Notices

Length of sobriety: does it matter?

Old 03-09-2011, 08:18 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I don't get it Fandy. I wasn't belittling anyone.

I get that you don't like AA and that's fine with me. If you're happy with not drinking one day at a time, my hat's off to you. I wasn't, not even close. Perhaps we drank differently, perhaps we recover differently...maybe both, maybe neither. It really doesn't matter to me.

My comment was that life in sobriety doesn't necessarily get easier. That's my experience and it's the experience of a LOT of the ppl in recovery that I look up to. Does life get "better? -Sure, no question......but not necessarily easier.

It's a simple difference of opinion......differences aren't necessarily attacks. I don't like chocolate ice cream. If you do, and I tell you I don't like it, I'll have vanilla........I'm neither slamming chocolate nor those who like it.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:34 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

for the record, I wasn't addressing Day Trader....and I am partial to Cherry Garcia ice cream.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:43 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 24hrsAday View Post
i am reminded of a saying by an oldtimer at my A.A. Club: "it's easier to stay sober than to get sober"
This works for me
Old 03-09-2011, 12:54 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

I think length of time in recovery should matter because hopefully you are growing more and more within yourself. Each year anniversary is satisfying for me personally but the only important "sober goal" I have is that I die w/o ever picking up another drink whether that is today, next year, or 50 yrs from now
Old 03-11-2011, 07:04 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Wink

just using common sense i can Understand how in the past 4 years the things in life i have been dealing with sober (some for the first time ever) has a great deal of value..
Old 03-11-2011, 09:20 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

My sober time matters to me.

Others' time only matter to the extent that I'm willing to incorporate their experience into my recovery, obviously that would eliminate most people that have little time in recovery.

But they are good reminders, something I read once about the 'gift of desperation', the old timer said that the longer you're sober, the more desperate you have to be.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:02 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
skg

At 5 years of sobriety I'm told I'll get my marbles back. At 10 years I'll get to play with them. At 20 I'll learn what to do with them. At 40 years I'll find out they never were really mine to begin with. Today, however, I got up at 6 AM and I am still sober through the Grace of God and the program of AA. That's enough for right now...
Old 03-11-2011, 02:09 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post
My comment was that life in sobriety doesn't necessarily get easier. That's my experience and it's the experience of a LOT of the ppl in recovery that I look up to. Does life get "better? -Sure, no question......but not necessarily easier.
I agree. It is not "life" that is better for me. It is how I "cope" with life that is better. My coping skills are drastically better because I have "quality" in my recovery.

"In this life - pain is mandatory - suffering is optional."