Notices

"Drink Respoonsibly"

Old 03-03-2011, 07:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

"Drink Respoonsibly"

I see these billboards and I wonder, what does that mean?
I know people talk about "normies" but honestly, I dont know I have ever met any. Most people I've known drink to get drunk. Before last summer, I'd have one or 2, maybe 3. I was still drinking to get a buzz/alter my reality/perception, even though it wasn't excessive.
I've also become more aware of how much people are drinking since I don't anymore. I've been to a couple concerts, etc. where virtually everyone there was drunk. Man drunk people are annoying!
Its getting kind of lonely being sober. I don't think I need AA but I am thinking of finding meetings in my new area just to meet people who actually want to have fun sober.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Bubble...
I can relate....I often feel like a minority, there is not one person I know who drinks "normally" they drink to get drunk..period....I don't hang around those people anymore, but just observing...I think there are not too many people who drink just for the taste alone...
I hear ya about going to AA for the purpose of finding others who are like us...I'm just looking for the right meeting... because it's hard to find people who are sober...and don't need to go out and drink.....I was one of them, so I can understand it....but I don't want any part of it....

How long have you been in recovery...I'm 13 months...and just feel like branching out now...
Old 03-03-2011, 08:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

I know people who have gone to AA even when they think they don't need it you will be surprised at how much it really does help.

Summer is coming up and people in AA sure know how to party sober. There are BBQ's, campouts,picnics,softball the list goes on.

Go check it out I am sure you won't regret it. If you have a drinking problem you will relate.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

P.S. Yes drunk people are annoying....now I know what others had to tolerate with me!! sobering reality!!!!
Old 03-03-2011, 08:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Even people who drink "normally" seem to often "let loose" on special occasions. When they do let loose, frequently things are said that shouldn't and done that might not be wise. This is why I think even "normal drinkers" would be better off without alcohol...but that's just me
Old 03-03-2011, 08:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I know lots of 'normal drinkers' they can take it or leave it and rarely if ever have more than 1 drink; now when I was drinking I thought these people were BORing now of course I realize the drunks (like I was) are the BORing ones.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bubblehead View Post
I don't think I need AA but I am thinking of finding meetings in my new area just to meet people who actually want to have fun sober.
That's as good a reason to attend AA as any. Social support is important.

GG
Old 03-03-2011, 09:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

I got this stat from a dui class.

90% of the alcohol sold in the U.S. is consumed by 30% of the population

That means that about 70% of the population only consumes 10% of the alcohol and they are probably doing it responsably.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

Whenever I hear "please drink responsibly" on TV I say out loud, "Nah. I'm sorry. I just can't, dude." I don't know why but it makes me feel better.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bubblehead View Post
I don't think I need AA but I am thinking of finding meetings in my new area just to meet people who actually want to have fun sober.
If you do put this into action, then please be careful what you share at the meetings. You might accidentally kill a newcomer with your words. The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking, yes, I understand the short version of our third tradition, but keep in mind, if the newcomer has lost the power of choice in drink then just not drinking and going to meetings won't treat what is wrong with them, it's about perspective. Also, our fifth tradition kind of says "Hey, we got one job here, lets focus on that, go to Starbuck's or Denny's if you want to socialize."
Old 03-03-2011, 11:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Respoonsibly
Respooooonsability...LOL
Old 03-03-2011, 11:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I refuse to be one of the recovering alcoholics that blames alcohol and look down upon normal moderate drinkers....

Kinda reminds me of the ex-smokers and their hatred of cigarettes now.. lol
Old 03-03-2011, 12:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Originally Posted by omegasupreme View Post
If you do put this into action, then please be careful what you share at the meetings. You might accidentally kill a newcomer with your words. The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking, yes, I understand the short version of our third tradition, but keep in mind, if the newcomer has lost the power of choice in drink then just not drinking and going to meetings won't treat what is wrong with them, it's about perspective. Also, our fifth tradition kind of says "Hey, we got one job here, lets focus on that, go to Starbuck's or Denny's if you want to socialize."
With all due respect, bubblehead has just as much right as you or I to attend an AA meeting and conduct themselves accordingly as they see fit.

We all take different paths and thank God there is only one requirement for membership and that is a desire to stop drinking.

Kjell
Old 03-03-2011, 01:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kjell View Post
With all due respect, bubblehead has just as much right as you or I to attend an AA meeting and conduct themselves accordingly as they see fit.

We all take different paths and thank God there is only one requirement for membership and that is a desire to stop drinking.

Kjell
I understand exactly what you are saying. Consider this though, is the requirement for membership the same as the requirement for recovery? And by the short form of that tradition I do not meet the requirement for membership as the desire to drink has been removed from me. Fortunately, the long version of the tradition covers this.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I know we may be a little biased here seeing "our situations" but I think that there are very few people out in the 'real world' that actually drink responsibly. I see it all the time people selecting the deisgnated driver because they only had 5 beers verses the 12 beers the other person had. The person who has a 'few beers' then picks their kid up from daycare. etc.... I see VERY few people in my life who drink responsibly. I hope to be a better man.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Originally Posted by omegasupreme View Post
I understand exactly what you are saying. Consider this though, is the requirement for membership the same as the requirement for recovery? And by the short form of that tradition I do not meet the requirement for membership as the desire to drink has been removed from me. Fortunately, the long version of the tradition covers this.
Omega - not to mince words, but I think it's important, when someone is considering AA, that we welcome and encourage them to attend.

A newcomer probably won't understand your train of thought, though I believe it comes with good intentions.

Let's keep it simple and attractive for them so they may find recovery as well.

Kjell
Old 03-03-2011, 02:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Ethanol Intolerant

My oldest son is a freshman in college and he asked me what responsible drinking was. I told him I did not know, but the drinking I used to do, was not it.

A few weeks later he called in the middle of the night. His roommate came home smashed and had spent the last hour in the bathroom calling dinosaurs, and he was worried about alcohol poisoning. At the end of the conversation he said, "I guess that is not responsible drinking either - huh?" Yep, that boy of mine is a bright one.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:15 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Re:"Drink Respoonsibly"

Drinking responsibly..What’s that? Forums, like this one, would not exist if everyone could drink responsibly and in moderation. Unfortunately, Some people can't, that's why AA and forums, like this one, do exist -thank God.

My drinking wasn’t considered “that excessive” early on, thus categorizing my problems as more developmental in nature rather than alcohol dependent. When my drinking did escalate, which it did over time, the prospect of having one or two drinks never came to mind. When I finally crossed the invisible line into active alcoholism, the prospect of having “a drink” in moderation was certainly not an option anymore.

Forums, like this one, and recovery programs, like AA, have been a God-sent to recovering alcoholics like me. There are so many constructive outlets available to alcoholics, like us, in recovery and two of them are laughter and companionship. I enjoy spending quality time with every one on this forum and share stories of interest as well. I also enjoy spending quality time with members of my home group; doing various activities including bowling, Golfing and dancing. These activities keep my mind off the problem by refocusing my attention towards a more tranquil and worthwhile solution instead. All of this is done for a purpose; to help heal our infirmities and regenerate our resolve through any reconstructive means possible.

Remaining in the moment and in the confines of any sober arena, makes the possibility of long term sobriety a reality –for today. Keep focused on the solution and in the compassionate arms of our fellows, as we trod the road of happy destiny towards a more purpose filled and sober existence one day at a time.
~God bless~
Old 03-03-2011, 04:58 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I figure they are paid for by the producers of alcohol
while appearing to be concerned....they actually promote
drinking.
Very subtle .....

Call me carol Cynic on this deal.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:45 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kjell View Post
Omega - not to mince words, but I think it's important, when someone is considering AA, that we welcome and encourage them to attend.

A newcomer probably won't understand your train of thought, though I believe it comes with good intentions.

Let's keep it simple and attractive for them so they may find recovery as well.

Kjell
My approach is with good intention to protect the clarity of this message in the fellowship I love so dearly, mainly for the newcomer...so it is not filled with babble about this that and the other, so that the newcomer has the same opportunity to recover that I did. The message that was given to me when I first arrived was, "Omega, this is life or death, either work the steps or go play somewhere else." At the time this "message" hurt my feelings, so I left the fellowship, and nearly died, but when you fail at death and then end up locked up, where else is there to go when you get released...you go back to those same people that said, "Omega, this is life or death, either work the steps or go play somewhere else." I tried playing elsewhere and the pain was unbearable, when you can't live and you can't die, you try the only thing left. I will forever be grateful to those two that shot me down at those early meetings, they are both still sober too, 62 yrs between those two crusty thumpers...and go figure, we are good friends today, lol. That is the experience that I am coming from. However, I have to admit looking up on the page that somehow I got the impression that bubblehead had already been attending meetings, sobered up, left, and was simply returning to socialize or network. My apologies if that is not what was being implied as my disease centers in my mind.