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I keep thinking of you..I hope you can get this over and done with. You took a horrible situation and turned it around to improve your life. That has to be apparent when they decide the sentence..I wish you the best...
Old 06-13-2011, 04:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It will be nice to finaly get it over with. I'm in a similar situation as I don't think I could've gotten sober on my own without the dui. Blessing in disguise. I suppose. Good luck
Old 06-15-2011, 07:51 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
oak

How are you? How did it go?

I'm thinking about you and sending you prayers.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:02 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
High on Life

How was court??
Old 06-16-2011, 12:08 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

i hope it went well, but she hasn't logged in since the morning of her court date by looking at her profile.

prayers sent.