Notices

Boss needs to take credit for my work

Old 03-26-2011, 08:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Boss needs to take credit for my work

A coworker dropped some hints that the reason why I am not one of the bosses favorites is because I don't pass my work along to them and let them take credit for it. I am relatively new to the corporate world. Have dabbled but this is the deepest I've been in it.

I'm having trouble grasping this idea. I do work then give it to them and they present it to the rest of the company? It kind of makes sense to me if they give a specific assignment.. what if I create something of my own on my own? Like I see a way to improve things? Apparently I have to pass that on as well.

I am being told the idea is the boss is happy, and I get to have a good reference whether I leave or stay and try to move up. I am completely baffled and having trouble getting my head around this. I would love some input.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

What kind of work do you do? Most places have a "pecking order" if you will. Support staff usually does most of the "grunt" work and the supervisors pass that along. Ideally, the supervisor will declare such work a "team effort," although, some are glory hounds and keep all the accolades for themselves.

Not meaning to sound harsh, but...you complain about your job quite often. I'm wondering if you are looking around for other employment. It just seems to me that we spend so much of our time at work, that we should be working somewhere that we, for the most part, enjoy. Life is too short to be miserable so much of the time. IMHO.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What kind of work do you do? In my business it's easy to see who is responsible for things like sales, but in an operational enviroment many people have a hand in getting things accomplished. If you explained a little more it might be easier to to give an opinion.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I don't work in that kind of environment, but from what I understand, it IS pretty much par for the course in the corporate world. You pay your dues, and if you play the game well, you will be rewarded with promotions (if your boss is happy with how you make him look).

Sometimes it takes awhile to find the kind of work environment we like best. I have a job that gives me a lot of autonomy. My successes and failures are more likely to land on me than on anyone else (though my bosses get some of the reflected glory/shame). Maybe you'd prefer a job where you have more autonomy.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm in an operations environment.. manufacturing.. Heres one of the major problems I'm having. There is a bully at work and they are taddle telling to the boss if I do anything autonomously. For example, two different very powerful people at the company have approached me previously and said "do this assignment for me". I got the credit and the smiles. I am not sure how I should have handled it. Should I have emailed the boss with "this person asked me to do this?". I don't get it at all. Should I have done the work, sent it to my boss, and then they send it up the ladder? They all seem tarded. I am dumbfounded that this is normal behavior. I wish I had gone into blue collar work. Maybe I will get back on my goal of owning a business someday.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by UniqueNewYork View Post
Maybe I will get back on my goal of owning a business someday.
This is exactly what I was thinking when I was reading through your post. I work in a field where people frequently get credit for the work I'm doing - in fact, sometimes clients don't even know that I'm involved in the project at all. This doesn't bother me though, because I don't have to deal with the headaches of running a business...I just do my job.
It's really tough to run a business, but there are people out there that love it and wouldn't trade it for anything despite the amount of work it takes.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I still don't really understand what you are describing. Normally in manufacturing there are many aspects to coming up with a ready to sell product. If you are in R and D or in design it might make a little more sense.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

"Should I have done the work, sent it to my boss, and then they send it up the ladder?"

The answer is yes, you should always have an open line of communication with your supervisor.

Learning the "corporate culture/core values" at a company is an important process to determine if they mesh with your own values and to determine if you are a good fit.

I would suggest that you ask for an informal meeting with your supervisor to get a feeling for how your are performing and meeting expectations. And continue to keep the lines of communication with your supervisor open (email can help here).

I am not sure how long you have worked for this company but in this economy, I would give it some time to work out.

Dave
Old 03-26-2011, 09:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Moment of Conception

Im obviously missing something, but the only connection with Alcoholism i can see is, if you're not happy with your job, change it, before it drives you (back) to drink.

Just a thought.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stimmed View Post
Im obviously missing something, but the only connection with Alcoholism i can see is, if you're not happy with your job, change it, before it drives you (back) to drink.

Just a thought.
I should probably find another site to discuss life issues. I'm on here too much lately anyway.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I should probably find another site to discuss life issues. I'm on here too much lately anyway.
Why would you do that?? You are right where you are supposed to be. If being here is helping to keep you from drinking, then why would you leave?

We would love you help you with this issue, but you really aren't giving us much information. I don't see where anyone here hasn't tried to be helpful.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

+1 Suki -

I am a Senior Vice President of Corporate and Workplace Affairs and I am happy to give my two cents!!

Dave
Old 03-26-2011, 09:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Yeah, it kinda boils down to "is it me, or is it them". You are working for "them" so if you are uncomfortable with the way it works there, you basically have two options. One is to learn to do things their way. We can't always run things the way we think they should be run. When you're an employee that's the way it is. If it isn't illegal or unethical, we do it their way if we want to stay employed there.

The other option is to find a different type of work. Which may or may not be realistic in the present economy.

To put this back in recovery terms, you must accept that this is how your job works as long as you are there. If you build a huge resentment over it, you are likely to wind up drinking over it, sooner or later. I agree that you should clear up the expectations your bosses have of your own work. Do the best job that you can for them, and if you find the environment isn't a good fit for the way you work best, start thinking about other options.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I think that a big part of what any good supervisor does (I am a supervisor), is to protect those they manage so that they will be allowed the space and time to do outstanding work and grow in their careers. I make sure that those I manage keep me in the loop about who's hitting them up for work or what additional projects they're taking on. Knowing what they are working on allows me to help advocate for them if it seems they're being taken advantage of, or help fix things if they go off the tracks. It's not about micromanaging, taking credit, or stifling ambitions, it's more about creating and maintaining a supportive environment for the whole team, and if I'm not looped in, I'm really just not able to do that for them. Plus, I work in a fast paced, ego driven industry, and my more junior employees would be eaten alive without some buffer.

Perhaps your boss is feeling like you are preventing him/her from being able to do their job of supervising you? Communication is key for these sorts of situations...
Old 03-26-2011, 10:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Dang you are truly noble...are you hiring? LOL
Old 03-26-2011, 11:01 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Moment of Conception

Wasn't having a pop UNY.

I'll be honest and say i know very little about the Corporate World work env'. However i assume there are similarities in all work environments that require a team effort.

I have worked in steel all my life as a welder, but for the past 15yrs more a plater.
I quickly realised early on that its more about the end product rather than just my personal effort.

eg... Id knock together some kind of structure, making sure all joints were clean, square and supported. I was happy and relieved to let it go for welding knowing id give it my best shot (safety first). Welders would be on it like a rash, and their job was made easier, collecting 90% of browny points after ultra-sound testing. I used to think, holy cr*p i made that, and inspectors wouldn't even know who i was! Heh, but soon found myself busy with something else... and i was happy, there only in body, partly in mind, enough to do the job, peg out and get home.

Job satisfaction is so important, but like many other things it comes with time as you settle in, being placed where the captain sees you work best, complimenting the whole team.

Pfff... if someone gets off on browny points, let em have em! as$h*les... id sooner be an alcohol addict than a b*m-leech any day!

No offence guys :-)
Old 03-26-2011, 11:10 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
ste
unlearning

I'm in an operations environment.. manufacturing.. Heres one of the major problems I'm having. There is a bully at work and they are taddle telling to the boss if I do anything autonomously. For example, two different very powerful people at the company have approached me previously and said "do this assignment for me". I got the credit and the smiles. I am not sure how I should have handled it. Should I have emailed the boss with "this person asked me to do this?". I don't get it at all. Should I have done the work, sent it to my boss, and then they send it up the ladder? They all seem tarded. I am dumbfounded that this is normal behavior. I wish I had gone into blue collar work. Maybe I will get back on my goal of owning a business someday.
You are not autonomous in business, and you are not a slave, you are on a team. If you do something autonomous at work, I would venture to guess it is post here on SR.

The owner(s) of the team (probably most wisely, that's why they are owners) will decide where credit is due. Any original ideas from you, that better things? Then yes, they are to your credit. Follow directions to their successful end, to your credit also. Re-invent the wheel, no need, their wheel is rolling already.

If you really do have a better idea/way, it could be all it takes to start your own company. If you do, I feel I must tell you, you will have to deal with all your employees problems, shortcomings, misgivings etc. Unless you do everything yourself.

Hey! That reminds me of your post on marriage! People bother me too, but life is lonely alone, have nobody to blame, or exalt, but me.

P.S. book recommendation.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:24 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
ste
unlearning

Stimmed, we cross posted, I agree wholeheartedly with you. My solution was make the welders do their own prep, they learned to appreciate it. Unfortunately, there is too much finger pointing going on in the work world. Some will spend more time figuring out how to avoid their work, than the time their work would take.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:40 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
ste
unlearning

Stimmed,
You posted while I was still writing, agree with you wholeheartedly. Some times it seems they won't know what you did until you're gone! I made our welders do their own prep, then they appreciated it. Plating? Again, it all depends on the preparation. You are obviously conscientious, and I think they know. A job well done is it's own satisfaction. Finger pointing? For what?

Thought I lost that previous post! Oh well.........
Old 03-26-2011, 12:05 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Moment of Conception

Originally Posted by ste View Post
I made our welders do their own prep, then they appreciated it.
That is so true, and sorts the men from the boys who can only (no disrespect) burn a rod or pull a trigger, until finaly you are left with a fully functional team that works together. Vital in a firms reputation and survival.