Notices

New A&E Show Called......Relapse :(

Old 03-14-2011, 07:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

New A&E Show Called......Relapse :(

It looks like next month A&E is going to have a spin-off of the much viewed "Intevention." I guess this new show "Relapse" is going to exploited the alcoholic/addict even more. It looks like it will just focus on the active addiction part. I use to think addiction shows helped educate the rest of America about addiction, however, now I'm not so sure. When I was a kid there was a lot of half hour comedy shows now it's just "reality" shows. ugh.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I figured you were making this news flash to say you
were going to be in it....good to know you are not.

Who knows who it might or might not help?
Old 03-14-2011, 07:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

LOL Yeah I could definetly be in it. I would not have found that funny a month or so ago. I would like to be on "Sober House" with Dr. Drew, however, I am not famous.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i'm looking foward to it. for me, intervention is like an AA meeting back at my old home group where they used to walk in vomiting and heaving and they'd be given a big book, a 12 and 12 and a sponsor to try to get them started with a little education.

i know intervention made me look at my addiction i a WHOLE different way, and that many of those on the show were just like me. it was really heartbreaking to see it from the families' point of view and it wasn't something i really could empathize with until i saw the show.

i think this relapse show will allow alot of those still struggling with a way to stay sober some other methods that are available. i'm all for it.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
It looks like next month A&E is going to have a spin-off of the much viewed "Intevention."
I expect we won't see any of the original Intervention addicts making an encore on this spin off. That wouldn't look too good.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

From www.deadline.com "A&E Network has started production on Relapse...It will follow sober coaches as they do whatever it takes to help high-risk addicts break the cycle of relapse and addiction."

Sounds interesting to me. I hear in the Los Angeles CA area, there quite a few of these services. Some charging as much as $1,000. a day for a 24/7 live in coach.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JohnBarleycorn View Post
I expect we won't see any of the original Intervention addicts making an encore on this spin off. That wouldn't look too good.
Well normally they have a followup at the end of the original Intervention series, that tells what happened 6 months later, and at least half of the stories end up in a relapse. I don't think the show is bragging about their success rate.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well normally they have a followup at the end of the original Intervention series, that tells what happened 6 months later, and at least half of the stories end up in a relapse. I don't think the show is bragging about their success rate.
Drat! now you have ruined it for me!

Because of my limited vision .and they do not have voice overs
I can't see this.....I always pretend they are alive and doing well
Old 03-14-2011, 08:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Supercrew View Post
So... "Treatment works!"
Old 03-14-2011, 08:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Carol...they all end up sober happily ever after...

SUPERCREW!!!!!!! :/
Old 03-14-2011, 08:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sounds interesting to me. I hear in the Los Angeles CA area, there quite a few of these services. Some charging as much as $1,000. a day for a 24/7 live in coach.
Why am I thinking about charlies Sheen's 2 er ah coches?
Old 03-14-2011, 08:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Originally Posted by Supercrew View Post
You beat me to it Super. You can say what you want about Intervention, but clearly the point of the show isn't to brag about success rates. It doesn't sugar coach addiction. One that really got to me was the male that passed away a few months after the show from the alcohol use.

This new show looks interesting. I don't think THESE shows hurt at all. They show addiction in a realistic light, and let people know it's not as easy as just quitting.

Really like Heavy too.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I just watched Heavy!!! Two weeks ago or so they had a Heavy Alcoholic!! She ended up dumping a bunch of weight..and doesn't shake any more either...

She could have been on Intervention BEFORE she was on Heavy.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
Why am I thinking about charlies Sheen's 2 er ah coches?
I was thinking Charlie would have a sober coach. I didn't know he has two. I wonder where or what his PR people are doing? Maybe their using one of the coach's.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I used to watch it drunk and say "well I'm not as bad as him or her". When I got farther along I would watch the show hoping someone would intervene on me and give me 3 months of free treatment and I wouldn't have to worry about losing my job and house.

Of course that never happened so I had to do the heavy lifting myself.

Sorry Carol didn't mean to ruin it for you.

The thing about interventions is most people being intervened on really don't want to quit. You can give someone all the treatment in the world, but if someone has the mind set that they don't really want to change they won't. IMO
Old 03-14-2011, 09:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

^ I used to watch it drunk too. Would go to slam my drink during commercial breaks. I did get the irony. Did not want anyone to do an Intervention on me...plus I hid it fairly well so that wouldn't of happened.

Prob saw that one Ms. Brown, but not sure.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:02 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
In my Own Little World

I just watched Heavy!!! Two weeks ago or so they had a Heavy Alcoholic!! She ended up dumping a bunch of weight..and doesn't shake any more either...

Well ****! That could have been me!! I'm still heavy...and well I'm still an alcoholic. Does that count? LOL (and by alcoholic I mean no longer using of course but once an alcoholic always an alcoholic the adage goes right?)

Last edited by LotusBlossom; 03-14-2011 at 09:03 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 03-14-2011, 09:10 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
DOS: 11/6/10

Anyone else besides me afraid of this show? I DO watch Intervention, and know about the "success rate" etc, but it always seems like a hopeful show for me. I don't know why it scares me, but the idea of watching someone try to pull out of a relapse feels I don't know, risky to me. At least, to me.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:21 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Guess I see your point Sunrise, but no the show doesn't scare me. When I watch shows like that it makes me appreciate my sobriety even more...and honestly makes me feel proud for having gotten sober. No offense meant to anyone, but it just shows how selfish people can be.

Lotusblossom - I don't assume people here are sober, but I think from your post you are? Congrats. Yeah that show could of been a lot of us.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:35 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

How do they pick the people for the show? Do they just follow around a recovering alcoholic/addict and hope he fails? They find a poor guy in a meeting and tell him they want to do a show on recovery, then the crew takes him to bars and offers him drugs and booze?

I mean it wouldn't be much of a show if they called it Relapse and then the person stays sober. I sort of question the ethics behind this show, so they let a person who is trying to recover, relapse on purpose so they can tape it instead of trying to intervene and stop them from making a mistake that could ultimately kill them?

What some people will do for a buck, how about they let them drop far enough so they are homeless and then they can pay them to fight each other and they can call it "Relapsing Bum Fights".