Notices

Boss needs to take credit for my work

Old 03-26-2011, 12:21 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

My understanding of a co-dependant relationship is when you are trying to guess what their mood is, and adjust your actions to fit it. Sounds like that is what your co-workers are trying to do.

I say keep being yourself. Trying to please other people always ends in failure anyway. At some point you'll guess wrong and get asked "why did you do that", and the answer is "to make you happy". Not a healthy way to live IMO.

In recovery we learn to do the next right thing and take on different way to live. That should be good enough. All you can do is just give them 100% effort. Lean on your HP and trust yourself. There is a reason they hired you.

Best of luck!
Old 03-26-2011, 12:40 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks everybody. I talked with someone with decades in this field (I am deliberately very vague when I post; I am more paranoid than other people, but don't have a mental illness to my knowledge. I wish to remain anonymous, otherwise I would give very formal answers if I couldnt be.)

Anyway, person with decades in this field, yes they had two bosses like this. The short end of it is that every single thing must be run through them. In other words if a manager of a different department asks me to do something, I can't just do it. I have to run it by the boss. For the record.. the person I confided in feels this is a tactic used by incompetent bosses to protect information and the source of problems and successes. At least in this field. A different field, maybe not, maybe this is normal behavior.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:40 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by UniqueNewYork View Post
A coworker dropped some hints that the reason why I am not one of the bosses favorites is because I don't pass my work along to them and let them take credit for it. I am relatively new to the corporate world. Have dabbled but this is the deepest I've been in it.

I'm having trouble grasping this idea. I do work then give it to them and they present it to the rest of the company? It kind of makes sense to me if they give a specific assignment.. what if I create something of my own on my own? Like I see a way to improve things? Apparently I have to pass that on as well.

I am being told the idea is the boss is happy, and I get to have a good reference whether I leave or stay and try to move up. I am completely baffled and having trouble getting my head around this. I would love some input.
From where I am, this is called brown nosing. I too, lead a group of people and if someone expected me to take all the credit for their work I would be pissed. The first thing I do when some one thanks me for a job well done is say "Thanks, but I can't take all the credit So and So helped" I always make sure people are recognized for their contributions. The last thing you need is a team following you that has become disgruntled because they think you marginalized them.

If brown nosing is the environment you are in it surely will lead to lowered productivity for the whole operation at some point.

For the time being, I would suggest playing the game. It might be easier for you right now to suck up a little closer. Righteousness can be a long hard road.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:44 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sudz No More View Post
From where I am, this is called brown nosing. I too, lead a group of people and if someone expected me to take all the credit for their work I would be pissed. The first thing I do when some one thanks me for a job well done is say "Thanks, but I can't take all the credit So and So helped" I always make sure people are recognized for their contributions. The last thing you need is a team following you that has become disgruntled because they think you marginalized them.

If brown nosing is the environment you are in it surely will lead to lowered productivity for the whole operation at some point.

For the time being, I would suggest playing the game. It might be easier for you right now to suck up a little closer. Righteousness can be a long hard road.
LOL. See to me this viewpoint makes sense.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:55 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Sounds like the normal dog eat dog corporate world to me. That's why I won't ever go corporate, besides the fact that I am constitutionally incapable. Although, you could be grateful to have job. Many people don't these days- so in that way you are privileged in even having a complaint. It's good to be employed, financial autonomy is a wonderful thing, run with it!
Old 03-26-2011, 12:58 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
Sounds like the normal dog eat dog corporate world to me. That's why I won't ever go corporate, besides the fact that I am constitutionally incapable. Although, you could be grateful to have job. Many people don't these days- so in that way you are privileged in even having a complaint. It's good to be employed, financial autonomy is a wonderful thing, run with it!
Thanks Sleepie this makes me feel good and you're right