Length of sobriety: does it matter?

Old 03-06-2011, 05:20 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Smile

Great Reply's Guys! thanks all..
Old 03-06-2011, 05:21 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NYCDoglvr View Post
I've been sober 19+ years and say yes, to a degree. As we stay sober we build up experiences and have "sober reference". I've been through deaths, money problems, IRS, dental, relationship issues and when they happen again -- hey, it's life -- I'm better equipped to deal with these things. I can also tell others about the actions I took. I have lots of experience with drink signals, people places and things, HALT. I know what my stress points are.

However, I've encountered too many people who once had a lot of time and went out. Even after two decades. You get lazy, complacent. You forget what it was like. You forget that it's a cunning, baffling and powerful disease.

It's important to always remember that I am an alcoholic, that I'm powerless over alcohol. And, that a drink is ONLY an arm's length away.
you sound a Lot like my first sponsor here.. he was a great one!
Old 03-06-2011, 07:07 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 24hrsAday View Post
Everyone has an Opinion.. what say you? ever hear about the Importance of hitting the "5" year mark?
I feel like each day I don't drink I put alcohol farther in my past and that each day I don't drink I am a little safer. If I compare myself now at 23 months with myself one year ago. I can tell that it is easier to avoid the drink.

Although, I am still one mile from the liquor store. So I need to remember that.

But yeah, with almost two years sober. That is what I would say. Each day, I am a little farther from that old lifestyle. Each day it is a little farther in my past.

But, I also remain proactive in my sobriety and try to force myself to keep moving forward in that.

But, at the end of all of this.... I am still one mile from the liquor store. If that makes any sense at all.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:09 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I guess I am saying that I will never be completely safe. I need to remain vigilant.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:44 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

I remember hearing something similar about quitting smoking, but it was the importance of seven's. Seven days, seven weeks, seven months, and seven years were all times when someone was most likely to start smoking again.

What a stinking pile of fly infested Bovine Patties!

Thoughts like those, in the mind of a recovering addict, are nothing but self inflicted hurdles to trip over in the future. Someone just starting out in sobriety who entertains thoughts like these with any seriousness will have that little voice in the back of their head for the next five years. It'll slowly grind away at their resolve with glacial efficiency, building on their doubts and fears, just waiting to trip them into getting drunk "just this one time".

One drink equals many, so don't have that first one!

Murray
Old 03-06-2011, 08:31 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChikkaB View Post
I know people in AA that have 30+ years and are total jackholes. I know people that have less than a year and totally get it.
This, plus what gravity said
(quote system isn't working on my computer I suspect I'm not the only one?)

Pretty much sums up my feelings
Old 03-06-2011, 08:43 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Murray4x5 View Post
I remember hearing something similar about quitting smoking, but it was the importance of seven's. Seven days, seven weeks, seven months, and seven years were all times when someone was most likely to start smoking again.

What a stinking pile of fly infested Bovine Patties!

Thoughts like those, in the mind of a recovering addict, are nothing but self inflicted hurdles to trip over in the future. Someone just starting out in sobriety who entertains thoughts like these with any seriousness will have that little voice in the back of their head for the next five years. It'll slowly grind away at their resolve with glacial efficiency, building on their doubts and fears, just waiting to trip them into getting drunk "just this one time".

One drink equals many, so don't have that first one!

Murray
i was only Throwing out the "5" Year Thing Because it has been Mentioned at A.A. Meetings. i Googled the search: and found Several articles on it.. only looking for Experience Strength and Hope..
Old 03-06-2011, 09:36 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

Wherever it comes from, it's all wrong. I can't imagine saying something like, "Well, you know, you haven't really kicked the habit until you've stayed clean for over five years like I have".

Talk about an unsurmountable mountain when you're first starting out...I remember when a week seemed impossible!

Murray
Old 03-06-2011, 09:38 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

God does for me what i couldnt......so it isnt me the does the job.

Connection to that power is important to me, vital in fact.....and has become stronger and clearer over time....so in that respect it matters i guess.

thats my own personal experience.......everyone is different i guess.

ive had better days 2 years sober than some of the ones ive had recently but foward i go......hand in hand with the guy that has all the answers...
Old 03-06-2011, 10:33 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Murray4x5 View Post
Wherever it comes from, it's all wrong. I can't imagine saying something like, "Well, you know, you haven't really kicked the habit until you've stayed clean for over five years like I have".

Talk about an unsurmountable mountain when you're first starting out...I remember when a week seemed impossible!

Murray
yeah.. hey, Murray.. i think you are (kind of) a bit off.. to State: "wherever it comes from.. it's all wrong" i am NOT saying i know one way or another and this subject only pertains to people who have multiple years sober.. i only stay sober "One day at a time" myself so i get that much.. the other thing: you haven't kicked until you have been clean 5 years.. Huh? i never said anything like that..
Old 03-06-2011, 10:49 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Like i said if you aren't happy, joyous and free now then there has to be a focal point in the future...it goes back to the old when i get a partner, car, house, new job things will be different...

I sit with a friend of 25 years sober who looks at a guy who is 40 years sober and says to me thats what i am aiming for...IMO you have to real careful with that kind of thinking because it is definitely old behaviour...but at the same time i would not tell my friend that because although his life is still completely unmanageable, which he would admit, if chasing on the tails of that 40 year sober guy keeps him sober the hey, its better than it was for him...

For him one day at a time never changed from stay away from drink one day at a time to live in the moment and enjoy each day because there may not be a tomorrow...

One of his favourite phrases is "you drank so i dont have to" when someone drinks again...that makes me laugh out loud and i have to pretend i am sneezing...i'm laughing now,,,i know its off topic but its so funny:-)
Old 03-06-2011, 10:54 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

yeahgr8.. whatever works for each individual.. i am all for it.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:58 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I'd say for starters be happy with sobriety time that keeps you out of trouble like showing up for work sober, driving sober, not committing crimes, lying and/or manipulating people to get your drug of choice. Then worry about personal time if you can't do it all once. Progress is progress no matter how small.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:50 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by bevin View Post
Personally, I'll be glad when I can stop counting days (day 4!). I think that it helps some people because it gives them a definite goal to work towards...
IMO those who set short term goals end up with a self-fulfilling prophecy. My original goal was to get a 1 year token chip to show to all of my friends and relatives, as if to say: "See, I can stop drinking."

Had I gotten what I wanted, I would have in fact been selling myself short. The results I ended up with were so much more than abstinence, I can hardly describe it.

On the other hand, I do believe that there is some statistical advantage to years abstinent. Those with 5 years are about five times more likely to stay sober for life.

However, I don't believe that "not-drinkin" guarantees spiritual growth solid experience. If you were to go for a job interview, I don't think 5 years of "not-working" would impress to many employers as being a positive experience LOL!
Old 03-06-2011, 12:07 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

To drink may mean; = drinking to excess, not being able to stop after one, A viscous cycle that I might not be capable of stopping , more damage to my health , more damage to my relationships with my wife, family, friends, and others I care about, ect. ect..!! WOW,… I’m starting to miss all the good times already. Who's buying?
Old 03-06-2011, 12:10 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Time without a drink is not recovery.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:32 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Each anniversary I go through a period of being incredulous that I have X amount of time. It just doesn't seem possible, surely I drank sometime during that period!! But I didn't.
I realized that all I do is go to a meeting and put my fanny in a chair. I'm not someone who could get and stay sober on my own ... I needed the peers of AA.

In the end there is only one important day: today. It's when I take actions that will help me stay sober or lead me to a drink.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:37 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

Originally Posted by 24hrsAday View Post
Everyone has an Opinion.. what say you? ever hear about the Importance of hitting the "5" year mark?
Sorry if I came across as accusing you of saying that to someone...I didn't mean to...

I file this 5 year sort of thing along with people telling me I'm not a "real" alcoholic. At only 8 months sober I guess I'm not all that secure in my sobriety and there are a few things that can push my buttons. People sandbagging me, throwing up hurdles and doubts to impede my recovery, or disregarding my problems with alcohol can still set me off I guess.

Sorry again if I came across as too harsh.

Murray
Old 03-06-2011, 12:58 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Listening to a Joe and Charlie Big Book study...

They said, even in the old days, the emphasis was on quality of sobriety versus length of sobriety.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:00 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Wink

Originally Posted by FrothyJay View Post
Time without a drink is not recovery.
so.. how long have you been sober there bud? (since you think it does not matter)