Notices

Length of sobriety: does it matter?

Old 03-05-2011, 09:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Length of sobriety: does it matter?

Everyone has an Opinion.. what say you? ever hear about the Importance of hitting the "5" year mark?
Old 03-05-2011, 09:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I kind of have a personal goal of reaching the 20 year point without relapsing, just because I think people in AA tend to listen to you more if you have 20 years continuous.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well i didn't get sober so that people would listen to me lol

IMO the goal of sobriety is to be happy, joyous and free...if one is all three then length of sobriety is totally irrelevant...if they are not all three then length of sobriety becomes extremely significant and also need to be heard, need to be told, need for respect etc all are part of the package...

As far as i am concerned i couldn't care less if people think i am on day 1 and have the worst sobriety on this planet and i couldn't care less if they know my sobriety date and think i have the best sobriety or anywhere in between...it is not important to me:-)
Old 03-05-2011, 10:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Personally, I'll be glad when I can stop counting days (day 4!). I think that it helps some people because it gives them a definite goal to work towards. The drawback is that if you're sober for 100 days and you get sloshed on day 101, you might really beat yourself up because you have to start all over again from 0. That doesn't make sense to me, because it's not like you haven't done a whole lot of work on yourself during that period, you know?
Old 03-05-2011, 10:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

an old saying from A.A. "Don't count the days.. make the days count!" there have been studies that suggest that achieving 5 years of continuous sobriety is very significant..
Old 03-05-2011, 10:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

The only thing that is important to me is that I am sober today. I think being sober 3 years is significant. Someone isn't a better person just because they put together more sober days than another person. Again, being sober today is all that matters to me.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A work in progress

My first husband (who got sober at 21 and now has 31 years) could, realistically, celebrate 75 years or more sober. I, who have two and a half years, won't live that long.

I certainly expect and plan to stay sober the rest of my life. I'm not so complacent as to discount the possibility of a relapse, but I intend to do whatever I need to do so that never happens.

Every day sober is a gift. That's how I see it.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

My sober time is important to me. It helps keep me sober. I have to stay sober, without sobriety, I will lose everything. My drinking has proven that over and over again. If I choose to drink, I lose my sober time and start again. I may have worked hard over that time, but not hard enough if I drank. It is a continuous cycle. Each sober day, you work to maintain it, no matter how many days you have. There are no guarantees and it is the same for every one be it 1 day or 1001 days.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey man. Good to hear from you.

Inevitably then length of sobriety matters as it's more experience behind you at the very least and more to chuck away too. The thing about sobriety and recovery though is it's all very difficult to quantify. Much of it is state of mind and concepts that are hard to define, conceptualise or even prove exist; the only indicator that positive, dramatic behaviour/attitude shifts occur which are directly noticeable. For me then it's ultimately just today that ultimately is the most crucial part as that's where you are currently at and where and what you will be remembered/or not remembered for.

For example you could have had 5 years sobriety and recovery but then suddenly find that for what ever reason you pick up again. You then wake from a blackout in a police cell and that counts for nothing and explaining it to the copper ain't gonna mean nothing. Ultimately you're are only as good as your current/present behaviour in many respects. That being said then it certainly ain't a linear progression and you could have 6 months in bliss and then a few days in a mental rut. Then those 6 months seem a million miles away and you're in that rut. I guess that's a long way of saying yes, of course time matters as a hell of a lot of learning, healing, rebuilidng is done in that time but today with the wrong choices/decisions would mean it would effectively count for very little. This is my own experience for this alcoholic, other alcoholics/non alcoholics experiences are liable to be different.

Ultimately though time sober is a quantifiable measure of somebody's sobriety/recovery. Despite stuff you hear about being 'dry' and all that then ultimately if your recovery ain't working then you're just gonna pick up again. People who gain decent sober time are ultimately doing something right or else they wouldn't gain that sober time and would just go back drinking again. So from that perspective then length of sobriety matters very much, not to mention the hope that this gives people just starting out to who'm seeing tangible things like length of sobriety cannot be underestimated.

Peace
Old 03-05-2011, 12:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've been sober 19+ years and say yes, to a degree. As we stay sober we build up experiences and have "sober reference". I've been through deaths, money problems, IRS, dental, relationship issues and when they happen again -- hey, it's life -- I'm better equipped to deal with these things. I can also tell others about the actions I took. I have lots of experience with drink signals, people places and things, HALT. I know what my stress points are.

However, I've encountered too many people who once had a lot of time and went out. Even after two decades. You get lazy, complacent. You forget what it was like. You forget that it's a cunning, baffling and powerful disease.

It's important to always remember that I am an alcoholic, that I'm powerless over alcohol. And, that a drink is ONLY an arm's length away.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Ethanol Intolerant

I had 18 years sober, it didn't seem to matter much. Of course I was 18 at the time
Old 03-05-2011, 12:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

Through the process of recovery, I have realized my thoughts and opinions have changed over the years. I used to believe that AA was the only way to get and stay sober. I no longer attend AA, but do believe in the process and maintain it in my daily life. One thing that will never change is I can never drink again. I remind myself of that each and every day. That is one thing that helps me stay sober.

AA the only way, no. I no longer believe that. However, if you are in a state of desperation like I was, it works if you work it as initially intended. It worked for me and I truly believed that there was no hope for me.

If you really want to quit and keep trying, eventually you will be lead to something that works. However, it takes diligence to find and work a program to its fullest. There isn't an easy out. I had to learn that the hard way.

With that...length of sobriety effects you in many different ways. There are many bumps in the road of life, and if you can get over/around them sober, you must be doing something right.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Even though I've stayed sober with AA for 19 years, I don't think it's the only way to get and stay sober. And it doesn't work for all people. It works for me because meetings "take the edge off", it's the fellowship that keeps me sober. Talking to another alcoholic. Somethings are helped by the steps (especially in the beginning). I'm an agnostic, always have been, and my sponsor is an atheist. "The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking". That's it.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NYCDoglvr View Post
I'm an agnostic, always have been, and my sponsor is an atheist. "The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking". That's it.
I just posted on another thread http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rograms-4.html about how I didn't see how AA would be the best program for an atheist. Agnostic, sure, I'm mostly agnostic with the occasional day as a believer. And that has been happening more often, I believe as the result of the program.

I'd be interested to hear how an atheist works the steps. I have heard of people who use nature as a higher power, I could see how that would work.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

:Read my signature....

the only DOS I am certain of is mine.
Yes....it means a lot to me....
Old 03-05-2011, 02:26 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Well, yes and no for me.

On the one hand, my bottom line is to be sober today. If I can do that, I'm golden.

On the other hand, I'm working on 17 years now, and that kind of gives me perspective...

I know people in AA that have 30+ years and are total jackholes. I know people that have less than a year and totally get it.

For me it isn't how much dry time you have, but how much personal clarity you have that really moves you forward.

Good topic, worth thinking about. Thanks, OP
Old 03-05-2011, 03:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Some people say getting to 5 marks the end of early sobriety.

And yes, I think the sober time we have is important. I see progress made from earlier points in my sober life and lessons learned along the way. Your experience may of course be different.

Seems we have the chance to keep learning and experiencing new things as our lives continue to get better. Falling back into the tar pit at any point can destroy all that, but it's not required.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:31 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I think sober time is important. I am wanting to take advice from older sober members in my AA groups because they have managed to face life's challenges without picking up a drink and can give me tips on doing that.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:52 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Nope!
Old 03-05-2011, 06:23 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
where the light is

I was recently at a meeting where a man celebrated 32 years sober. His friends were there and they had all been 30+ years sober.

While listening to this man speak, it struck me how this man went through so many incredibly tough experiences yet still maintained his sobriety in large part through working his program.

So yes. Continuous sobriety is important. It demonstrates that with a program, an alcoholic can get through anything without picking up a drink. It means that I can do this too.

I hit three years last December. It's easy to stay sober when everything is going well. However, I also made it through a marital separation, death of my aunt, suicide of my cousin, and other serious challenges without drinking.

This doesn't mean that falling off the wagon is the end of the world. Learn from it, pick up the pieces and get back on track. I've seen too many people who are so down on themselves after a slip that it turns into months or years of drinking. It doesn't have to be this way.